Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Highs & Lows of Life in One Day...

Woke up early this morning and headed down the hill.  Andie brought us Columbine plants from her flower beds.  Claude and I determined they should go on the hill on the top of the wall he has made as part of building the path down the hill.  I would weed that spot and then plant the Columbine.  Again, I had to uproot a tree start.  It just never ends on the hill. If felt really good to get this done and feel the anticipation of that row of flowers on our hill.
My plan was to continue on while it was a little cool and weed a flower bed, or two, or three.  I always think I can do more than I can really accomplish.  After finishing all this weeding and then planting, I determined to take my 3 bags of weeds and head back up the hill before weeding anymore.  After climbing that hill, I sat on the glider on the patio and panted.  Clearly I would get no more done today.  Leaving my bags on the patio I stumbled up the stairs and got a bottle of water and sat at the table to cool off and wind down.  It feels sad to desire in my heart to do so many good things and realize my body just doesn't do that much anymore. 

Claude returned from his morning errands and prepared to go out and mow the grass.  He is very happy that his new tractor can cut all our acreage and only use a half tank of gas. The old tractor used 1 1/2 tanks of gas to do the same job.  At one point I went on the deck to throw something out in the yard for the birds to eat.  Claude was coming across the yard on the tractor.  He looked up and saw me and waved.  I waved back.  It is just a little thing but it felt so good.  I love having him home during the day.  It just felt good to be two retired people accomplishing good things at home and caring about each other. 

While Claude cut grass, I did laundry, cleaned upstairs, practiced the piano, and got some computer things accomplished.   It felt good to get these things accomplished.

Into Georgetown I headed to take care of Papa.  He had to go to the doctor to have his blood density checked again.  This time it was at 4.0.  That is not good.  Way too thin.  The nurse looked at me and said, "Does he live with you?"  I told her he lived in his own apartment.  She was very concerned.  She looked right at Papa and told him he had to be very careful. If he cut himself shaving, he would need help right away.  If he fell, he needed to be seen right away to watch for internal bleeding.  This did not feel good at all.  She would call me on my cell phone after talking with Dr. Weckman.  Dr. Weckman had Papa not take his Warfarin Wednesday and Thursday and then drop back to .5 mg beginning with Friday's meds.

I took Papa to his apartment and headed to see Joshua Marcum and his mom, Amber.  Joshua turned 7 years old this last week.  I was going to give him materials to prepare for his baptism when he turns 8 years old.  This is definitely a high.  His eyes full of wonder and his joy with the items to help him prepare.  Love these visits.

Quickly I next entered Kroger and purchased groceries for Papa. Then back to his apartment. I asked Papa to please put the groceries away this time.  But we paused long enough to go over Dr. Weckman's instructions.  Papa had already taken the half tablet of Warfarin out of his pill box for each day.  We took the whole Warfarin table out for Wednesday and Thursday. I changed his chart over his sink so he will refill his med case accurately and instructed Papa that we would go back a week from Friday for another blood test.  I also told Papa not to go for any walks until Friday.  This was hurried but I found it cute Papa and had already taken the half Warfarin out of his pill box of his own accord. 

Dinner was enjoyed with Claude at Zaxby's as he came to Georgetown for a meeting and I left to go grocery shopping for us before heading to Sadieville. This was a high and we both slowed down a bit and caught up on our days.

Grocery shopping was done at Walmart for us.  When I got to the check-out, I did my usual practice of placing the items on the check-out belt in groups to help with bagging.  It just makes the process go more quickly.  I have done this for years and no one has ever said they noticed until today.  The young male checker thanked me for sorting things so his job was easier.  I thanked him for actually noticing.  It felt good.

Tonight I am back at my computer trying to get some of this mountain of things caught up. Well, it will never be caught up but maybe I can make it a bit more manageable.  I have two lists already made for tomorrow.  That should make tomorrow another productive day.  That feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment