Saturday, September 29, 2012

Let's Table It For Now...

Our Andie is hooked on Pinterest. There is truly lots of great stuff on Pinterest but I can't bring myself to get into it. I just have enough that takes my time without adding one more thing to review and add to or delete from. But there are good things to be had on this new digital phenomena.

One thing Andie found and was determined to do was a table for their patio made out of discarded pallets. For months now she has been methodically collecting these pallets from construction sites and others who didn't need them. She finally had enough for her table plus two wall shelf units she wanted to make.

Andie carefully went over all these plans with Claude three Friday's ago when we went to get a Mini-Marx fix. Then two weeks ago when we went to see the Mini's do their Bear Run, Claude took his saw and did some of the initial cutting on the pallets so Andie could begin her part. They determined yesterday, Friday, was a day they both could block out to work together on these projects.

Friday morning Claude and I got up and completed a few chores at home and then hit the road in time to stop at the drive-thru at McDonald's for our breakfast on the go. When we arrived at the Marx home the garage door was open and Andie was staining away. Claude unloaded the car. I was reading a book and headed inside to read and be away from pollen.

Now...something was going to happen this day that is totally out of the ordinary. Usually I am the tasky person (Andie's words) and Claude is looking for any bit of nap time he can find. This Friday we would do a complete role reversal. Claude and Andie would saw, sand and stain the entire day away. I, on the other hand, headed to their sofa in their family room, read a chapter in my book, laid my book and glasses down, pulled my sweat shirt over my feet and curled and up went to sleep. I had such a great rest. For the first time in a very long time I just let go of all the things I needed to do, quit making lists in my head and worrying about arranging priorites and just let myself sleep. It was the best treat I could have given myself in forever.

When I woke up a good time later, I pulled my book out and read until time to go to the bus stop to get my Mini's. This let Andie and Claude continue to work on their project. Those little ones ran off the bus and I got the best hugs. Love those running-jump-in-your-arms hugs. The Mini's and I kept ourselves busy and took occasional trips to the garage to check on the progress of father and daughter.

Here is the finished, well almost finished table. It is really two pallets with posts between to separate and support the two pallets and six casters on the bottom so it can roll around easily. They did scavenge slates from other pallets to fill in between slats so the top had more solid. Andie still needs to put a clear coat on that will protect it from the weather.
The wall shelves are cut and sanded. They need to be stained. Andie very cutely put some things sitting in the garage in them to get a feel for how they will work.
Bailey did enjoy playing in the garage and outside when it wasn't sprinkling.  I have yet to see a kid that, when given a tape measure, couldn't find a lot of uses for it. 
We ended our day with Andie and Michael using their Groupon for a quiet dinner just the two of them. We told Hayden and Bailey their Mom & Dad were on a date and they were going to go on a Pa and Ma date. We ate dinner at the Sonic picnic table. Then we had dessert at Dairy Queen.

After getting the kids home, Claude and I pointed the red Buick toward Sadieville and began the trip home. We did make one stop at the Waddy/Peytona exit for gas at $3.53 a gallon. It is $3.70 a gallon or better everywhere else right now. It was a good day and so much fun to watch Claude and Andie task together.

No comments:

Post a Comment