Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Cars...Ours...Not the Movie...

A week ago I took my car in for an oil change and to have the tires rotated. Pretty standard stuff. However, last Friday as I was getting ready to go take Papa for a drive, I started my car and this warning light came on. It is a drawing of a tire. The words on the display said to check tire pressure. I pressed the buttons to display tire pressure. They said my left rear tire was only 22 pounds per square inch. Should be a little over 30. Not good.

I went back in the house and asked Claude if he could put his air pump thing for tires on and make sure I was okay. He came to the garage and we plugged it into my cigarette lighter in the car and he made sure each tire was fine. The strange thing is the pressure gauge he put on the left rear tire said there was over 30 psi of pressure not 22 psi. Hmmmm...

While Claude worked on the four tires, I pulled out my owners manual and checked to see what it said. It did have information stating this warning light could come on after having the tires rotated or new ones installed if they are not reconnected to the sensors in the right order. Hmmmm...maybe that was the problem, not really an air pressure problem.

After Claude worked on the air pressure in each tire, the warning light went off. I took Papa for his drive and no more warning lights. I thought we were okay. Until...Sunday evening. There was the warning light again. 

I was not well Monday so I didn't drive the car. This morning I went out to get in it to go get my hair cut. There was the warning light still. After I get home from my hair cut, I took out the air pressure gauge I keep in my car and, sure enough, it said there was 30+ psi in the left rear even though the warning light said 22 psi. I checked twice to be sure. Then I came inside and called Frank Shoop and told them the situation. Mark said to bring it in anytime except during their lunch time and he would fit me in to reset everything. I was headed to Georgetown so I added that to my to do list for my Georgetown run.

Flash back to Sunday. Claude went to the Church meetings in Frankfort to speak. Howard, our friend, came in and told Claude they had a report that a yellow Jeep in the parking lot had their lights on. No one knew who it belonged to. Howard was pretty sure it was Claude's. Sure enough, Claude's lights were on. Claude told me he found his lights on once before but thought maybe he left them on by accident. This was a little weird. Now he thought he had a wiring problems of some kind with the Jeep.

Now, back to me...I went to Georgetown, bought Papa's groceries and took them to his apartment. Then I left and went to Frank Shoop's and they took me right in. They fixed my warning light issue and it was what the owner's manual said it was. I left there, went to the drug store and got my prescription, then back to Papa's to clean and then visit till Claude came to Georgetown. 

Claude and I met at Chick-fil-A for dinner before he left for a meeting. 

After dinner I bought our groceries and headed home. I put them away and came downstairs to start catching up on these Blog posts. My cell phone rang and it scared me to death. Well, not really to death, but I was not expecting any calls and I did jump when it rang. I was ready to be home and have a quiet evening doing a few little things that I wanted to get done. That phone call changed my evening plans.

On the other end was my hubby. He simply said, "I need rescued!" What? It turns out Claude came out of his meeting at 8pm and the Jeep would not start. He needed me to come so he could jump start the Jeep with my car. I told him I would be there a quick as I could get back in to town. 

When I got to the parking lot there he was, he was sitting in the Jeep and it was running. He was parked in the lot behind City Hall and by the Police Station. A jailer came out and he helped Claude get the Jeep jump started. Claude was waiting for me so I could follow him back home in case something went wrong. I followed him home and everything went fine.

Clearly he has some kind of electrical thing going on that the lights come on after he leaves the Jeep and then the battery runs down. Oh the joy of having cars. Such a blessing but just like houses, they seem to need attention. Tomorrow is a full day for me and for Claude. He may end up renting a car if the Jeep doesn't stay charged. He will put it on the trickle charger tonight and we'll see what tomorrow brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment