Tuesday, January 26, 2016

It's GREAT to be Gramma...

Well, it finally happened. Not something I had ever contemplated. Funny how I knew I wanted to be a Mom. Then I knew I wanted to be a Gramma. But for some reason, I thought being a Great Gramma was not going to happen for many years. Just wasn't a notion I toyed with at all. Claude was the same way about being a Great Grampa. Then...Katelyn was suddenly old enough to marry and have a baby. That would make Claude and me Great Grandparents. Yike!!

Friday, January 22nd, I received a call from Katelyn while hunkered down in my home. She was at her mother's home in Muskegon. She was having contractions and was pretty sure she would have the baby that day or the next. She and Drew live in Grand Haven but the hospital she would deliver in was in Muskegon. So she got herself to Muskegon while Drew was at work so she would be there if things came quickly. 

Todd had been visiting someone and came home to find Katelyn in early labor. He told her they were headed to the hospital. Drew was called. It was at the end of his shift so he did get a full day of work before this began. Nissa was called as she was at work. They all met at the hospital. By 6:44 a little baby girl was born.
Drew posted this picture on Facebook and then we knew it was okay to spread the word. Her name is Raelyn Jay Roper. She weighed 7 lbs. 13 oz. and was 19 inches long. She is a bundle of joy.

Then pictures started to come. Here as just a few.
Doesn't she look like..."What have I gotten myself into?"
Katelyn with her baby girl.
Drew with his little girl.
The little family.

Nissa with her first grandchild. Raelyn was just born and look at those wide open eyes. She and Nissa are going to be great together. 
Three generations: Katelyn, Raelyn and Nissa.
Katelyn posted this on Facebook the day after Raelyn's birth (January 23rd) with this statement: "Never knew how much love I could have for one person. So very grateful she takes after her Great Grandpa Claude and believes in naps. Hopefully that sticks...."  I definitely got a chuckle out of that one.
Look at that little face!
Raelyn holding Nissa's finger. She was just born. Love hand pictures. They speak volumes.
And finally, Raelyn on an outing Monday (Jan 28th) to visit Gramma Nissa. 

This is such a wonderful experience. Even from a distance. Looking forward to holding her myself and kissing that sweet little neck. That is truly the softest, sweetest kisses on a baby. Welcome to the family Raelyn! Or maybe RJ. That is what Nissa is calling her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment