Sunday, February 4, 2018

Six Things...

Monday, January 29th, in the morning while sitting in the living room, I heard a little bird singing away outside. This was the second time I heard it. I have to say it sounded like it was springtime outside. I expected to get up and look out the windows to see leaves budding out on the trees and flowers popping up from the ground. Alas, that was not happening. But I very much enjoyed our little singing visitor. It made me want to go buy an Easter dress!! I haven't done that but once since we moved to Kentucky. Maybe I shall this year...

Wednesday, January 31st, we would have a Lunar Trifecta. First, a Supermoon. That is when the moon is closest to the earth. Second, a Blue Moon. That is the second full moon in a month. A lunar month is 28 days so occasionally it will happen that you have two full moons in one month. The second full moon is called the Blue Moon and that is where the saying, "Once in a Blue Moon" comes from. So, now you know. The third in our Lunar Trifecta was a partial eclipse. Now, Kentucky was on the edge of that so not a full eclipse. When there is a Lunar Eclipse, the shadow causes the surface of the moon to look red. Hence the name Blood Moon. I set my alarm for 5am, 6am and 7am. Got up each time to check the progress. So wish I could get a really good picture of the surface of the moon but my camera is just not up to that kind of photography. But I have mental pictures and they are spectacular. The second picture I took just as the moon was making its ascent as dusk was coming on.
Thursday, February 1st, I visited my eye doctor. The assistant asked if she could write a prescription for glasses this time. I quickly educated her that my hearts desire is to only have to use my readers as long as I can. They are very inexpensive and I can put them all over the place. Fortunately, there was no change and I could keep wearing my readers. Yippee!! A great start to my day. After treating myself to a biscuit at Bojangles for breakfast, I visited Papa for several hours before heading home.

Bad weather was in the forecast. We had a Facilitator's Training session in Lexington to lead at 7pm and the original forecast was the weather wouldn't come in until we finished it. We went to dinner at BD Mongolian Grill and then to the training. It was snowing and sticking to the grass as we got to the Stake Center. When we came out the handrails on the stairs were iced over but the sidewalks were not icy. Thank heavens! We made our way home as the roads were getting slushy. I was doing some reading on my Kindle and Claude tapped my arm and told me to look up. I saw what he was seeing, an awful wreck. Someone spun out on in entrance ramp to I-75 and I do believe the car flipped. There were emergency vehicles a plenty with lots and lots of flashing lights. We watched the news when we got home but no coverage of that wreck. Grateful to get home and inside as the roads deteriorated.

Friday, February 2nd, we went to LaGrange in the afternoon. Bailey's birthday is this week but we can't go on that day. So the Marx family let us take them to Bailey's restaurant of choice for dinner and then to Dairy Queen for dessert. Bailey opened presents and had a great time. Her choice of places to eat was a Sports Bar!! It seems she was out with a friend and her parents and they took them there to eat. Bailey loved it with all the TV screens. There is one at each table even. In the ladies room the mirror is actually a TV screen. Goodness. The food was excellent and it is really a family place as well. 

Here are a couple of pictures when Bailey opened presents. The first one is a book I made for her. I learned that Bailey's birthday is my Mother's father's birthday as well. This would be Bailey's great great grandfather. She never would have known him. I loved Grampa Fisch. Head of snow white hair that was very unruly. A kind heart. Chewed tobacco and would let us twist up the chew for him before he put it in his mouth. He had no teeth and this helped him get going on a new chew. I went through the pictures I had of him and made Bailey this little book with pictures and descriptions and labels of names so she could get to know that wonderful man. The second picture is Bailey getting the gift she most wanted, a DVD of the My Little Pony movie. She is growing up so fast, it makes me happy she still loved these kinds of things. She was very, very happy to get this movie.
Saturday, February 3rd, I had a task I really wanted to get done. My cell phone had a clear plastic cover on the screen to protect it. It was pitted and had some lint that got under the cover. I lifted it to get it out and the sticky that kept it on came loose so I had a large spot under the plastic. It was just time to replace it. I told Claude I wanted to do that. He has the same phone but he opted for a glass cover to protect his screen. It too was getting pitted and time to replace. He had been hesitant because he had already done that once and it was $35 for a new one. 

After a nice visit with Papa, I went to the AT&T store by Walmart across town from the nursing home. The nice young man asked to help. I showed him my phone and told him my need. He went to see 'if' they had one. He went to the wall with discontinued items. This did not bode well. The result was he didn't have a plastic one. I told him Claude had a glass one and asked if he had one of those instead or anything that would work on the phone. Nope. Nada. Nothing. However, he was kind enough to ask if I knew where the Sonic was. I assured him I did. He then told me to go to the new store across from it that was named 'Cover Up' and they had all kinds of interesting things for all kinds and types of lesser known phones. So, back past the nursing home and down the street to Cover Up. I walked in the door and a cheerful man asked if he could help. Out came the cell phone and the plastic cover now removed. He went to the wall behind the counter and, voila, success!! He had several generic brands of glass ones, no plastic. I asked him how much they were. He said, "$5 each." I said, "I will take two." He cleaned my phone screen and put mine on showing me just how to fix Claude's. I was one happy camper. I sent my hubby a text that I had a new glass screen protector for his phone. Yeah us!

We had some snow last night. Not much but just enough to make things nasty. I truly think sometimes a little snow is harder to deal with than a big snow. Claude left before me this morning. He called me to let me know that Hwy. 32 from our home to the Interstate was dicey. He also wanted to alert me that on I-75 between our exit and the next one where I usually get off to go the Church or the nursing home was a jack knifed tractor trailer that was really slowing traffic down. It was moving but slowly. I opted to stay put and just go visit Papa a bit later. Even when I left Hwy 32 was still dicey. The jack knifed tractor trailer was gone. In it's place was a car that spun off I-75 and was down in the median. They were trying to pull it out as I passed. Supposed to have another round of weather tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment