Friday, September 23, 2016

Sadieville...

Lots of things happening in our little 'Ville'. 

Monday, September 19th, we had our Friends of Sadieville Board Meeting. We planned our October 15th Trailhead Ribbon Cutting, Chili Cook-off and MusicFest. That right, three, three, three things in one. 

After the meeting, I drove around to the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church. We are diligently trying, a little step at the time, to restore this historic building to be the Sadieville Community Center. This summer the projects have included replacing the beautiful windows (managing to keep their original shape and style), painting the outside and adding a deck to the back. My goal on this visit was to take more recent pictures on the work on the deck.
Then I checked out my flower bed I've been working at since April. No pictures of it. It will take forever to get ride of the flowers that had been planted there. But I'll keep at it. I've had an awful time with allergies and have tried to stay inside air-conditioning. But next week will find me pulling weeds again in that bed. The plants I had planted were all taking hold. The day lilies and Japanese irises are doing well. I think I want to get a few stepping stones and put them in the bed to delineate the groups of plants and give me something to sit on when I weed. 

I also checked out the crab apple tree on the city property. It is laden with crab apples. I really want to pick them and make more jelly. My family loved that as Christmas gifts a few years ago and I would like to try that again. This tree is full of poison ivy so I'll have to be careful.

During this meeting, Claude was at the Sadieville Park installing the Fixit Station for the bicycle trailhead. Later this week he installed the new bike rack. The bicyclists love to ride these roads in and around Sadieville. They can have a challenging ride or and easy ride. As part of the effort to get the Trailhead designation for Sadieville, we have created a trailhead for bicyclist at Sadieville Park. The local bicycle club has donated the Fixit Station and the bike rack. The city has purchased a cooling station which is really a water fountain that immediately dispenses cold water where the bicyclist can refill water bottles and cool themselves down. Below are pictures of the new signs in Sadieville indicating our being a part of the Bluegrass Trailhead System and pictures of the Fixit Station, Cooling Station and bike rack.
We have had an annual Chili Cook-off for several years now. This year we will hold it in conjunction with the Trailhead Ribbon Cutting and Merle Tussey will come and provide our final MusicFest of the year. Claude has asked Scott County Judge Executive George Lusby and Mayer Kayla Jones of Stamping Ground to help judge our chili cook-off. We will find one more judge but the event is coming along nicely and things in our little 'Ville' are also moving along nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment