Thursday, December 17, 2015

Lovin' Love's...& KLC Lunch...

Today was the Grand Opening of the newest Love's Travel Plaza right here in Sadieville. This has been under construction for over a year. Lots of hurdles to cross. Awful snow last February which slowed construction for over a month. Rainy spring that kept the ground to wet to work. A hill to move to fill in another hill and extra things to make that work. It was a mammoth job. But it is now finished and opened for business December 10th with the Grand Opening and ribbon cutting by the Chamber of Commerce this morning at 10am.

We had a wonderful turn out from Sadieville and Georgetown and Scott County. Love's was very pleased with the citizen's who came to share in this moment. 

When Love's builds a new travel plaza in a community, they find a local 401c3 and make a $2000 donation to it. They called our City Clerk and Sandy referred them to me as the Chair for the Friends of Sadieville. I told Chris Corbaz in Oklahoma City how grateful we were for this generous donation. I explained to him about our restoring the Rosenwald School and how we are now working with the City of Sadieville to restore the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church to be a Community Center for Sadieville. This would go directly to help with the restoration. He was very pleased we already had a great need and purpose for this donation. This is a picture of Mr. Zafor, the General Manager, presenting the check to me. Very nice moment.
This is probably my favorite picture of the day so far.  And, I don't even know who took it to give them credit. That is my purse. When it came time for me to receive this check, I turned to Claude to ask him to hold my purse while I received the check so it wouldn't be in the pictures. Then we weren't sure Claude wouldn't also be in the pictures. Senator Damon Thayer was standing with us and I said Claude should hand my purse to Senator Thayer. He was adamant he was not going to hold my purse. Silly man. So Claude turned to Bobbie Bruner, who is Sadieville's Police Chief, and Bobbie took the purse and held it while we accepted the check from Love's. Bless Bobbie's heart. Truly appreciate his service which is above and beyond his role as Police Chief.
So it was a great morning for Sadieville and for Love's and for Scott County. I even tried a Hardee's biscuit and I pronounce them the best. They are made from scratch every day. I shall be having more of those tender morsels in my future!

We hurried from the next event to Lexington. Claude had an invitation for us to attend the Kentucky League of Cities (KLC) Holiday Lunch for all their office staff. Claude is 1st Vice President. This was held at a newly renovated restaurant that was just a beautiful facility. The meal was served buffet style and was delicious. After the meal we enjoyed a parade. Yep a real Christmas parade. Anyone who came in Christmas attire could participate and they followed Jon Steiner around the room in a parade of their costumes. This was followed by a judging with applause for the best costumes. Many prizes were given.  

Here are my three favorites:
This young lady was a Christmas tree. She thanked her dog for helping her put this costume together.
Okay, I'm guessing this is a tree skirt used as a cape for this gentleman. That Santa hat on his head had a mind of its own. The pointed top would just pop up of its own accord and then go back down. He was having great fun in this costume.
I noticed a table near us where all the ladies were wearing these red reindeer antlers. I thought that was very cute. Then they announced the parade and they all got up together. That was when I put it together. The lady with the red nose was Rudolph and the other ladies she works with were the reindeer.

It was fun to be with the KLC crowd again. They are such nice people and seem to appreciate working with Claude.

No comments:

Post a Comment