Monday, May 14, 2018

90 Years and Counting...

It finally happened. Ever since May 3, 2017 when Papa turned 89 he has anxiously waited to hit the hallmark age of 90. From the day after he turned 89 he would say, "You know in a few months I will be 90 years old!" At times I felt like the mothers of little babies who say, "My child is 4 months and 3 days old." 

Then the end of March, Papa took a nasty tumble and it knocked him down a peg or two. It was a couple of weeks before real progress was showing in his recovery and ability to move without calling out in pain or sitting up without holding on to his head so it didn't hurt as bad. It could have been the moment that caused his real quick decline. But the nursing home started physical therapy and they ordered more X-rays just to be sure his right arm wasn't broken. A week before his birthday I took him on a long car ride and he didn't wince with every slight bump of the car. I felt like we might be able to do something fun for his birthday. 

The Young Men and Young Women at Church wanted to have a birthday celebration. On Wednesday evening, May 2nd, they all trooped over to the nursing home about 7pm and provided him with birthday cake and singing. He really enjoyed this. I didn't get to be there as I teach Institute at that same time. But they gave me these wonderful pictures. 
One Papa's birthday I picked him up at the nursing home at 3pm to come to our home. I put in a DVD he made of old 8mm home movies taken when I was just a little girl. We journeyed back through these memories as Claude finished up dinner. 

Claude made meat loaf which was something Papa loved when we had his teeth and he would come out to eat at the house. It really doesn't matter because Papa has no teeth and we blend up all his meal in a blender and he drinks it when he visits. He loved the nice meat loaf, roll, mashed potatoes, and green bean milk shake though! Ugh!

I had sent a message to each of Papa's children and grandchildren reminding them of Papa's impending 90th birthday and giving them two weeks to send a card and/or pictures for him to open. He really needs nothing but these are things that he would enjoy that day and for many days to come. So, after dinner we paused and let Papa open his cards, letters and pictures. He loved it. These are a few pictures of him opening cards from my kids and grandmonsters. 
We then sat in the living room and watched a bit more of the DVD while we ate banana pudding which I prepared. This was my mother's recipe and I have the bowl she used to put it in which I also used. Didn't have to blend the banana pudding and Papa relished every bite. I would even take a second helping to him at the nursing home the next day. 

We had a few visitors come to say happy birthday to Papa. The Carter family from Frankfort came and brought him a gift card for Dairy Queen. These are always very welcome for our car rides. We will pause midway and take a break and get Papa a chocolate shake. Thanks Carter's for this thoughtful gift. Jenny and James Jenkins also popped in to say happy birthday. James is our Stake President for Church. Good people and they brought a lot of sunshine in with them.

By 6:30pm Papa was ready to go back to the nursing home and stretch out his back on his bed. He just wears out more quickly. As we drove back to the nursing home, we talked about his birthday. He was very happy with it and enjoyed all the attention. Claude even told me he thought I did the perfect birthday for Papa.

Thanks to family who sent greetings to him and friends from Church who made this birthday special. Now, I am off to Walmart to purchase a bulletin board. I want to see if I can get one or two hung in his room at the nursing home and then tack the pictures on them for him to enjoy all the time.

Papa did say he just might make it to 100 years old!! Heaven help me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment