Friday, February 1, 2013

A Harrowing Drive...

One of my big fears in teaching Institute is the drive into Lexington from Sadieville in the winter on bad roads. One of the blessings of being retired is that Claude and I do not have to drive to work on bad roads. If the roads are bad, we can just stay home. I expressed that concern when I was asked to teach Institute and was told that, if I needed to cancel for this reason, this is who I contact and they will get in touch with all the Young Adults and tell them not to come.  That gave me a measure of relief. We made it so far through this winter just fine and no weather related issues on Thursday evening.

Last Thursday we had an ice storm coming in. The forecast was for it to come during the night Thursday night and I was well home before any of it hit.

However, last night there was a forecast for cold winds and snow. The snow started at the end of our Institute class. I realized this when I went to my car and had to brush snow off the top and windows. By the time I got back to the driver's side of the car the snow was again covering the windows. Not a good omen for the 30 minute drive home...on good roads.

I left the meetinghouse and by the time I got up on I-75 the roads were already covered with a layer of snow. It was blowing big flakes right at the car which can have a dizzying effect. But I could tell where the lanes were and could keep my speed up to about 60mph without much concern. If I could keep this up maybe I could get home before it got worse.

As I got to where I-64 and I-75 run together for a bit, I came upon three snow plows, one in each lane of the interstate. They were spreading salt in their respective lanes. There was no need to put their plows down yet as there was just not enough snow to do that on the road. We all slowed to 35 to 40mph and followed them until I-75 splits and heads north. Much to may chagrin they also took I-75. However after they made the curve they separate the distance between them a bit and another car and I were able to get ahead of them. I just wanted to be home and off these roads.

I also wanted to stop at get gasoline. It was $3.35/gallon at the Pilot on the way to Lexington. I had hoped it would be less in Lexington. Alas, the stations in Lexington were up to $3.59/gallon. My hope was to get gas at the Pilot before it also went up in price. As I got to Georgetown the Pilot sign encouraging use of their station further on up I-75 let me know their gas price had also climbed to $3.59/gallon while I was teaching Institute.

The snow let up in the Georgetown area and I actually had dry road for just a tiny bit. Then the storm hit in full fury again. I determined I would not stop for gasoline. It wouldn't save me any money and I had enough to get back for gas on my next trip to town. I just needed to get out of this storm.

The drive from the rest area outside Georgetown on I-75 to my home was bad. There was enough snow that had fallen until you could not tell where any of the lane markings were. The snow was coming thick enough that you really couldn't see very far unless someone had lights on coming on the other side of the Interstate and then just a little. I actually kept hoping I was in the middle of the Interstate so I didn't go off the road. My speed was no more that 30mph. I did manage to creep up behind a semi and could tell he was over to the side because of all his lights. I did go around him and continued on in what I hoped was the middle of the 3 lanes of traffic.

Then it occurred to me I might not be able to see my exit. Fortunately I knew I should look for a guard rail and then a break in that and another guard rail just before the exit. I was able to make out a bright spot in the distance and realized that was the sign for the gas station on the other side of the Interstate at my exit. Then I was able to make out the first guard rail on my side of the Interstate, then the 2nd and the lights of the exit helped me get off I-75 safely.

The snow was all over the state highway I take to get to my home. However, slow and steady does win the race. I was so very, very grateful to be home. It felt great to shut that garage door on the madness of driving in what the weather man was calling a mini-blizzard. Yep, I think he called that one just right. Not a lot of accumulation on the ground this morning but man was it blowing a mini-blizzard last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment