Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Teaching...

It's official. I am the Institute teacher for the Lexington North Stake Institute class. I teach every Thursday evening from 7pm - 8:40pm. I was sustained in Church on Sunday. Last night the high councilor over Seminary and Institute came to our home and, while Claude was voice, set me apart for this new calling.

Now, if you are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, that first paragraph may be a bit of jibberish. Let me explain:
  • Each member of the Church is asked to serve in a calling in the Church. That calling can be anything from the president of an organization, to a teacher, to an activities director, to a Bishop and the list goes on.
  • Institute is a religion class for 18-30 year olds. This year we are studying the New Testament. I will be teaching, between now and the end of December, the four Gospels in sequential order. College credit is often given to those students who take the class.
  • When someone accepts a calling extended by the Bishop in a ward (congregation) or a member of the Stake Presidency (a stake is a group of congregations), that person's name and calling are given in Sacrament Meeting (worship service) and the membership is asked to sustain them. They are also given an opportunity to not sustain them. Sustaining simply means you agree to support them in their service during the time they hold that calling. My calling as Institute Teacher is a Stake Calling. I was asked to serve in that calling by Pres. Rex Holt, a counselor in the Stake Presidency.
  • Setting Apart is a special blessing given to someone after they are called and sustained. In my case, my hubby holds the priesthood and has the authority to give me that blessing (act as voice). Brad Manwaring, the high councilor over seminary and institute, came to our home so there would be two priesthood holders participating in this blessing. Claude's blessing was to give me the ability to teach as I prepare and listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. He also blessed me to be sensitive to the needs or these young people and listen and learn from them. He stated I would be able to prioritize my time and efforts to their best when preparing and teaching. It was a beautiful blessing and truly a help in my serving in this calling.
I was able to teach last Thursday as the substitute. It was delightful. I truly look forward to this opportunity to really studying deeply in the scriptures and to sharing my testimony of the things we are to learn with these young adults.

I did have an 'ah-ha' moment last week. When we have a new student, we are to get their name and birth date. With that information the secretary can enroll them in Institute. There was a new young woman there. I asked her name. Then I asked her birth date. The year for her birth was 1991. I swallowed hard. Then I looked up and said, "I'm suddenly feeling very old!!"  Then I explained that I am 62 years old. My children were born in 1971, 1973 and 1975. My oldest grandmonster was born in 1992. I could easily be some of these young peoples grandmother. I didn't feel that old when they arrived. But when I wrote 1991 on that piece of paper...boy did I feel it. We all got a chuckle out of it.

So I'm off on an adventure in the New Testament. This week we're covering the Mt. of Transfiguration and the beginning of the last week of the Savior's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment