Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What's Wrong With This Picture???

Yep, that's my ironing board. I know, lots of people don't iron anymore. However, I still do a few items of ironing.

I have been home sick Monday, Tuesday and today. Each day I've tried to do at least one thing that was productive. Today's effort was to catch up on my 2 1/2 foot tall stack of ironing I haven't been able to get to for several weeks. I was beginning to miss some of those clothes. Time was not such that I could ever get it done. Being sick provided a grand opportunity since I could not be out and about and I could stop and rest as the need arose.

My habit is to plug my iron into the outlet on the end of my island in the kitchen. I set the ironing board up at that end by the breakfast table. Then I use my breakfast table to placed the items on after they are ironed. From this vantage point I can watch television while I iron. I usually don't turn on my television during the daytime. But, when I iron, it is a nice time to check out the History or Science Channel. Today I enjoyed learning about the gadgets made by Heron (not sure of that spelling) for the temples in Alexandria followed by how they built some of the colossal structures in Egypt. I love this kind of programming on television.

Somewhere during these shows I moved the item I was ironing to the next place I wanted to iron. Then I picked up my iron and started to place it in that spot on the clothing. I heard a big crash and looked down at my ironing board spread eagle on the ground. What in the world???

Ever so grateful the iron was in my hand, I placed it on the island. Then I lifted my ironing board to find the screw that goes through a little piece of tube and has a bolt on the other side to keep the legs of the ironing board together and allow them to make that lovely 'X' to stand, was completely sheered off. Okay, I'm sure I've had that ironing board 50,000,000 years but, really, I never expected that to be the reason it might need to be replaced.

Fortunately, in my aged condition and trying to keep life as simple as possible, I purchased a new ironing board for my sewing room in the basement after we moved here so I didn't have to lug an ironing board upstairs when I wanted to iron the clothes that would need to be put away upstairs. I just made my way to the basement and retrieved the nice ironing board from there and was able to finish my ironing project...after a brief rest. Goodness...

Such is the excitement of a girl in the country with a nasty head cold. Isn't life just grand???

No comments:

Post a Comment