Thursday, September 15, 2016

Tires & Cars...

So, the last time I posted (September 3) about cars, I mentioned my left front tire having a slow leak. End result, after another day with low air pressure, I called Frank Shoop. Took the car in September 7th for them to see what was causing this leak. 

While they were checking it, I strolled to the sales floor and was introduced to a very nice young man named Orlando. He showed me two cars I was interested in, a Buick LaCrosse and a Buick Envision. The LaCrosse is the biggest sedan Buick makes now, much to my chagrin. As soon as I peeked in I was disappointed. There was a big console between the driver and passenger side of the front seat. Even looking at it I felt claustrophobic. I asked and learned they are making all the cars this way. NOOOOO... Someone must really think that is a great idea but it isn't me! I really liked the Envision best. Size-wise it is between the Enclave and the Encore. And, it is supposed to be a cross between a sedan and an SUV. It truly looks like an SUV. I did not drive either car. But I did have Orlando show me the color possibilities. There was a dark blue that almost looked purple. Okay, I had no intention of purchasing a car. I stated that right up front and very matter-of-factly to Orlando. But I assured him if that car really was a deep purple, I would write a check that day. (Seriously, I had no checks with me, but I would have called Claude.) It turned out to be the angle on a beautiful deep blue color. However, they do have a paint color that is amethyst. That is a lighter version of purple. I was struck by it but would need to see a real car in that color before purchasing it. While I love purple, I also know very well that not all things in life should be purple. Even cars.

I had a fun time visiting with Orlando. He was definitely not a pressure salesman and I totally appreciated that fact. I told him I wanted Claude to look at the cars and maybe drive them as we processed the purchase of a car.

In the meantime, the slow leak problem turned out to be a nail in the tire. My first question, "I bought my tires here. Are they covered in a warranty?" The answer, "No." This is a road hazard and that is not covered in the warranty. Of course... New tire would be $150. Not in stock. They could have it by the afternoon. This was a Wednesday and my afternoon and evening were full. I opted to come back on Thursday to get the new tire put on.

Off to the bank, the grocery store for Papa and then to Papa's. My evening would be spent teaching Institute. 

In the meantime, back in Sadieville, our shower was leaking again. This happened earlier in the year. Claude tried to repair it but we still had a leak to the basement. Eventually Claude gave in and called a plumber who fixed the leak and told Claude he would need to re-caulk at certain intervals. Claude made a nice patch in the vent in the basement and we were happy. Until...Claude tried to re-caulk. Then we had another leak.  Off came the vent cover repair job Claude did on the previous repair. Down went the brown plastic tub to catch the water so it didn't damage the basement carpet. And, Claude proceeded to try to repair. After a period of several days, he finally called a plumber. While I was at the dealership, Claude was working with a nice older gentleman as he worked on our shower drain. He completely replaced that pipe and told Claude he shouldn't have to caulk it at all, ever. We have let the opening in the basement alone until we are sure we have no more leaks but all is well. This little older man was so nice Claude said he felt like he should pay him more. I found that interesting!

I went back Thursday morning, September 8th, and Claude rode in with me. While they put the new tire on the car, Claude and I looked up Orlando and Claude had a nice visit with him. Claude test drove the Envision. He liked it as well. For some reason, even though it also has a big console between the driver and passenger seats, it feels a little bigger. If it comes with a sun-roof, that would help even more. 

Okay, the cute part is that green Jeep Claude saw some time back on Frank Shoop's lot. It was on one of the trips to fix his Jeep when it kept dying on him. It is a very, very bright lime green. We are at that awkward place where it is time to look at replacing both our cars. Not a fun place to be. We were hoping to wait for Claude until next year when Jeep puts out a truck version of the Jeep. But that green Jeep really speaks to him every time he sees it. So, while we are talking with Orlando, Claude said, "So how about this, you give me a buy one get one free deal. I'll buy the car out right and you throw in the Jeep?" Orlando got a great laugh out of that. 

They put my new tire on. I paid them, and we were off to have a nice lunch together. We haven't determined to buy me a new car yet. I do really like the Envision better. But we'll see what we decide. 

In the meantime, I went out yesterday to drive into Georgetown and, wait for it, wait for it, my left rear tire was down to 15 pounds. What in the world is going on? I pulled out the portable charger and filled it with air. Now I'll just watch and see what happens. Goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment