Friday, March 11, 2011

Observations...

I've experienced or learned a few things lately that I would like to include in my Blog. Here goes:

Observation #1   (Health):
I happened to catch Dr. Oz on TV the other morning. I usually don't turn on the TV in the daytime. However, this day I was working in my sewing room on a project and happened to have the TV on.

A portion of his program was a game about how guys do things and 'Should' you' or 'Shouldn't' you do things that way. There were two ladies as contestants. Dr. Oz would step up a scenerio acted out by two men. They each had a different way of handling the situation. The ladies had to quickly say which guys way they would do whatever the situation was presented. (Wow, could that have been phrased better or what? Your choice!!)

The scenerio that caught my attention had to do with making beds. Should you or should you NOT make your bed in the morning? I'll preface this by stating for years I've been an avid bed maker (for the most part). Claude has laughed when he got out of bed in the morning and came back to get in it and the bed was made. No kidding. So it is not any wonder this particular scenerio caught my attention. The answer:  You should NOT make your bed right away in the morning.

As you gasp for air, I'll give you Dr. Oz's reasoning. All of us perspire during the night under the covers. When we get up in the morning and make that bed right off, we are covering up what is essentially a wet bed in the bug world. Those little mites that reside in even the most fastidious beds LOVE that warm, damp environment and thrive like crazy in it. So, Dr. Oz says we should not make that bed right off in the morning but let those sheets have a bit of time to dry before making it.

Observation #2    (Service):
While attending Church in Muskegon, Michigan last month, I observed a most tender moment as the sacrament was passed.

A bit of background here for my non-member friends...Each Sunday in Sacrament Meeting, our worship service, the sacrament is blessed and passed by the Aaronic Priesthood holders. We use the emblems of bread and water which symbolically represent the Savior's body and blood. They are taken to remind us of the Savior's Atonement and help us renew and remember the covenants we made at baptism. The boys who pass the sacrament are deacons and are typically the 12-13 year old young men. The boys who bless the sacrament are priests and are typically 16-17 year old young men. 

In the Muskegon Ward is a young man who spends his life in a wheelchair. He appears to have no use of his hands, arms or legs. But he is old enough and worthy to pass the sacrament. I am assuming his father is the one who assisted him in performing this priesthood duty.

His father wheeled him to the sacrament table. They brought from behind the table a special handle and attached it to the front of his wheelchair. Then the father stood behind his son's wheelchair while the blessing was said on the bread. Usually after the prayer the deacons step toward the sacrament table and the priests hand the trays with the bread (water) on them to the deacon. The deacons then walk through the chapel in an orderly manner to pass those trays to each individual member to partake of the bread and then the water.

This young boy's father wheeled his son to the table, took the tray of bread (and in turn water) and hung the tray on the hook they attached to the wheelchair. Then he wheeled his son to the end of the first side row.  The member sitting on the end of that row takes the tray from the hook and partakes of the bread (water) and passes it down as they do on the other aisles.

This process was just tender and very moving. With the help of his father, this young man is able to perform his priesthood duties even though he is severely handicapped. It was a beautiful experience to watch and to have it centered on this sacred ordinance at Church was even more powerful. The sacrament is all about remember all the Savior went through for each of us, the ultimate form of service if you will. What a powerful example was shared by the father and son of living service that way the Savior intended we live lives of service to others.

Observation #3:
Well, when I first woke up this morning I thought of three things I wanted include in my Blog. Now I can only remember two of them. I've gone upstairs and done my dishes and finished soup for dinner tonight and still can't remember that third item. It will have be entered another time. I guess I could say the third observation is I'm getting older and need to do things as I think of them or they could be lost forever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment