Monday, January 18, 2010

Life and Its Ups and Downs...

Went to Georgetown today to visit with Mom while Papa fed her lunch and then to practice singing with Papa for Wednesday's performance at the nursing home. I should preface this by saying that last week when Papa was feeding Mimi lunch he got the first two bites in just fine. On the third one she balked and then turned and tossed her cookies, hurled, etc. all over everything. The nurses came and took her for a shower to clear her up. Papa headed home for a shower to clean him up. Then he went back to the nursing home to check on Mimi. She was sleeping. She was not running a fever. They think she just got a stomach bug. She was really weak and very pale for several days. Saturday when I visited her she was very subdued. Today however she was grinning at us and would laugh along with Papa and I when we would talk and say something we found humorous. It was good to see her in better spirits and with some color in her cheeks. The new thing she was sporting was a wheel chair. She was not in one Saturday. But today she is in a wheelchair. Her only exercise has been to walk from her room to the multi-purpose room between meals. She sleeps a lot in her chair. It was interesting to see her stretched out in this wheel chair. This may be a permanent thing now. Every times she gets sick she drops down another step on that ladder of life. I noticed that my mom has long legs. We have wondered where our little Bailey gets such long legs. Maybe she gets them from Mimi. While at nursing home I learned that Ron died. He was the dietician/nutritionist for the nursing home and over all the food service stuff. They found him at a rest stop. I knew he had a bad heart and big time blood pressure issues but he looked very healthy all the time. It was a shock to learn he passed away. Saturday Claude and I went into Lexington after I sat with Mimi for a bit. He needed a new top coat to wear on Sunday's with his suit. He left his at the Church last year and we can't find it now. At least that is what we are thinking. When he went to use it the first time this year (a couple of Sunday's ago) we couldn't find it in the house anywhere. So we figure he left it at the Church last year and it went out with the lost and found to Goodwill. We went to Hamburg Pavillion, a shopping center area in Lexington. It was a zoo. So many people, so many cars, so much busyness. Claude took me to Montana Grill for a bison burger for lunch/dinner. We drove from there to Krispy Kreme for a treat. Then we went to Fayette Mall to find the Disney Store. Again, way too many people, way too much traffic and congestion on the roads. It only served to reaffirm why I only go down to shop during the week during the daytime. That my friends is one of the perks of retirement. This was the final day of a sale at Joseph Banks and we needed to get the coat on a really good sale. We were successful in that endeavor so the trip was worth the hassle. I left a spoon at my neighbors home after our Countryside Homemakers Club meeting on the 6th. She returned it to my mailbox with a Christmas ornament she made and instructions on how to make the ornaments. Now isn't that a truly thoughtful neighbor. Such is the wonderfulness of living in Eagle Bend. Great people on this block. Our home is that last on on this side of the street. While washing dishes I looked out the dining room window and noticed another neighbor walking her dogs. I went to my door as she came back down the hill and invited her in. She asked about her 2 little dogs. I assured her they were welcome as well. We gave the dogs a chew stick each and sat down for a nice chat. It was just wonderful to visit with her again. I don't do this very often. It is so easy to get caught up in just getting things done that I don't take time to just sit and visit unless I'm out visiting teaching. It was delightful to visit with my neighbor. Her hubby is very, very ill and she cares for him in their home. It is a 24/7 job and her walks are one of her few breaks. She is the neighbor who makes loaves of zucchini bread and quietly leaves them at your front door. It was uplifting to feel her strength and purpose for what she is doing. She is a great example for me. She keeps in touch with others who have moved from our little neighborhood. One time she even called on a holiday to tell me which day to set my garbage out since the holiday would change the schedule. She was calling all the neighbors to make sure they knew the change in the schedule. Sunday I visited with a dear little sister who is my mother's visiting teacher. I had not seen Anne is a while. She is an older lady and she is having really big problems with her blood pressure. Several times, as she explained her recent medical history to me, she would pause and say, "Pray for me." In the years I've known Anne, even with her broken hips and her open heart surgery, I don't remember her asking this question. This time, in earnest, she asked me several times. I know that means she is really concerned about her health at this point. I'll remember her in my prayers. As I reflect back on all these little moments in my week, I'm aware of the ups and downs of this life. I'm grateful for the bundle of burdens I have to help me grow and learn. I'm grateful they are no bigger than they are and that they are tailored to help me learn the things I need to learn in this life. I was reminded that I need to be really aware of things for life can be taken quickly. I hope I can always be aware of the joy that others bring to me, and of the needs of my family and friends and then be of help wherever I can. I like the saying that I read where someone thought they needed to "make it a good day". I hope I can learn from the things in my life and "make my life a good life". Not just hope it turns out to be a good life but actively "make my life a good life".

No comments:

Post a Comment