Monday, January 25, 2010

Cough...Try to Think...Cough...

Well, once again it has been a week since my last post. So...Let's catch up!!
Tuesday, Jan 19th I got my hair cut. Then I had the rest of the day in my home. This doesn't happen often and I truly appreciate it when I get a day to do things in my home.
Wednesday, Jan 20th I sang with Papa at the nursing home in the afternoon. Then had a presidency meeting with my counselors and secretary at 5pm. We haven't been together as a presidency for a bit and it is just a joy to meet with these 3 ladies and catch up. Grandkid pictures to share, stories of trips, concerns for friends, and we even managed to cover our agenda. These ladies are a treasure and huge blessing in my life.
Thursday, Jan 21st Claude and I headed to Chelsea, Michigan. Claude made Jake a table for Christmas and refinished a chair we bought near the beginning of our marriage to match the table. Jake got the table home after Christmas in his car but he couldn't fit the chair in there as well. We told him we would try and find a time in January to get the chair up to him. This was the time...so off we headed in my red chariot.
We had a stop at Cabelo's on the way up. They have great socks that Claude loves. Sometimes he also needs to replenish his spices and rub supply for the grilling season. Claude parked out front and he and I walked toward the front of this HUGE store. As we neared the entrance there were all these seats up on tall chairs. I'm observing this and commented to Claude, "I think they must be shooting something here for an advertizement or something like that. Look at all those chairs." My very amused husband looked at the tall chairs and then quietly explained, "Those are for deer stands." Okay, my son in a movie/theater guy and we're on our way to see him so I'm sure that is why the thought that that is an outdoor person's dream store and not a movie store never entered my mind. We both just laughed at the silliness of it all.
We managed to find socks on sale and men's slippers on sale. It was a good shopping trip.
Then we hurried on down the road and met Jacob at Mager. We put the chair and other items we brought for him into his car and then we all loaded in my car and headed to Ann Arbor for Joe's Crab Shack. We each ordered well and had wonderful dinners. Wish there was a Joe's Crab Shack closer but we are grateful we get to eat at one when we visit Jake.
Then we headed back to get Jake's car. He followed us to the hotel and we checked into our room for the next few days. Wednesday evening I made and brought with me the fake turtles for a snack while we visited. We had a nice visit until about midnight.
Friday, Jan 22nd Jake had to work. Claude and I slept in. Now Claude's plan was to have me rest and get over this ridiculous cough and cold I've had since right after Thanksgiving. I really felt like it was going away but, alas, that was not the case. So sleeping in was part of the plot to help me recuperate.
Jake had recommended Mike's Deli as a potential spot for lunch. We headed into downtown Chelsea and found Mike's Deli. It is a cute little cafe like building right off Main Street. We talked with the man at the cash register. They have a lot of sandwiches to choose from. Not as many as Roy's Place in Gaithersburg, Maryland but enough till you needed time to 'digest' the possibilities before making your selection. The nice man suggested we take a menu and sit at one of the tables to look it over. With a grin he assured us, if the table was close enough, we could just yell out the order to him and that would work just fine. We chose a nice table near the window along the front of the restaurant. I figured out what I wanted first and Claude was a little slower coming to his conclusion. He was just about to stand up to talk to the man when a huge group of customers came into the building. Claude was now at the back of a long line. We were in no hurry but could tell this was a great place to get lunch for those people in Chelsea. When Claude got to the counter the nice man apologized for Claude having to wait in the line.
The wait was not very long considering how many people there were and many were actually picking up bags of sandwiches for their offices. We did learn that they make a very BIG sandwich and we really could have each ordered 1/2 of a sandwich and a cup of soup and been just fine. The food was great.
I noticed as I entered the restaurant a sign for an ice cream that looked like Dippin' Dots. I LOVE Dippin' Dots ice cream. When my meal was finished I went to the freezer and picked the flavor I wanted. Then went to the counter (not much line now) to pay that nice man and get a spoon with which to eat my hoped for delicacy. When I showed him my intended purchase, he took my dollar and then said, "Just a minute, let me make this better for you." He then proceeded to squeeze and strike this container against the counter. He explained that sometimes when they sit it helps to eat them if you separate the bits before opening the container. I appreciated his thoughtfulness, took the spoon and my ice cream, and headed for the table. I explained to Claude about the squeezing and banging principle and did a little more myself for good measure. When I opened the container, I knew why the nice man was trying to help me. As he explained, they don't sell a lot of this during the winter (there was still snow on the ground). There was ice holding the middle portion of my dessert in one clump even with all the squeezing and whacking. Not to be detered from my quest to try this Dippin' Dots knock-off, I took my spoon and ate the loose part around the sides first. Then I tried to take the chunk in the middle and turn it over thinking the bottom of this chunk would be the next place to eat. Imagine my surprise and Claude surprise as I turned this over and found a tiny little plastic spoon frozen through the middle of my clump of ice cream dots. Such silliness. It was good nonetheless and I'm happy I tried it and didn't leave with a question mark in my mind about this ice cream.
Our next stop was the Chelsea Teddy Bear Factory. It seems we always hit this store every trip we make the Chelsea. Miss Bailey's Wah-Wah (a stuffed monkey) came from the Chelsea Teddy Bear Factory. Once it became a sure fact that Wah-Wah was her favored lovey, we purchased a 2nd Wah-Wah on another trip to Chelsea. Over Christmas while taking Bailey to the mall for pictures or to see Santa or something, Bailey was allowed to take Wah-Wah in with her. This is usually not allowed but to make the experience go well she was allowed this one time to take her precious Wah-Wah with her. You guessed it...she left it in the mall. Andie went back to find it and called repeatedly but it was never found. This leaves Miss Bailey with only one Wah-Wah and leaves Andie with a much more difficult time running it through the washer with no back-up. Jake tried in December to get Bailey another only to find they didn't have any in the store. In October when we were there during Claude's 60th birthday celebration, there was an entire shelf, front and back, FULL of Wah-Wah's. In December, not a one to be found. Jake was told they didn't carry them any more. Andie called and found that they didn't have them anymore. Michael and Andie checked eBay and found a possible one. So on this trip, Claude and I figured it wouldn't hurt for Grampa and Gramma to make another attempt at getting a back-up Wah-Wah for Miss Bailey. They had a rack full of stuffed animals made in the same style as Wah-Wah but not one Wah-Wah. I asked the girl at the counter. She thinks they will be making them again but she is sure they sold their entire stock to Barnes and Noble bookstores outside the state of Michigan. I did find a small Wah-Wah on the end of the counter. It has magnets in the hands and feet so you can place it on a metal surface. Claude and I determined to purchase one of those just in case it might be helpful. I called Andie and suggested she call her Barnes and Noble in Louisville and see if they were one of the fortunate stores to get the Wah-Wah supply. Being a grandparent takes dedication!!!
Then Claude and I headed back to our hotel. This time we stayed at the Comfort Inn in Chelsea. There are really only 2 hotel options there. We have always stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. We've had 3 family get togethers at the Holiday Inn Express. This time the Comfort Inn was about $10 per night less expensive and they also have a hot tub which the Holiday Inn Express does not have. When we arrived at the Comfort Inn the first night, Jake said, "Do you feel like you are being a traitor when you pass the Holiday Inn?" (or something close to that) We both had to admit we did feel a bit that way.
Our afternoon was spent in the hot tub and in lounge chairs reading books and magazine and resting. We headed back up to the room in time to get dressed before Jake came to join us for dinner. It was just a wonderful, restful afternoon.
Dinner was at the Las Fuentes Restaurant in Chelsea. Again, we all ordered well. Jake probably enjoyed his more because he only had soup for lunch. Claude and I ate those HUGE sandwiches and enjoyed our dinner but were starting from a more full place.
After dinner we headed into Ann Arbor to do a little shopping. Then Jake came back to the hotel with us for another evening of visiting. I love having my kids be adults. I loved having them be kids also but it is really a good thing to enjoy all the phases of our lives. Having your kids be like friends with you is just a wonderful place to be. Jake is just so well read and thoughtful about things that he is a joy to visit with.
During the night Friday I awoke feeling very bad. By the time morning came I was spinning in circles in my head even when laying down on the bed. We managed to get packed and ready for the drive home. Every time I tried to lay the car seat back or even just close my eyes to rest my head I could feel each turn of the car like it was amplified. Poor Claude was feeling frustrated that his plan to relax and get well was not working. But I truly appreciated the idea, effort and opportunity to visit with Jake.
Sunday I went to our meetings at Church to hear Claude speak. Then I headed to Lexington to a ward conference for our Pioneer Ward. I was going to visit mom that afternoon but I just was worn out. So I hurried home, got in sweats and snuggled into the love seat in our living room.
This morning I called my doctor as soon as his office opened. This sick stuff has been a part of my life since right after Thanksgiving. It was time for me to admit I needed to see the doctor. Dr. Culbertson got me right in. He determined I'm working with bronchitis. I'm now taking my antibiotics and a really tasty cough syrup. I haven't coughed for an hour now at least. So I'll spend today and tomorrow snuggled up at home resting and drinking my grape/cranberry juice and hoping that in a few days I'm really, really, really done with this junk!!

1 comment: