Friday, February 1, 2013

The Joy of Visiting Teaching...

We have a lovely program in the Church called Visiting Teaching. Each sister in the ward (congregation) either alone or with a companion is given several sisters to keep in contact with to be sure they are okay. The ideal is that you visit these ladies in their homes at least once each month.

I have five ladies on my visiting teaching list. One of these ladies has been a 'Do Not Contact'. For various reasons some people do not want visits in their homes. This lady had expressed this to a home teacher several years ago and prior to her being placed on my visiting teaching list.

With this understanding I have mailed something to her every month for the last several years. I recognized her birthday with a little homemade gift, a little present at Christmas, a copy of the general conference issue of the Ensign or a copy of a special Ensign that comes out on one topic, a letter, whatever I felt should be sent that month. I always include my name, phone numbers, address and eMail address just in case she might want another form of contact.

After several years of this and absolutely NO response, not even a 'return to sender, I found myself wondering if maybe these bits of correspondence might just hit a trash can unopened. In my heart I felt that was fully her choice but I also felt that I should consistently continue to be a friend through correspondence as best I could.

This week I was surprised to receive in the mail a padded envelope with her name on the return address label. I opened the envelope and out came a note card and a truly beautiful yellow hand crocheted doily.

She expressed her appreciation for the items she has received via mail over these years. She told me the yellow crochet thread was chosen to represent the friendship she felt for me. She expressed tender feelings of her life including daily prayer. She also said she would like to meet me some time. I was overjoyed to say the least. Claude was home and it was great to have someone with whom to share that joy.

I'm grateful for her gift and I do look forward to actually meeting her and getting to know her better. What a great blessing this was in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment