Monday, May 14, 2018

Miscellaneous May Madness...

Time to make a tossed salad of little miscellaneous events from the first half of May 2018...

First, Claude read a magazine that had an article about Field of Dreams and tourists going to that ball park. After he read it, he just wrote in the sky part of the picture "I wanna go. C" and left it on my dresser. I picked it up and read the article. Later I told him I thought that would be a great trip. Then I said, "But I think we should take Jake (our son)." Then Claude said, "I was thinking the same thing." You see, as a little boy, Jake loved baseball. He would spend hours making an exact replica of a major league ball park out of boxes and card board and tape. He played imaginary games and kept detailed statistical records. His favorite team was the Atlanta Braves and Dale Murphy was his favorite player. We took him twice to see an Atlanta Braves game with Dale Murphy in it. Claude also took just Jake on a road trip to see the Baseball Hall of Fame. This is a memory Jake treasures to this day. So it is only logical that this kind of trip be made with Jake. I sent Jake a text with this picture and told him the conversation between his dad and me. He agrees he would love to make that trip with us. So into the bucket list it goes and we'll make that happen in our future.
Friday, May 4th, Claude and I went to the Louisville Temple. In the almost 14 years we have lived here I have only entered the front door. Never walked around to either side. I noted a young woman walking to one side of the Temple and asked Claude if we had to time do that. He agreed and we followed the young lady to the side of the temple. There was a little garden with a nice bench. It was so very peaceful and beautiful. The young lady agreed to take a picture of us. Love this picture with the Angel Moroni in the background. I posted it on Facebook. A friend from our Denver days commented: "Look at the angel in the sky!" If you look you can see where the cloud is parting and, sure enough, there is an angel pattern in the light. Amazing.
We watched the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, May 5th. Justice was the horse that won. It was a very, very, very muddy track. Such beauty though in those horses running full out to win. 

Our son went to New York City for his vacation May 7th through May 10th. I received a few notes from him and this great picture. On Monday the 7th he wrote that he had a falafel burger. He knows my love of a good falafel. Yum. On Tuesday the 8th he reported having a great piece of New York style pizza on a paper plate in 'cubby hole of a place' next to his hotel. His father and he discussed the importance of him consuming some pizza while in New York. Jake said that tiny cramped counter was just what he envisioned and it was great. Jake went to the Met, a museum to see Van Gogh's Starry Night, toured the NBC studios, saw the Intrepid and many other things. He called for Mother's Day and, honestly, I told him right off I just wanted to hear all about his trip to New York City. Just makes me happy when my kids see the wonders of the world in which we live.

Jake did post this picture on our family Facebook page. He said it was just appropriate. Why would a rabbit statue be appropriate. Years ago my parents were on a vacation out west with us girls. Driving through the desert they passed a huge field full of jack rabbits. As these kinds of things go, Papa started calling Mimi "Ma Wabbit" and Mimi started calling Papa "Da Wabbit". Pretty soon us girls were the "Little Wabbits". It stuck. All my life I have called us the Wabbits. My mother cross-stitched a wall hanging with "Wabbits" in carrots letters. My files for Papa on my laptop are under the heading Wabbit. Here Jake is paying homage to this interesting facet of our family history. Thanks Jake!
On Tuesday, May 8th, I had my teeth cleaned. Isn't that exciting? Then I went to the nursing home and scooped up Papa for a car ride. He was not in great shape and every little bump in the road caused him to moan a bit. We kept the ride short.

Wednesday, May 9th, my good hubby found another way to serve others. He had purchased a really large pork butt to smoke and the take to Kentucky League of Cities for a nice lunch. One of the guys he really wanted to have some of this meal was going to be out-of-town. It was decided to wait till June to prepare this meal. What to do with that huge piece of meat? Claude opted to go ahead a smoke it. He would make a meal for us and then a nice meal for the missionaries. These young men were so happy to get a smoked meat dinner with rolls and cole slaw and cookies for dessert. They were in heaven. Claude is just great at smoking food.

Thursday, May 10th, I drove my friend Velvett to her doctor's appointment in Frankfort. 

Friday, May 11th, I covered appointments I had in Georgetown and then visited Papa. Claude picked me up and we were off to LaGrange. Andie and Michael had tickets to see Sixteen Candles. We had Mini's duty. We picked up Bailey from Bear Care and got to the Marx home just as Hayden was getting home from school. Andie got home and we covered bases with her and Hayden packed his stuff for a Boy Scout camp out that evening. We left Andie to enjoy her evening with Michael and took the Mini's to Steve'Os for dinner. Then we found the Pewee Valley Fire Station and dropped Hayden off for his Scouting adventure. Bailey wanted ice cream and Dairy Queen was on the way home so that was an easy wish to fill. Then it was back to the Marx home. Bailey played with friends outside for a bit. Then she came in worn out. No problem getting her to bed either. Andie and Michael had a great evening out and came home to a quiet house and a daughter that would sleep in for them the next morning. Claude and I drove home and made it back to Sadieville about 1:30am. Whew!

Claude signed up for the Central KY AHA Heart Walk at Keeneland. He was up and out the door at 7:30am. I was not. I had lots to do and slept till 8am before getting up and at it. I did laundry and other really exciting chores. We are preparing for our big vacation and I needed to get some things off that list. But Claude posted these pictures of his walk at Keeneland. The start and finish line went through the gates used for the horse races at Keeneland. How cool is that? And, then there was Claude's fashion statement for the day...Bazinga socks with his shorts. Such a guy...such a guy!
I had a wedding reception to attend that evening. Claude was wanting to go to the ball park. So he headed to the Lexington Legends and I went to a wedding and reception at the Church for Fiona Terpening and Ryan Sayers. It was to start at 6:30pm. I was sure I could be done and home quickly to finish the laundry and get some other things done. Well...best laid plans, right? The wedding started at 7:25pm. At 8pm the wedding party was still not finished taking family pictures. The father did come out and I talked with him a bit before leaving to get home. I really didn't want to finish laundry on Mother's Day. Goodness. They were a very happy bride and groom though. Family came from England so they were all enjoying their time together. And, that is a good thing.

Sunday was Mother's Day. Not my favorite day of the year. I talked to Papa on Saturday and explained that the next day was Sunday, Mother's Day, the Primary children would sing at Church, Claude was to be one of the speakers, did he want to go? Yes, he really did. We walked to the nurses station as he went down to dinner before I left. I told the nurses he wanted to go and he needed to be ready by 8:30am. This is when he is usually having breakfast. One of the aides went to the kitchen to ask them to have his breakfast ready early. The nurses wrote down the need to have him ready by 8:30am. Fast forward to Sunday morning. Claude gets me to the nursing home. I go in and find Papa in bed and not dressed for Church. It is now 8:45 and there is not time to get him dressed. I assure him I will come back and visit with him after Sacrament Meeting. Then I go to the nurses station to get someone to unlock the door for me. The nurse looks at me and says, "Isn't your father going with you?" I tell her he is not dressed and there is now not time for him to get dressed. She tells me he walked passed the nurses station after breakfast and told them he was getting dressed for Church. So, between the nurses station and his room, which is only half-way down the hall, he forgot and put himself back to bed. Geez!! I assured the nurse it was okay. Papa refuses to let anyone help him get dressed so they left him to do what he told them he was going to do. I had clothes all together for him. But he just forgot. I assured the nurses he just can't remember anything for any length of time and it was okay. Bless their hearts. They try to work with him and respect what he wants. I did go and visit with Papa after Sacrament Meeting and he was happy and didn't remember he forgot to go with me or that it was Mother's Day. 

I went back to Church to pick up Claude and we drove through Panera and ordered salads to take home. That was what I wanted to do. Surprised Claude. He thought I would want to go inside and sit. But I really wanted to be home. We enjoyed our salads and Claude gave me an envelope he had colored with three coupons for filling three future wishes I might have. Very cute. Then we each ate a Hostess cupcake. Claude headed to take a nap. I tried to take a nap but, alas, that just doesn't work for me. So downstairs I went to get my Blogging caught up. That was what I wanted to do with my Mother's Day.

Jake called and we talked about his trip and all the fun things he did and all the humorous stuff that happened to him. 

I paused and went upstairs after Claude woke up. He made me a pina colada smoothie for a treat. Yum!! 

Later Hayden called and I talked to him, Bailey and Andie. 

It was a good day. 

That is all the miscellaneous stuff I want to share for the first half of May 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment