Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Ladies...

Yesterday, Monday, May 19th, I almost forgot...

The Scott County Extension Homemakers has an annual banquet.  This year it was scheduled for Tuesday, May 20th. Then they realized last month that was election day and not necessarily a good day for the dinner.  So the dinner was moved to Monday, May 19th. I moved the date in my calendar.

Yesterday morning I looked at the calendar again and never paid attention to the meeting. I was up and going at 6:30am. Laundry was finished for me and done for Papa. The kitchen was cleaned. I got these things done and many others. I went full tilt all morning with the intention to head to Papa's to clean his kitchen floors, work on his computer and buy his groceries in the afternoon. 

By the time I got to a stopping place in my home, I left about 3:30 to go to Georgetown.  I was feeling good. I would do what I needed to do for Papa and spend some time with him. Then I was going to stop by KFC to buy dinner for Claude and me on my way home.

I made sure the grocery list was accurate at Papa's and told him I wanted to buy his groceries before I did the floor and worked on his computer.  That was fine with him. He would not go grocery shopping with me because he forgot I was coming and had done his walk.  One walk a day is all his body can take. 

I hurried to Kroger and raced through the grocery shopping. Then I quickly headed to my car anxious to get back to Papa's.  As I wheeled that cart toward my car, the light suddenly came on in my head.  I had a dinner to be at, at 6pm. Oh My Goodness!!

Back to Papa's I hurried and told him I had made a huge mistake.  I quickly explained where I was supposed to be.  Papa got up and said, "You go on and I'll put the groceries away."  Love his heart.  I know he appreciates the visits and the help. He was very gracious.

Well, it was now 4:30pm. I had to get Claude's dinner at KFC, hurry back to Sadieville, curl my hair, put on make-up, find something appropriate to wear and get back to Georgetown for the dinner by 6pm.  

Amazingly, I did it and arrived 5 minutes before time for the dinner to start.  All the ladies in the Countryside Homemakers club saved me a seat at our table.
Left to Right:  Kathleen & Janet Preston, Elaine Rutledge, Kathy Dunaway, Detta Wilson, Anne Zeyzing and JoCarol Wilson.

It is always nice to be with these ladies.  We enjoyed a wonderful turkey dinner.  Clubs and people were recognized for their service and accomplishments.  Our Countryside Homemakers Club received the privilege of being in the first groups to go to the buffet because we had someone at every lesson leader training.  I received a bookmark for the books I read this past year. The scholarship was awarded.  The business meeting was held and new officers were voted on. Then the entertainment took place.

This year Trish Clark of Kentucky Chautauqua acted out "Mary Todd Lincoln - A House Divided".  She was fantastic.  It was such a moving performance.  Totally happy I got to see that one.
What a day. It went fast and went full and well. I will do my Papa chores on Wednesday when I go in to take him to the nursing home.

No comments:

Post a Comment