Saturday, May 18, 2019

A Walk in a Park-like Setting...

Let's take a pictorial journal of our morning. Claude has determined (and I concur) that we should do some of the 5K walks that pop up around our neck of the woods. He found one at RJ Corman, the railroad people. The walk was to support Chrysalis House. This is a rehab facility for women in Lexington. Good cause to support. We arrived at 8:45am and hurried from the parking area down to the registration area. As we walked we commented that this walk to registration should count in the 5K, It has to be at least a half mile. We also noted it had a nice downhill portion and we both noted we would have to hike back up that hill after the 5K.

Now, I took a picture as we left the starting gate of the walkers ahead of us. We were close to the back of the pack as we started and there was a nice picture of them as they took the turn and went to the left. Lots of green grass with tree lined streets on which we would walk. Somehow, that picture is not on my cell phone camera. 

We finally got to this sign. Claude obliged me by posing for this picture. It was not just Claude and me who felt that we had already walked 3 miles judging by the comments of our fellow walkers. It was good to see this marker and feel the progress.
The next two pictures were taken during the next mile of walking. When we finally reached the building in the first picture there were wonderful ladies there with cups of water. Yeah!! 
Every day is a good day when I find a turtle along the side of the road. I'm not sure this one wasn't laying eggs. It had churned up the ground with its back legs so...I'm thinking it was laying eggs.  
Finally we found Mile Marker #2. Claude is really getting into posing for the landmark signs. Feet were getting tired at this point but we knew we were making progress. 
Over another hill and we finally made it down the road to Mile Marker #3. Yippee!! Only a little more to go. We could see the end from here and the smoke where they were grilling hamburgers. Progress...and that felt great. We would press on. 
Along the route we kept seeing 25 mph signs. We joked about not breaking that speed limit. We were actually walking the roads on the RJ Corman campus so the signs would make sense for that. However, for walkers, not so much. I asked Claude to pose for this picture so it would show him making a strong finish. I assured him this would put him in my Blog. We would make a turn here and then just a bit to the finish line. How appropriate that the ambulance was parked there?!?! As Claude posed for this picture, they were all grins. Then they gave me a thumbs up as I made that turn. We did not break the 25 mph speed limit.  
And after a few more minutes, there was the finish line. And there is my Big Guy Clauda crossing the finish line. He had said between Mile Marker #2 and Mile Marker #3 that he just didn't want to finish with the ladies pushing babies in strollers. Look, not a stroller in sight. It took us about an hour to make that 3+ miles. We felt good about our time. We each took a bottle of water and found a fence in the shade to lean against to replenish fluids.
After a pause we headed to the car. Back up that hill we went and it was just as trying as we figured it would be when we walked down it to registration. We sat in the Jeep and drank our water. Claude turned on the A/C and we just rested a minute. 

We were going to Schlotzsky's for lunch. That was the plan. However, we were back in our car by 10:15am and we were not sure Schlotzky's would be open yet. Eventually Claude decided it was time to drive and we started back toward Lexington. As he drove I started to not feel well at all. By the time we were pulling into the parking lot at Schlotzsky's I told Claude I was not right. Right to the bathroom I went. Yep, it must have been the heat but I hurled my cookies and was not good at all. After I stumbled back to the dining room, I asked Claude to order us a drink and I found a table to sit at. I had a paper towel I wet down with cold water and kept wiping my face. Claude came back and the beverage tasted great but my stomach was still not right. I told Claude he should go ahead and have his sandwich. I sipped my beverage and then make one more trip to the bathroom before we headed home. At home I would go straight to bed. Two naps and three chapters more in my book and I was ready to sit up straight in the living room. Claude made us a nice dinner which I kept down just fine. So, I must be okay now. 

Well, it was a good walk, a fun walk and a nice time with my hubby. The rest this afternoon was good too. That middle part, not so much. But I am grateful for a good day and evening. Now, where was that flyer for the next walk?

No comments:

Post a Comment