Saturday, May 14, 2016

Keeping Up With Papa...

Papa turned 88 years old on May 3rd. His birthday was spread over Tuesday the 3rd and Wednesday the 4th.

Tuesday I stopped at the Pilot Station on my way to Georgetown. I picked up Hostess Cupcakes. These would serve as the birthday cake. Papa is not supposed to have sugar but, really, 88 year old people should have some sugar every now and then. 

Then I stopped at Kohl's to get him two new t-shirts for presents. I had been listening to a Carpenter's CD while driving and had a song rolling through my head and coming out of my mouth as I walked into the store. I didn't notice the curb and tripped. Couldn't catch myself and down I went. Goodness. My left palm and right knee took the brunt of the fall. As I lay face down in front of Kohl's, my first thought is, "And I'm worried about Papa falling?" I seem to do this more than I care to admit. But, I wasn't paying attention and was just enjoying the music in my head.

There were two other ladies there when I fell. One was entering the store, the other was returning a wheel chair she borrowed to the store. They both asked me if I was okay and if I hurt anything. I assured them I thought only my pride was injured. The lady with the wheel chair also asked if I broke anything. That is always a worry when you see someone with a full head of gray hair. I turned to the lady with the wheel chair and assured her if she was finished with that item I might could use it. We all laughed.

The thing that happens when you fall that full out and solid is your body goes into a shock. I first had to get that under control and it takes longer the older I get. Then I had to find a way to roll around to get up. So much arthritis and hurts already in this aging body and to add new ones just makes getting up a full circus experience. But I did get up, nothing was broken, I knew I was bruised in some places and they would probably really manifest themselves the next day. But I had to buy t-shirts for Papa, so I did that.

Papa loved his cup cakes and his t-shirts and his Girl Scout cookies.

Wednesday, May 4th, I picked Papa up in the afternoon and we went to Lexington. Papa mentioned some time back that he could not remember ever eating lobster. He thought he might want to try lobster. I knew his birthday was coming up so I suggested I take him to Red Lobster for his birthday. He was happy about that so we had our plan. The 4th we would complete the plan. 

We picked out a meal that had lobster, salmon and grilled shrimp. Papa tasted the salmon first. He made a funny face and asked what that was. I told him it was salmon and he moved on to the lobster. He tasted the lobster and said, "There is nothing special about that!"  He truly enjoyed the grilled shrimp. Before all was said and done he ate everything on his plate. 

As we left Red Lobster, the lady that seats people said something to Papa. He told her he had just had lobster for the first time. She smiled from ear-to-ear and asked if he enjoyed his meal. I'm sure she felt confident he would say yes. However, he turned and looked at her and said, "Well, I'll never have to try THAT again!" She laughed. Oh my!!!

I would have loved to have pictures of this experience. But, alas, I left my cell phone at home!

Then we were off to see Dr. Weckman. Time for the next INR. Papa is all over the place with these INR readings. But we keep trying to keep the reading in the good range. Such is the nature of taking a blood thinner.

Papa has really enjoyed the changes in nature during the spring and all the little animals that are enjoying the warmer weather. He sits in a chair in the back bedroom of his apartment and watches the little animals play. There are a couple of rabbits which means we should have bunnies this summer. There is a pair of robins that must have a nest somewhere although we haven't seen it. They play on the grass between his apartment and the apartment across the grass. Lots of critters and Papa is back in his childhood where he spent lots of time in the woods where they lived watching the birds and animals. So happy that his apartment is in this location so he can enjoy them.
He has also loved the trees as they blossomed and then leafed out. He loves flowers of all kinds. I bought him a basket full of flowers and they are growing on his patio. Brings him lots of joy to see them out there.
The other feature in his home that he truly loves is his wall of pictures of his family. 
I know he has a less that exciting existence. But I am grateful that he has these things that bring him happiness.

Let's see what year 88 brings for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment