Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The 'Eyes' Have It...

Claude lost his glasses several weeks ago. He got home late in the evening from meetings in Lexington and simply could not find them. He searched his Jeep, his pockets, the house and they were no where to be found. He called the gas station where he filled the Jeep with gas on his way home to see if anyone turned them in, no luck. He called the hotel were the meeting took place. They told him any lost items would go to housekeeping and they would not be back until the next day. He left his name and phone number with the gas station and the hotel. It was still really bothering him so he drove to the gas station and the hotel, talked with attendants and retraced his steps, made sure they had his name and phone number and came home empty handed.

The glass half full part of this is that Claude had been talking about getting another eye exam. The last time we had this done was about three years ago and he felt it was time. So, while we were both in Georgetown together one day, we went to the new eye doctor in town and made appointments at the same time to get our eyes checked.

Thursday, May 1st Claude had his appointment at 10:45 and mine was at 11am.  There is a tech that does the preliminary work, then you see the actual doctor.  Claude got to the doctor part first.  I was told I should go in the room where the doctor was checking Claude and wait.

The doctor had a big contraption in front of Claude's face and was twisting knobs and asking which looked best of each tiny change. The coolest part was when they did a magnified look at each of Claude's eyes. The eyelashes look huge, all the veins in the eye show up, it was just interesting for me to see that on a monitor. 

Then it was my turn to see the doctor. Claude sat and watched my visit with the eye doctor. He started out by asking me if I wanted glasses today.  I just looked the man straight in the eye (no pun intended) and said, "Your task today is to tell me I can still use just my readers. I do not want eye glasses.  I just want my readers.  That is what you are to do for me today."  He grinned from ear to ear. Then he started his exam of my eyes with the big contraption (Don't you love my use of technical eye doctor language?).

Turns out my eyes have excellent pressure in them, I have a few floaters which is normal, and my vision is the same in both eyes so I can keep using just my readers and not buy expensive glasses.  I love this as I can keep readers in lots of locations and replace them as needed.  The doctor did just what I asked.  Yeah!!

Claude on the other hand had to get new glasses as his prescription changed.  Not so inexpensive for the Big Guy. 

Claude never heard anything from the gas station or the hotel.  Getting old leads to some pretty interesting dates for us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment