Thursday, December 20, 2018

The Best Christmas Music...

We have loved going to Hayden's Band concerts. This year we had the added bonus of Bailey starting band. There is a band for each grade at Oldham County Middle School. Hayden plays the Baritone in 8th Grade Band and Bailey is learning to play the Trumpet in 6th Grade Band. Thursday, December 13th, we found ourselves driving to LaGrange to listen to their Christmas concert. 

The 6th Grade band played first. This is Bailey getting ready for her first big band concert. She is right in the middle with a big grin and a maroon t-shirt.
Each band would play three numbers. It is always a marvel to see how these kids who just picked up their first musical instrument in September can play full pieces by the Christmas concert. They did an excellent job.

Andie was sitting with the 7th and 8th Grade bands while the 6th Grade performed. The shift was made and the 7th Grade moved to the chairs to perform and the 6th Grade moved to the back of the gym to watch.

Eventually the 8th Grade band moved into position to play and it was Hayden's turn to shine. Hayden in is the middle with a brown reindeer antler hat on his cute head.
Again, these kids were excellent. They are definitely ready for the High School Band. 

Here are the Mini's after the program was over. I marvel at the reindeer hats Andie made for them many years ago. I think Hayden may be getting the last wear out of his. I don't think his head can get much bigger and still fit in that hat.
Friday, I would drive to Frankfort to see Hayden and the 8th Grade Band play in the Rotunda of the Commonwealth of Kentucky Capitol. As I waited for the band to arrive, I too these pictures of the interior of the Capitol.
The Chorus sang first. They moved into the hallways and the band entered. Here are pictures of the band. Hayden is at the right base side of the statute playing the baritone.
Last year Mr. Wise let the kids roam the hallways a bit. This year they were right out the door and to the buses to return to school. I got this picture of Hayden with his baritone on the ground while he took a selfie of himself with the Capital behind. Clever young man!! 
This is such a neat experience for the kids. I love how they react when the sound just keeps on rolling around after they finish playing in that rotunda. I'm not sure where else they would have that experience as a band with the music they make.

I am enjoying Christmas music in my car again. I made a thumb drive with all our Christmas CD music we own. I carry it in my car and put it in to listen to during December. I so much enjoy everything on it from John Denver and the Muppets to the Irish Tenors to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to the Carpenters. There is acoustic music and Amy Grant and Vince Gill and Kenny G. So much variety and I set it to randomly go through all that wonderful music. If you see a wacky lady singing to the top of her lungs in a Midnight Amethyst Envision, just smile and know she is in her element and very happy.

Our son, Jake, posted a beautiful video of Amy Grant on our family Facebook page. She and her band performed three songs from her Christmas albums. It was delightful to hear these songs. While singing one, her voice broke a bit at the end. She had not sung it since her father died and it tugged at her heartstrings. While driving in my car after listening to the YouTube Jake posted, Amy Grant came on from my thumb drive singing Breath of Heaven. Oh how I love this piece of music. We have a Church video titled Luke 2 that depicts the story of Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem and finding no room for them. The music and the video time out perfectly. It really helps me think of what a journey Mary had in her life. Chosen vessel of the Lord. One of my favorite scriptures is "Mary kept these things and pondered them in her heart." Bet she did a lot of pondering in her life. 

Music is such and important part of Christmas. It brings joy and memories and touches our hearts in very tender places. Hope you all enjoy Music this Christmas time in all its forms and beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment