Friday, February 1, 2013

Institute Can Be...

Last Thursday we covered Acts 13-18, 1 Corinthians 1-3 and 1st and 2nd Thessalonians in our Institute class. That is a lot of ground to cover. Literally it is an overview of Paul's three missionary journies and several of the letters he wrote to the people where he had established the church. The title given to me to cover this block of scripture was "Wisdom of Men".

I started the class by writing "Wisdom of Men" on the board. Then I turned to my class and said, "Please share your impressions, feelings, and understanding with just these words I've written on the board." My intent was to keep them focused first on the wisdom of men and then enlarge that topic. I just didn't want them to get to the enlarged part before I got there.

We had a lovely discussion. Many of them are college students and they are fully engulfed in the 'wisdom of men' and the importance of gaining that knowledge for their chosen career field in their futures.

Then I asked them what the opposite of the "wisdom of men" would be. I told them I was trying to draw something specific from them. My intent was they would say " wisdom of God" and we would then be able to discuss and flow into the remainder of the lesson from that point. So I asked my question expecting to get that quick response "wisdom of God". It just seemed that would flow naturally and easy...right?

I asked, "What is the opposite of the 'wisdom of men'?" There was a brief hesitation and then David quietly stated, "The 'wisdom of women'"!!  I just lost it. I actually had to lay my head on the table in front of me I was laughing so hard. The entire class broke out in laughter. It was just a great moment.

I do love those moments in this class. Institute can be great fun.

Last night we had a lesson covering 1 Corinthians 4-16. Again there are lots and lots of topics to cover in those chapters. I prepared a lesson plan carefully covering each topic. But I kept feeling the impression I should start on chapter 12 and move to chapter 13 first. I also felt if we didn't get to any other part of my lesson plan, that was okay. It was ready in case we did but if we didn't we would have been well fed spiritually if we just focused on those chapters.

We started with chapter 12 and focused on the 'gifts of the Spirit'. Now, I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In addition to and confirming the teachings found in the Bible we have additional books we consider scripture. In the Doctrine and Covenants there is a section that discusses the 'gifts of the Spirit'. In the Book of Mormon there is also a chapter that discusses the 'gifts of the Spirit'. I prepared worksheets with each of these blocks of scripture at the top of a worksheet and four things to look for as that block of scripture was read. I broke the class into three groups and gave each group one of these blocks of scripture. Then each group read their block together and wrote their responses to their four things they were to look for in their scripture block. Each group designated a presenter. After the preparation time was complete, the presenter for each of the three groups came to the front of the room and shared the insights their group found while reviewing their particular scripture block.

The first leader listed the 'gifts of the Spirit' contained in 1 Corinthians 12. Then they shared examples of the gifts being used and understanding they gained as they studied in their group. The second and third leaders added to the the first groups insights. By the time we finished we all had a pretty good idea what gifts of the Spirit are, that they are to bless our lives and we are to use them to strengthen the Church and others. We understood we all have at least one of these gifts and some several of these gifts. We also understood we were to seek after these gifts for the above stated purposes.

I then asked them to sit quietly for a minute and ponder what gift(s) of the Spirit they feel they have in their lives. I love when the classroom is quiet like that at times and you can see in their faces, watch as they might make a note in their journals, and feel by the Spirit in the room that something is happening that is very good.

After they finished, I then asked if there might be other gifts than those listed on the board that they found as we read the scriptures. I only paused a second as that was a lead in to a quote I wanted to share.  The quote was given by Elder Marvin J. Ashton in 1987. I'm old enough I remember this quote and how neat it was to hear in 1987. I shared that with these young adults and then read the quote:

Let us review some of these less-conspicuous gifts: the gift of asking; the gift of listening; the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice; the gift of being able to weep; the gift of avoiding contention; the gift of being agreeable; the gift of avoiding vain repetition; the gift of seeking that which is righteous; the gift of not passing judgment; the gift of looking to God for guidance; the gift of being a disciple; the gift of caring for others; the gift of being able to ponder; the gift of offering prayer; the gift of bearing a mighty testimony; and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost.

As I read, I paused between each gift so that gift could settle in their minds and hearts. I looked into faces between each gift, and I felt a tingling all through my heart and body. The Spirit was strong. We felt the love of Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ for each of us. These are the 'best gifts' found in the scriptures we had studied and included in this beautiful quote. I confirmed through testimony to these young adults that they each had at least one gift and probably more. These are from a loving Heavenly Father who wants each of them to succeed in their personal lives. He then wants them to use those gifts to bless the lives of others and to serve faithfully in His Church and Kingdom.

It was just a spiritual high for me. A moment in time that I want to remember and treasure and be able to reflect back on when times might be difficult. Therefore, I record it in this journal. May the reading of it touch someone else in a positive way at some point in their lives.

Learning can be fun but it can also be spiritually uplifting and prepare us to take on the next week of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment