Sunday, May 7, 2023

Monday, May 1st thru Sunday, May 7th...

Monday, May 1st, was a relaxing day at home. I did the ironing, watched a show about Princess Diana (in her own words), and did a few finance things with Claude.

Tuesday, May 2nd, Claude went to see Dr. Wilson, our dermatologist. Claude had two spots he was concerned about. Dr. Wilson removed both of those and sent them to pathology. He also burned several other spots on Claude. This always happens. With Claude's fair skin, he is VERY prone to skin cancers. When Claude came home, he stopped by the Tropical Smoothie Cafe and got us each a nice smoothie. Yum!

I had all the presents ready for May and June birthdays. I got them wrapped and ready to go. Then I concentrated on a needlework project and finished it this day. 

Claude also had check registers to balance and we did that together. I will get this financial stuff clearly in my brain. 

Wednesday, May 3rd, our day revolved around medical things in Lexington. Then talking with each of our kids during the day and evening. We had another great lunch at Schlotzsky's. Then walked over to Carter's and found little white lacy socks to go with Kennedi's blessing dress. And, we stopped at The Party Store to get birthday wrapping paper.

Katelyn posted this precious picture of Emelia feeding Kennedi. Oh My Goodness!!
Thursday, May 4th, was "May The Fourth Be With You" day or Star Wars Day. This year we decided to embrace it fully. We started with donuts for breakfast. Then to Kroger to walk through looking for snack food we would enjoy. Then home and watched Star Wars Episodes 1-6. Yep. The six originals. It was a nice day. This is the reward of working hard for many years so you could take a day to enjoy Star Wars. Good Day.

Before we left to get our donuts, I walked around to the side of our home to check on the flower beds. The lilac bush is in full bloom and the fragrance is amazing. Claude loves lilac bushes. They had them at the ranch when he was a kid. He has loved them ever since. We planted them in the front flower bed in Sadieville. We were so happy to find a huge bush on the side of our home in Georgetown. This is one picture that I wish I could make 'scratch and sniff' like the books I bought my kids when they were little. 
Friday, May 5th, was the day I learned how to run our new lawnmower. Claude and I went out and he showed me how to insert the battery and set the lawnmower up. It is stored in the shed. Then how he gets it out of the shed and feels I would be best able to do that. Then we set up the handle and he showed me how to start it and set the sped and increase the ability of the wheels to move forward by themselves. I cut most of the back yard. Claude finished it so I could see how he handles the mower on the turns and tight places. We paused for a rehydrate rest. Then I cut the sides and front yard while Claude did the edging. Then Claude showed me how he gets the mower back in the shed and puts the battery on its charger in the garage. I sure ran out of steam but it shows I can mow the lawn if I take enough breaks. It was good to learn this. I will try again next week when it time to cut grass again. The more I do it, the better I will be and gauging how to increase or decrease power and the pattern for cutting that works best for me. I will also need to learn how to use the edger and the leaf blower. All in good time. All in good time.

When I was getting the shed open to put boxes away and get the patriotic house decorations out, I looked down the little hill at the flower bed by the gate in the back yard. It was prolific with clematis blooms. Oh are they beautiful. I called to Claude and he was amazed. 
When we took our breaks while working outside, we sat on our patio and enjoyed our lovely back yard. We have a little chipmunk that resides somewhere back there. It is a frenetic little creature. There was also a robin in the back yard. They were not happy sharing their turf with each other. It was cute watching them trying to protect their rights to the back yard. 

Claude suggested we go to Applebee's for dinner. It was a wonderful idea. We had a lovely meal together. We came home and watched some Scrubs episodes for the evening.

The best part was hearing Claude say at the end of the day, "I had such a good day!" 

Katelyn posted pictures of her little family at Raelyn's soccer game. It appears they are settling into life with four little ones just fine. In the first picture is Emelia, Kennedi and then Joel. Raelyn got to play goalie. I think she likes this spot on the field real well. 
Saturday, May 6th, we attended the funeral of a friend from church. Torren Colcord was a good man with a former wife and four living children. Torren was a free spirit. He served in the military. He was a first responder by profession after that. This led to his working tirelessly to unionize his career field for better wages and benefits. Torren loved serving others and would drop anything to come to someone's aid. At the end of his life, he hit a rough patch and battled his personal demons. During this time he and Kristi divorced. Torren was just beginning to come out of this personal hell he was living. On April 29th, he was driving his old pickup with his daughter's dog. He lived in their home out in the country. They aren't sure what happened but his truck went down an embankment behind his home. The truck rolled and hit a tree head on, on the driver's side. It is believed he struggled to free himself before he died. A neighbor found him in the morning. The dog was okay. Torren may have had a heart attack, they just haven't determined yet what the cause was.

This was the most interesting funeral I have ever attended. The talks were by a friend from his time in Kentucky and also another friend from his time living in California during the early portion of their marriage. Hilarious stories were told by each. His son's musical friends from school provided the special musical numbers. The first was a saxophone quartet playing "Polar Vortex: Snowfall". The second was "At a Dixieland Jazz Funeral". This was music that would be played in New Orleans as they walk the casket to the cemetery. It started with a mournful "Just a Closer Walk with Thee". Then broke into a rousing "When the Saints Go Marching In". The congregation stood and sang the chorus at one point during this number. Drums and instruments not usually heard in a LDS service, were all used. Everyone agreed it was music Torren would have loved more than a solemn hymn. Our stake president gave the final remarks with some stories of serving in church callings with Torren. It was the perfect funeral for Torren. I hope and pray it gives those four young people some closure and leaves them with good memories of their dad. 
This day was Kentucky Derby Day. Claude cooked us a pizza and we paused to watch the race at 6:57pm. Really didn't know much this time about the horses. The thing that bothered me was the number of horses that died prior to the race at Churchill Downs. There were seven. Three had injuries and had to be put down. It all seems very strange to have that many thoroughbred horses die before a given race day.  

Family pictures for this day: First, Drew holding Kennedi. Such a great daddy/daughter moment. Second, Nelson got a new haircut. He looks happy about it.
Sunday, May 7th, Claude was up for a 7am Zoom meeting for Stake Council. I tried to sleep a little longer than he did. We had a major downpour while in church for meetings. Lots of thunder and torrential rains. Got a flood alert on my phone. It was done when we finished and left church. Played the piano in Primary. Jenny threw a new song at me. It was fun to try and figure it out. Good exercise for my brain. 

We had Jimmy John's for lunch. Claude took a quick nap as he had a phone training session with a new member of his Communications Council at 2pm. I curled up in Sandiland and watch the Coronation of King Charles and the crowning of Camilla. I DVR'd them. I enjoy this kind of things. Not so much for Claude. Lots of pomp and circumstance. 

Claude had a Zoom training meeting for himself in the evening. I finished this week's Blog and then worked on my little to do list. A good day.

Katelyn posted an adorable series of pictures of Joel and Kennedi. He wanted to hold Kennedi. Kennedi started to cry. Joel called out for someone to get her milk. Then he proceeded to calm his baby sister down with the bottle. Be Still My Heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment