Saturday, March 24, 2018

Freaky Friday...

Got myself an appointment for a haircut Friday, March 9th. It was at 11am so that gave a few hours to get some things done prior to going. Claude was home. Fortunately...

It came time to go get my hair cut. Tyra does this for me. Her shop is Main Street Retreat and it is on Main Street in Sadieville. It only takes a couple of minutes to get there so I hadn't left a ton of time for this drive.

I went to the garage and pressed the button to open the car door. It came up about 2 feet and then stopped. I pressed the button again and the door went back down. I pressed the button again and this time the garage door only went up 1 foot. Goodness. I pressed the button and it came down. I pressed the button and it wouldn't come up at all. Now, what I to do. Fortunately...Claude was home.

I went and told him my dilemma. I knew he could open it manually. He fidgeted around with the button and checking out things. I had packages to mail before seeing Tyra so I had a few minutes. Eventually he got the door to open with the button and he looked at me and said, "You better get out while you can!" So I did.

While Claude was work trying to open the door, I popped Tyra a text and told her I was trapped in my house and the garage door would not open. She sent me back a text that she was laughing her head off at that. Then she assured me to come whenever I could get out and it would be okay. Bless her heart!

I was able to mail the packages as the post office is only two buildings down from Tyra's shop. Then I got a great hair cut. 

When I returned home, the garage door was down and I called Claude while parked in the driveway. He said he left the front door unlocked and for me to come in that way. Now, I caught 3 of my fingers in Papa's garage door in October while cleaning out his apartment. I have a healthy fear of that happening now as these fingers are just now almost through healing and it is March. So every time I saw Claude lift or close that door I would tense up not wanting his fingers to get caught. So I didn't even try to open that door without calling him first.

Claude tried some more to get it to work. I left to go to visit Papa. Claude popped me a text to call and see if I could find someone to work on the door for us. I had tried Lowe's 3 times before I left the house and they dropped the call each time. So, from the nursing home I was able to get Lowe's. They had someone they could recommend as they don't do that kind of work. I called the person they suggested who then suggested someone else they highly recommended. Okay. I spoke with a person there who said he would come out and work on it on Monday. He didn't need part numbers or anything. The company that made our garage door opener had gone out of business. He assured me he carried lots of things in his truck and probably had what he needed. From my description he felt it was the spring. 

Monday he came out and, as luck would have it, he didn't have the right pole to go on the opener. He would have to come back Tuesday. I thought I was free and that would work great. Claude had meetings in Frankfort and Louisville. There was one other thing on my calendar that started with a K and that is usually an acronym for something that begins with Kentucky and those are usually Claude's meetings. So we assured him I could be there Tuesday and he left. It wasn't until later I realized that K meeting I saw for the KMEA Competition and I promised Hayden I would go to that. Oh dear.

Claude opted to miss his meetings and be there for the garage door guy on Tuesday. He really wanted to be the one that handled it. And, he really wanted me to be there for Hayden. 

So I was off to Goshen, Kentucky leaving my home in the wee small hours of the morning in dense fog to see Hayden. Claude was there to go through things with the garage door opener guy. When I got home there was a new garage door opener which I couldn't open because I would need to program the new one in my car. One last time to enter the house through the front door.

While we are not really happy with the way he had to mount and wire the new opener, I am amazed at how well this one works. I can press the button in my car from two houses down the street from us and it will open the door. We are grateful to have the door work again. First world problems, I know, I know. But it is nice to have a garage. Never had one till we lived in Kentucky and we are extremely grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment