Sunday, May 21, 2023

Sunday, May 14th thru Sunday, May 21st...

Let's begin with a few Roper Family pictures from last week. First is Joel. Look at those hands on his hips. He is almost two years old. He is a solid little guy. Second is Kennedi having a moment with her mother, Katelyn. Third, we have Emelia learning to do puzzles. This is new for her. I am happy and I am a puzzle addict. She may have gotten a puzzle gene from me! Next, two pictures are of Drew with his girls, Emelia and Raelyn. The last three are when Raelyn had her first dance at school. She got to dress up and even wear a little make-up. Katelyn got her three oldest kids together (Emelia, Joel & Raelyn). Then Emelia and Raelyn with Katelyn. Joel was done with pictures at this point. Kennedi was asleep. Lastly, Raelyn and Emelia. Raelyn must have hit a grow taller spurt. Love this little family.
Sunday, May 14th, was Mother's Day. I just don't feel it on Mother's Day. So, this day, I signed up to pick up a lady for church who lives on the other side of Lexington. That way, mothers who do get Mother's Day could have a day not to worry about this. That was my good deed for the day. 

Church was nice. The talks were nice. The Primary kids sang and did a fantastic job. The song was titled "Mother, Do You Love Me". The verses were sung by Heidi Barney and her daughter, Laynie. Then the entire Primary came in on the chorus. I played the piano. Claude said Charlie Brimley kept them totally entertained on the choruses. He knew all the words and sang with all his little 4 year old heart! As we left the chapel, the ladies were all given a chocolate candy bar from My Old Kentucky Chocolates. Yum! The men have now decided that should be the treat for the men on Father's Day. 

After sacrament meeting, the priesthood took over all the women's classes so that all the ladies could meet for Relief Society. They had a strawberry shortcake bar and then we met in the Relief Society room for a devotional and discussion. I opted to not have the strawberry shortcake. This is not unusual for me. I have trouble with digesting food and often do not partake when in a setting like this. Also, my hubby promised me my favorite salad from Panera and I really didn't want to not totally enjoy that. The funniest part for me was when Lori Grieving, the counselor leading the devotional and discussion, started talking about her mom, Karen Parker, wearing clothes with embroidery and denim jumpers. Karen passed away several years ago. Lori came to realize she was becoming more like her mom. I simple leaned out (we were all sitting in a big circle) and said, "I know where you can buy those!" The other ladies had a good chuckle. There was only one other lady there older than me. It was a fun moment for everyone.

I returned home and Claude had the table set for us to enjoy our salads. Claude even purchased two big chocolate chip cookies for me. Jake called when we finished. We had a lovely conversation before he had to get to work. Claude took his nap. I went to Sandiland and spent that time puttering in there. In the evening, we watched movies I wanted to watch. Katelyn called. Then, Andie called and I talked with her for a bit.

It was good day for me. 

Monday, May 15th, Claude had a doctor's appointment in the morning with Dr. Lyon for his annual checkup. All went well. Dr. Lyon has been in communication with Dr. Slabaugh regarding Claude's surgery in June. Afterward, Claude went to the grocery store to pick up a few things.

I did things I wanted or needed to do. The laundry and ironing all were done. I cleaned out all of my dresser drawers. I'm feeling the need to go through and discard things I don't wear or need. I tend to wear things for 20+ years. I also tend to not want to through out things that have a thread of life in them. It felt good to get rid of some things and have my drawers not stuffed with things I'm just holding on to. There is plenty still there for any occasion. I tried to crochet a beautiful granny square I had a picture for. After 45 minutes and a very sore hand and it still not right, I determined that was a waste of my time. Tossed the partially made square and put my yarns away. Whew. I tend to be tenacious about these things and just not let go. It felt good to acknowledge that I really didn't need that pattern and let go of the idea. Just think, at 72 I can still learn better habits!!

In the afternoon, we left for LaGrange. This would be the Mini's final band concert for this school year. They would play the three numbers they played for the KMEA State Assessment the week before. In addition, they would play one more piece directed by their student teacher entitled Summer Dances. It was a great concert. Hayden's last one. He graduates in less than two weeks. Unreal!
After the concert, the Marx family gave us me a Mother's Day gift and Claude an early Father's Day gift. Hayden will attend DePaul University in Chicago this fall. We are now officially grandparents of a DePaul University student!! Way Cool!!
Tuesday, May 16th, was a rainy day. All day long. Not constant but for good periods of time. There was some thunder occasionally.

We started our day with voting in the Primary Election. We did this at the Library. Then off to Bojangles for our biscuit breakfast. 

We would each spend time in our respective laptop situations. I was able to clean out a few more files. This is a daunting task for me. Lots and lots of files. Every time I get a few of them cleaned out, it feels better.  

In the evening, Claude made sausage, corn and potato chowder. It was delicious on this rainy, cooler than normal day. 

Katelyn posted this picture for us. It seems Joel took her tomato. My friend, Laura, said, "A tater with a mater!" Now, look at that face and tell me if you could be upset about this situation. Noooo...
Wednesday, May 17th, I spent my morning cleaning all the bathrooms. One homemaking chore I have never learned to enjoy. I have a book titled "Simple Abundance" that I really love. Sarah, the author, tells us to look at these things as gifts we are giving to others love and to appreciate the ability to give. I have tried to do that. It has worked a time or two. But, mostly, I just don't enjoy this chore. It is always so nice when they are really clean and the throw rugs are clean. I'll keep trying to appreciate the chore. 

In the afternoon, Claude and I went to lunch at Sonic. This was a good decision. Then off to Lowe's to find some things we needed for our yard. I managed to kill four plants by putting them outside before Derby Day. That is the rule of thumb in Kentucky. We have had frost a time or two after Derby Day, but usually, this is a good rule to follow. I purchased four plants to replace these. Claude bought bricks. He had a need to put another flower bed under the window by the gate outside Sandiland. We picked out six of the 16-inch red bricks like we put over the French drains. Claude will make a surface for the water hose stand to sit on and a little drain that is beside it. Not sure what that drains. I must figure that one out. Then we purchased eight edging bricks to make the border of the flower bed from the fence to the red brick surface. Now, supplies in hand when we are ready to do these things.

I walked around to the side of our home and realized I almost missed my peonies blooming. I got two really good blooms this year. This is the second summer the plant has been at this home. These peonies came from Utah and it is a piece of Claude's family here with us.
Katelyn posted a picture of our great grandmonster, Raelyn, playing soccer. 
Thursday, May 18th, we started our day with breakfast on the sofa in the study. Then, it was out to the back yard to work there. Claude cut the grass while I planted the four plants I purchased. 

A Golden Pathos between the Adirondack chairs. 
Daisies for the two urns on the raised portion of the patio. A daisy has special meaning for me. I have always loved this flower. When I gave birth to our first child, Nissa, Claude went to the florist and purchased a white daisy in a bud vase for me. When I gave birth to Andie, our middle child, Claude took the same vase and purchased two white daisies for me. When I gave birth to Jake, Claude took the same bud vase and had two white daisies and one yellow daisy put in the bud vase for me. I always thought this was such a sweet, thoughtful thing for him to do. So, having yellow daisies on our patio will please me greatly.
Lastly, I planted Palace Purple Coral Bells to replace the Wandering Jude I had previously in this pot. I love this color with the pot as it sits on a milk can from Claude's family farm when he was a child. I painted the can and used these colors in the edging.
I also spent some time pulling grass out of our grass. We have decorative grasses planted on either side of our stepping stones up the hill. I noticed as spring came on, there were blades of grass unusually tall in this decorative grass. On closer inspection, I realized it was not the decorative grass but another grass growing in my decorative grass. Ugh!! The only thing to do is sit and go through the grass and find the base of each of these blades of unwanted grass and pull it out by the roots. I pulled out as much wild grass as I left of the decorative grass. Ugh!! Ugh!! Ugh!! Hopefully, if I keep this up, eventually the wild grass will not grow there. If I don't keep it up, the wild grass will take over the decorative grass. I wondered if this is how it is for mothers to pull head lice out of their kids heads. My kids never had head lice. But, I rather imagine it is the same principle. 

When finished with our yard work for this day, we cleaned up a bit and drove to the Red State BBQ Food Truck in Georgetown. We love eating at Red State BBQ's restaurant. How nice they have set up a food truck near us. We will definitely eat here again.
We did a quick grocery run. Then home for the evening. Time on our lap tops and then television.

Our little Kennedi was officially one month old on this day. A few more weeks and we'll get to snuggle with this little one.
Friday, May 19th, I would get my long-awaited haircut. Been about two months so it was time. I always love visiting with Jenna Thacker when I get my haircut. She is young and full of cheerful energy. I also feel about five pounds lighter afterward.

In the afternoon, our dear friends, the Carter family, joined us for lunch in the back yard. Claude fixed a big Caesar salad, a cucumber and tomato salad and grilled cheese sandwiches. We had Jessie over one day and Claude prepared grilled cheese for her lunch. She loved it. We thought we would try that again with Jessie coming over. Honestly, I could eat Claude's grilled cheese sandwiches every day and love it. It was a beautiful day to sit outside and visit around the table on the patio. Our little resident chipmunk came to visit. Grateful for this good family and the friendship we share with them. 

Before the Carter's came, I watched our resident chipmunk be still for a change. There is now a hole in our bed beside the steppingstones. The chipmunk was on the top of the flower bed next to that above this hole. I am sure the hole belongs to the chipmunk. I feel conflicted about covering the hole in case there are babies down there. But, I also do not want the backyard we have worked so hard on to become a city of chipmunks. Worry, worry! What to do? What do do? I shall be like Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind. "I can't think about that today. I shall think about that tomorrow!"
Katelyn posted pictures of Kennedi while we were enjoying our lunch. Fun to share them with the Carter's.
This night was the Oldham County High School Band Banquet. Claude and I did not attend this. Andie posted pictures on Google Photos and shared the album with us. That is where the picture came from.
Bailey is a sophomore this year. These pictures are her receiving an award. Also, her group in the band was extremely close. They gave Hanna Christensen a surprise t-shirt. Bailey presented it. The t-shirt says they are Bananas for Hanna. Hanna has a twin sister that plays euphonium with Jake named Emma. In the first group picture, Bailey is the last person on the left end of the front row. In the second group picture, Bailey is on the top row second from the right end. Bailey is in the center of each of the Bananas for Hanna t-shirt pictures. 
Hayden is a senior this year. The seniors were given special recognition for their achievements in their four years participating in the OCHS bands. The first picture is the seniors. Hayden is on the second row, second from the left end. They showed a video of each of the seniors recognizing times they excelled in the band program. The first video picture shows Hayden participated and received a Distinguished Ensemble award. The second video picture shows Hayden was in the Morehead University Honors Band. The next two group pictures are the seniors with caps off and then caps on. The seniors each game to the microphone and gave a spoonerism. Then they lined up on the gym wall and Mr. Centers, the band director, spoke to them. 
It was a nice evening to recognize the band students and thank faculty, parents and students for a great band year.

Saturday, May 20th, I woke up with a big case of the lazies. I could not and did not want to get out of my tracks. We had the late afternoon and evening filled with places to be. Fortunately, about noon, I got in gear a bit and worked on my laptop and purchased tickets to see an ABBA show at the Lexington Opera House in January. So, my day was not a total wash. I know when those times hit, they only last a while. One just endures and plows on through as best they can. 

We had stake conference leadership training from 4pm to 6pm in Lexington. This would be followed by the adult session of stake conference from 7pm to 9pm. That meant there was only an hour between. Claude came up with the best idea. He put two sodas and some ice packets in a little cooler. We drove first to Jimmy John's drive-thru and purchased our two sandwiches. We stowed those in the cooler. Between the meetings, we headed to the Jeep and had our dinner. Worked great. Such a good idea.

The leadership training was excellent. Elder Victor Patrick of the 70 was our visiting authority. He led the beginning discussion for the training. He spoke of the Doctrine of Christ which is Faith, Repentance, Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost and then Enduring to the end. The Enduring part is receiving the Melchizedek priesthood and the endowment in the temple followed by sealing. This is what we call following the covenant path. Then, he translated that to the quarterly report for our stake and where we could find the information on that report on the covenant path. We were then sent to different rooms, a room for each ward council, and we reviewed our ward to find members that we could help to their next step on the covenant path. After doing that we returned for the findings of our experiences in the ward councils and what we learned through doing all of this. It was a powerful way to help us learn to use the numbers on that quarterly report to serve the members of our individual wards as they draw closer to the Savior. Excellent.

My favorite quote of the training was "Often, revelation comes with asking the right question." Powerful!

Sunday, May 21st, was the general session of stake conference. Excellent talks with Elder Patrick giving the final talk. He spoke of the Atonement freely given and endured by our Savior, Jesus Christ. He spoke of the Savior living a perfect life. He reminded us the Atonement is done! The Savior did that for each of us to be resurrected and forgiven of sin. But it also allowed the Savior to feel all our hurt and struggle, addiction and pain, everything. He took that upon himself. Because of that we can apply the Atonement in our life in all these difficult situations and it can strengthen and heal us. This is Elder Patrick's quote from his talk that I loved, "The only reason we carry any sin around with us, is because we won't give it up." The ball is in our court. The Savior has completed the Atonement. We need to let it work in our lives. He will not take away our agency and force us to apply the Atonement. We must use our agency to let the Savior and he Atoning Sacrifice lift and heal us in whatever our trial is. He did not say these two phrases but they are two of my favorite when I think of all the Atonement can do for me in addition to being resurrected and forgiven of my sin when I repent. They are "tender mercies of the Lord" and "enabling power of the Atonement". 

I enjoy stake conference. I usually find at least one thing that really touches and uplifts me. I also get to say hi to friends we have made that live all over our part of Kentucky. A hug and a quick catch up on events is so enjoyable. 

It was a very good meeting. After, Claude and I went to Firehouse Subs for our lunch. Then to Krispy Kreme for our dessert. Claude took his nap. I played in Sandiland for the afternoon. In the evening, Claude had training and I crocheted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment