Friday, May 13, 2022

My Foot, The Yard, Baseball and the House...

Wednesday, May 11th, was the day I was allowed to get my first shower since the removal of my ingrown toenail. Now, I soak the toe twice a day in Epsom salt, so the water is not the issue. Standing in a shower with the dirt and skin flowing off you body onto the nail is the issue. So, the dilemma, how to keep the foot dry. I went for a Ziploc back to cover my foot. Claude came up with this idea which is the one I used. My toe still got wet. And...I felt like a rubber duck in this yellow glove!! It was a valiant effort. After finishing my shower, I soaked the foot in Epsom salt. Hopefully that will clear all the madness of a shower from the toe. 
I visited Papa this day and came home despondent. Papa doesn't seem to know I am there most of the time. He can't hear me when I yell at him so he might hear me. He can't really see well to discern if I am a worker at the nursing home or family. He dozes off frequently. He is having a harder time eating the treats I bring him. So, when I come home, I am sometimes disheartened and need a pick-me-up. This day, I suggested to Claude that he take me to Lexington to get a summer wreath for my front door. The one I had previously in Sadieville, was used by the robins to make a nest for their babies and I had to throw it out. We went to Lexington. First stop, Chipotle's for dinner. Second stop, finding a gift card for the Marx anniversary. Third stop, Michaels. They had one wreath that took my breath away. All wreaths were 50% off. Yeah!! This is me trying to get a picture of the wreath on the door without my reflection in the door. I'm still in the picture!! Silly Moi!
We finished up our viewing of all the Psych episode this evening. 

Thursday, May 12th, Claude got an alert of his phone that the Florence Y'alls were having their season opener this evening. We opted to try and accomplish some things in our home and see if we were up to spending an evening at the ball game. 

We spent our morning going through the shed and compacting the store shelves as much as possible. Then we went to my sewing room and started bringing Jake's items back out to the shed. More to do in this area but Sandiland is now clear on the floor. I will keep some items of Jake's furniture stored in Sandiland for the time being.

We paused on the patio for a break. Then I went to visit Papa while Claude secured tickets to the Florence Y'alls game. 

It was a perfect weather night for this game. No humidity. The temperature was going down from 80 into the 70's. Food was good. Graeter's had their ice cream truck at the park. What more could a girl ask. Claude even got us a pretzel to share. Our team lost but that is not really why we go. We enjoy being out, the energy that is the ball park, the food, and just being together on a date. Yep. You still get to call it a date when you are in your 70's and have been married 52 years. 
I was amused at this video screen. It shows the player at bat with his statistics. However, with this being the first game, there were no statistics. Baseball is a very statistic oriented game. So, I found this amusing.
Claude took this great picture of the ball park. We were grateful to be behind that net on more than one occasion. 
Friday, May 13th, was to be the day the glass people came to replace the broken window. They weren't giving us a time so we set that alarm for 7:30am. Earlier than we usually move about in the house. I got ready and went to visit Papa while Claude waited for them to call him. We have an item from the Civil War that we wanted to donate to a Civil War museum in Bardstown, Kentucky. We hoped to take it there in the afternoon if the window were fixed in the morning. 

I got back home about 12:30. The window guys had not called or come yet. Claude went to work doing a few chores outside while I waited inside in case the window guys came to the door. Then I joined him so he could hang the hex sign on the shed wall. 
After that we sat on the patio to enjoy all the work that is coming to fruition in our back yard. We have three honey locust trees in the back yard. Each is laden with white blossoms. These are starting to fall from the trees. Our back yard looks at first like there are little white balls of hail all over it. When we sat on the patio, it felt like a little snow shower as the wind blows the blossoms off. Very cool. We just grinned and enjoyed it. This back yard promises to bring lots and lots of fun times.
In the late afternoon, the glass guy arrived to fixed the window. When he went to removed the broken top window, those little shards of glass fell to the ground. Bless his heart, he was trying so hard to get the window to lean against him so all the broken glass would fall inside between the panes. Alas, that was not to be. He vacuumed up with his shop vac. I went over it with the Swiffer mop after he left. Then I went out to the patio and there were five broken pieces of glass on the concrete under the window. Since I am a barefoot girl in the summer, I hope we got it all up off the ground. The other sad thing was the window he brought was not the right style. It was the right fit but the pieces that divide the window into panes was a different configuration than all the other windows. He put in the wrong design and ordered a correct one. So, in a couple of weeks we get to do this again! He is a nice fella though. 
Claude fixed us a nice Salisbury steak dinner to comfort us. Nothing quite like comfort food after a full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment