Sunday, October 21, 2018

More Bits and Pieces...

Let's go back to September 26th. I have requested a room for Papa at the nursing home where his bed could be by the window from the time I admitted him and each time I have had a meeting with staff. On Wednesday, September 26th, I received a phone call in the morning saying they had a room with a bed by the window and they could move Papa to it. I told them I would be in that afternoon. When I got to the nursing home, Papa was still in his bed in his original room. I asked him wasn't it great they finally found him a bed by a window. He then told me he told them he didn't want to move. Ugh!!! We discussed it a bit. Then Amy came down. She is the nurse that helped me when I had the mini-stroke at the nursing home. She suggested we show him the room and see if that helped him change his mind. We walked him down to his potential new room, discussed the merits of him being able to open the blinds as he wanted, the possibility of putting a bird feeder outside his window, etc., etc., etc. He was sure he didn't want to change rooms. Ugh!!! I told him that he was fine to stay where he was but I didn't want to hear any more complaining about that little space with no window where he currently lives. He will never had a window open to him as long as Matt's bed it by the window. That curtain will remain pulled between them and Papa will never be able to see out of a window. I ache about this but will let him make that final decision. A hard fought battle for him that he just doesn't want to do. And so, caring for Papa continues.

On to Wednesday, October 3rd. This day we had something happen that has never happened before. I received a 'Presidential Alert' on my cell phone. It was just a test of a new system to notify people should a national emergency happen. It will override anything that you have your cell phone set at to give you a warning message about whatever might be happening. There were people in a uproar about it. The way this world is going, I think it is a good idea. 

My Nissa sent me Molasses Crinkle cookies made by the Amish people near her in Michigan. To say I loved these cookies is an understatement. Nissa knew I was not doing well with getting my reaction to the meds under control. So she and Todd purchased me a package of these delicious treats and mailed them to me with a cute card. They arrived on a particularly difficult day and I was ever so grateful for their love and care all those miles away. A few days later on Monday, October 8th, I took two of these precious treats to Papa. He loved them. Wolfed them right down. I popped Nissa a text an told her how much he enjoyed them. Nothing like spreading the cookie happiness.

During General Conference this October, President Nelson, our Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, issued a challenge to the sisters during the Women's Session. He actually issued a couple of challenges. One was to take a 10 day fast from Facebook. I started that on Monday, October 8th. I didn't use Facebook or look at it for 11 days. I did not miss all the drama that is there. I did miss our family private Facebook page and the Church Facebook pages I follow. I also missed popping a Happy Birthday message to friends on Facebook. But I really didn't miss scrolling through the news feed. I had actually really decreased the amount of time I spend reading the news feed before I started the 10 day fast. But it was good do just not do Facebook for that time.

The other challenge I have taken is to read my Book of Mormon before the end of the year. I am doing well with this one and enjoying reading the Book of Mormon again. It is truly another witness to the truths in the Bible. I do love reading the Book of Mormon.

Sunday, October 14th Claude and I were out visiting for the Self-Reliance Initiative again. This time we visited Paris Ward. They were beginning a new class. It looks like it will be a great group of people. Then we visited the class that meets in the Georgetown Ward building. They are half way through their 12 weeks. They are also a great group that works very well together. It was fun to meet with these two groups and enjoy their eagerness to learn and make their lives better. Each group is studying Personal Finances.

On to Tuesday, October 16th. Katelyn sent me this cute picture of Raelyn in a Mulon Princess costume. This costume was Bailey's. She wore it on one of their Disney cruises for Princess night. She has outgrown it and wanted Raelyn to have it. We gave it to Katelyn and told her it was too big right now but Bailey really wanted Raelyn to enjoy it. I gave Katelyn Bailey's cell phone number so she could send this picture to her. I love that these little ones are 9 years different in age and live many miles apart, but they still have this sweet relationship. 
That same day I went to the nursing home to visit Papa. This time the parking lots were full. When that happens, I park in the parking lot of the little convenience store on the corner and walk through the bushes to the nursing home. This time I enjoyed the fact that fall is here and there were lots of red berries on whatever kind of bush this is. Love that pop of color we get when fall arrives. 
Thursday, October 18th, I finished another baby afghan. This one has been sent to a nephew and his wife who just had their 4th baby. Now, I must get more yarn and get another one made as babies seem to be popping up all over the place. This is another of my favorite patterns.
Saturday morning October 20th, Claude and I were at the Rosenwald School in Sadieville. There is a group of people that tour churches and historic buildings around the area. They put the Rosenwald school on their list to visit this time. There were about 29 of them and they arrived at 10:30am. Claude did a masterful job of telling them about Rosenwald Schools and their history and the particular history of our Rosenwald School. I shared two tender experiences we had with our school when Stephanie Deutsch and her hubby, who is Julius Rosenwald's great great grandson, came to visit. And I shared when the people from Nicodemus, Kansas came and did a reenactment of their ancestors leaving Sadieville to start a new life in Nicodemus, Kansas. One of the ladies that was there actually participated in the reenactment.  I am such a picture taker and as Claude and I stood in front of the school and the three buses were about to pull out I turned to Claude and said, "I can't believe I didn't think to take a picture of all of them in the school. I must be slipping. It was a very sweet experience. We gave them each a note card with a picture of something in Sadieville and a Christmas ornament to take with them. 

That evening as we were heading home from Bailey's cross country meet, I received an eMail  from Denise M. Heying. I do not know Denise. It turns out she visited Egypt and 1982. She had pictures she was still trying to label. She happened upon my Blog entries about our trip to Egypt. She was able to identify and label more of her pictures because of my Blog entry and labeling of the places we visited. She was just thanking me for putting that Blog out there. How nice is that? I often think I should quit this Blogging and just do this privately for myself instead of the public forum. Then I get a nice thank you from someone or a request to use a picture I have posted for something and it feels like it might just be worth it to keep Blogging. I also wonder if I would keep this journal of a Blog if I didn't do it in this forum. Thank you Denise for your very nice eMail. You made a bright spot in my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment