Saturday, February 9, 2013

Creating Cards...

Wednesday, February 6th was our Countryside Homemakers meeting. It was held at Charlotte Archer's home.

I taught the lesson this time on 'Embracing Your Age'. Ironically, one of the points I was to make was the importance of sleep. I found that the Mayo Clinic says and adult needs 7-9 hours of sleep each night. However, Tuesday night I couldn't sleep. This happens more than I care to admit. At 3am Wednesday morning I was still trying to get to sleep and thinking how absurb I was going to tell these ladies to sleep when I didn't even do that myself. Life is definitely full of ironies.

We had a nice chili lunch provided by Charlotte. Then it was time to make our craft.

Janet Preston led this portion of our meeting. She brought things to make cards for Valentine's Day. I provided the card stock.

I found myself feeling a little like one does in elementary school when given an opportunity to create something using our own brain power...stumped. I sat there and looked at that white piece of paper folded in half and pondered what in the world to create. There were ample supplies with which to work. I just needed to come up with a plan. Suddenly, I had absolutely no creative gene in this body.

After a while a thought came to my mind. I didn't know if it would work but it was worth a try. I found a strip of white lace and cut it the length of my card. I folded the long edge of the top side of the card under about 1 inch. Then I laid this lace over the top of it. The lace was actually the kind you run ribbon through. Now, the easy thing would have been to run the ribbon through that lace and glue it on. Alas, my mind went to the harder possibility.

With a pencil, I made a line where the hole for the ribbon to go through the lace was on my card stock. Then with tiny scissors I cut four holes in my card stock. Then I laid the lace down on the inside of the cardstock and proceeded to run the ribbon through the card stock and the lace. Next I adjusted the lengths of the ribbon. Then I tied a bow in the ribbon and cut the ends of the ribbon. This left a big blank spot at the top of the outside of the card.

What to do, what to do...then the flash of intellect came and I knew I would take the heart shaped cookie cutter and use it for a pattern. I drew the heart on the front of my card above my lovely ribbon and lace edge. Then I proceeded to make a little house out of that heart with a chimney.

Here are the ladies and our finished project:
I'm going to think of a fun note to record inside the card and give it to Claude for our 43rd anniversary this Thursday.

It was great fun to be that kid in elementary school again. Hope Claude likes his card!!

No comments:

Post a Comment