Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Road Trip...

Okay, Claude and I do not need three cars. We really need two but we definitely don't need three. The Lucerne would not give us much in trade. We both felt the best thing to do was offer it to a grandmonster. We called Nissa and Todd and shared our thoughts about who should get it. We all agreed that Katelyn should get it and she should give her car to Aubrey. We called Katelyn and told her what we wanted to do and she was very happy with getting a newer car. 

We contacted everyone about the timing for us to bring the Lucerne to Michigan to Katelyn. This would be a quick three day trip. Leaving on Sunday, February 5th in the afternoon and going to Chelsea. Having Sunday evening with Jacob and spending that night in Chelsea. Then off to Muskegon on Monday where Nissa would have the entire day off. Nissa would get Raelyn so we could have her while Katelyn worked and Drew slept. We would sign the title over to Drew and Katelyn on Monday after Katelyn got off work. Then we would return home on Monday. The weather was to be rainy but that is so much better than snow this time of year that we were delighted. When I contacted Jacob and told him our proposed plan and verified he would be available Sunday evening, he gave me the cutest statement about giving the Lucerne to Katelyn, "So, Katelyn is joining me as an heir to the Buick line!" Yep the two previous Buick's were given to Jacob. 

We had a great visit with Jake on Sunday. Claude was feeling poorly so we ordered pizza into our hotel room and hunkered down in the room for a nice visit. Didn't even watch the Superbowl. But we checked the scores on our cell phones every now and then. You see, the New England Patriots are the favored team of Drew. The rest of us really didn't care a whole lot about it. It is always nice to visit with Jake.

Monday we drove directly to Muskegon. Did not stop of Krispy Kreme. Just forged our way to Muskegon. We had rain and fog all day Sunday as we drove. Monday turned out to be a much better day weather wise. It got into the 60 degrees. Quite out of the norm for Michigan that time of year, especially Muskegon which is right on Lake Michigan. 

Nissa got Raelyn in the morning so we could have her for the day. 
Paul came over for a visit. Nissa and I would pick up Aubrey from work for a visit. We all went to Pita Place for lunch. Raelyn was watching the men at the table next to us. I assured them they might have to share with her. They were quite smitten with our little one. She was very well behaved and ate well. 
We wore her out and she was quite ready for a nap when we got her back to Nissa's home.

Katelyn got off work a little earlier and she and Drew drove over. We found a notary and took the title to sign the Lucerne over to them. Paul walked home. Aubrey had friends pick her up. Todd came home. We ordered pizza from Pizza Hut and had a nice dinner with Nissa, Todd, Katelyn, Drew, Raelyn, Claude and me. Then it was time to find a pillow and get some rest before the long ride home on Tuesday. 

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Muskegon. It is near the Harbor for Lake Muskegon. Lovely facility. We were tiring of the Comfort Inn we have stayed at for year's in Muskegon. They are just getting more and more rules and not nearly as user friendly as they were years ago. So we have decided to try some other hotels and find another place we like to stay when in Muskegon. Claude and I were both very happy with the Holiday Inn.

Katelyn sent me this picture of Raelyn's first ride in the back on the Lucerne.
Katelyn asked me if I ever named my cars. I told her I had not. Monday night I got a text from her saying she was naming the red Lucerne. It would be 'Virginia Rose'. I told her Virginia was Mimi's first name. She is very happy with the 'new to her' car. 

The drive home was rainy and foggy again. We stopped in Bowling Green for lunch, gasoline and so Claude could lead a conference call. While in the ladies room at the Wendy's in Bowling Green, I noticed this and found in very interesting. 
Claude asked me as we drove home if it was hard for me to give up the Lucerne. I have truly loved that car. I told him I really thought it would be harder. But when I knew it was going to someone I loved who would love it as much as I did, it just seemed easier to part with it. Even though at that point I had only driven the Envision a couple of times.

The other observation I had and shared with Katelyn was a memory of her living with us the summer after she graduated from High School. She was learning to drive and asked many times if she could drive the Lucerne. I always said no. I told Katelyn I found it interesting that now I could just give her the keys and hand it over without a tear. She had thought of that as well. She is very grateful and that feels good to me and to Claude.

No comments:

Post a Comment