Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tender Moment...

Yesterday afternoon I was at the nursing home sitting by my mom watching Papa sing. I placed the lap blanket Katelyn made for her around Mimi's front and over her shoulders. She keeps her hands folded with the fingers interlocked most of the time. Her hands were shaking a little, more like from tremors than because of being cold. I put one arm around her shoulders and put my other hand over her folded hands. The tremors slowed and then stopped. Then she lifted her hands, with my hand on top, to her chin till she could feel my hand on her chin. Then she gently kissed my hand and turned her head a little sideways to rest it more on my hand. Then she kissed my hand a few more times. Children and parents, don't take for granted these little moments when they happen and you are aware of them. I'm confident Mimi knew that was my hand, somewhere in the fog, I just know she knew. I was blessed with another tender mercy. And a lesson to be aware while living life to recognize these moments with my kids and grandmonsters, my friends and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment