Saturday, July 30, 2016

Caring for Papa...

Wednesday, July 20th was 'doctor visit' day again for Papa. 

First, he went to see Dr. Thomas, his cardiologist. Dr. Thomas was pleased with how he is doing since prescribing a new medication last time we visited him. Papa's Atrial Fibrillation has really not bothered him hardly at all since starting this new medication. So, we don't go back for several months unless Papa has some kind of heart event.

Second, we went to Dr. Weckman's office for another INR to check the thickness of his blood. It was at 2.5. Since the count is to be between 2 and 3, 2.5 is the best it can be. We keep his Warfarin at 7mg each day and come back in a month. 

As I pulled out of the parking lot, I told Papa he was such a great patient that he deserved a chocolate shake. Never one to turn down anything chocolate, we turned right and went to Burger King for a chocolate shake. Then we went to Papa's apartment and rested for a bit till time to go to the nursing home.

This is how we rested...Papa had a floor lamp that had 3 lights literally hanging and tied in place on the pole. I have offered over the years to replace it but my depression era father has refused that offer. Then, the day before this visit, the lamp fell over and Papa caught it as it came at him. Fortunately!! I told Papa that was it. I would buy him another floor lamp. I picked one up at Walmart. While we waited to go to the nursing home I put it together and we got it in position for him to simply reach up and turn it on. He was happy. I was happy another worn out object was out of his apartment. 

His watch finally bit the dust also and I purchased him another at Walmart. Just a little one to keep him going. When I visited yesterday, he assured me we had a problem. He whacked his wrist a bit as he came through a door and the glass top of the watch broke off. I have purchased him another watch from Walmart and will take it too him on my next visit. 

I finally spoke with someone about his fridge. It quit working when Jake visited several months ago. It was a Saturday night. I called maintenance for the apartment. He said he had a loaner he could bring over and Papa could use until he brought a proper fridge. He brought it and the door opened the wrong direction. But we knew it was going to be replaced so we didn't say anything. Just happy he had a fridge. After several months, I talked with the realty company and they didn't know he was using a loaner. They purchased a new fridge and brought it out Tuesday afternoon. I was at Papa's and, when they took it off the truck, I simply said, "This one opens on the wrong side as well." So the Lowe's guys brought the fridge in and changed the handles to the other side. Fascinating to watch. I knew that could be done but have never watched it done before. Lots of work but it is just fine. Papa has a huge black refrigerator in his kitchen that opens on the correct side.

Took Papa on a nice drive and even managed to finds some new roads we haven't been on. He so much loves these drives. This was only about 3 hours out and we made it home before the rain storms came. 

Yesterday was my little sister's birthday. She is 5 years younger than me. She lives in Oklahoma and doesn't call Papa. I had this impression that I should have him call her. So I got to Papa's apartment and explained to Papa it was Neffie's birthday. I told him I would call her and get her on the phone. Then I would quickly give him the phone and he should start singing "Happy Birthday" to her. I called Neffie. Unfortunately she did not answer, so I left a message asking her to call me. She called back in a bit and I gave Papa the phone. He had the biggest smile while he sang to his little girl. They had a good little talk. He got confused a lot and thought he was talking to Junie, who does call about once a week. But it was such a good thing to let them have this moment in time. I believe Neffie was very happy to have her Papa sing to her one more time. Neffie was the last one of us home and would go with Papa and sing with his band when they performed. 

We are into the third weed that Papa is in love with this summer. We started with those beautiful yellow flowers named dandelions and learned about them turning into the big white light balls of seeds that blow away. That lasted until they sprayed for them and cut them down. Second he fell in love with clover blossoms and those just don't go away. Now, we are in love with a big white flower that is in his back yard close to the woods. Fortunately, they are prolific. We learned they are Queen Anne's lace. They look only white but when you pick one (as Papa is doing and putting them in a cup of water on his counter) you find a deep red center tiny blossom. They get their name (as the story goes) because Queen Anne in England actually pricked her finger and a drop of blood fell on her white lace dress, hence, Queen Anne's Lace. I believe these will continue into the fall and bring Papa much joy.

Papa is also very taken with trees this year. He loves their shapes. His street is lined with trees that were planted just because of their shape and color. He enjoys the drive in and out of his community and always comments about those trees. They do bring him joy. This only heightens my appreciation of the beauty around me. I seem to be noticing it more and wonder if, as I continue this aging process myself, I will come to find that noticing the beauty of some things is one of my greatest pleasures. Pause for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment