Monday, March 14, 2011

A Monday Miracle...

This afternoon my father called. The timing was right after he would have been to the nursing home to feed mom. His first words were, "I need to tell you what happened today." Antenna up!!! When you are caring for and about your parents, and one of them has Alzheimer's, these words are sometimes the preface to bad news.  But Papa's voice sounded happy and not concerned.

Then he shared his little story...

Papa got to the nursing home and went into the multi-purpose room where they feed the meals to the residents. He went up to Mimi and, as is his custom, gave her a big hug and looked into those brown eyes and said something like, "Hello baby, how are you?"

Papa then related that Mimi looked him straight in the eyes and said, as clear as a bell, "I love you!"
.
These are the tender mercies I want to remember when all of this is said and done with my mom. Those wonderful moments that melt your heart and give you strength to carry on and joy in the hours you have spent caring for her without those kinds of warm words.

I asked Papa if it didn't just melt his heart with joy. He said, "I almost cried in front of everybody."

Thank you Heavenly Father for giving him a moment of joy with his honey. It is a blessing we are very, very grateful for today and always.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the story. I miss Mimi and Papa so much. I really hope I get to see them again before either of them leaves.

    ReplyDelete