Friday, April 3, 2015

The Strength of a Child...

Wednesday, March 25th, our Hayden had an appointment for some medical tests.  He wasn’t allowed to eat from midnight until they finished with the tests.  When Andie explained to him about the process, he simply asked, “So, I won’t have to go to school, right?”  Andie answered yes.  Next question he asked was, “And, I can take my tablet?”  Andie answered yes.  In Hayden’s mind, that covered all his concerns.  Gotta love the logic of a child.

Andie and Hayden arrived a Kosair and she sent me this picture in a text.  He was ready for whatever they might need to do.
They got Hayden in and set up in his bed. The medical personnel came in to tell him what was happening and answer any of his questions.  He simply looked at them and said, “You don’t have to worry.  My endocrinologist already told me everything.”  They were quite amused at his vocabulary and his forthrightness.  Such a fun kid. 
They gave Hayden something to make him sleepy.  The tests were to track certain things that your body produces during your sleep time.  Andie sent this picture in a text of how Hayden reacted when the sleep medication kicked in.  He just feel into a deep sleep, remote in hand.
They watched and checked whatever they needed to as he slept.  When he woke up, they offered him some Sprite and crackers.  They wanted to be sure his stomach was okay with nothing to eat for so long and then having the meds on it.  Again, Hayden did something very Hayden. He asked, “Do you have Dr. Pepper?”  Andie couldn’t wait to text that one to me.  You see, Andie doesn’t allow the kids soda.  However, I love Dr. Pepper.  It is something the Mini’s know about me.  They like to feel the bubbles under their noses when I pour it over ice in my glass.  They have each had a sip but the bubbly action is something they aren’t and never have been used to in their mouths and on their tummies.  So it usually doesn’t taste good to them.  But, I have left my mark on my grandson.  He requested Dr. Pepper.  They chuckled and gave him Sprite.  He had some and some crackers.  Then he hurled.  This was my next picture from Andie.
Poor little guy.  He eventually rallied enough to be released.  They left and headed to LaGrange to get Bailey and then have an ice cream treat.  On the way Hayden asked Andie if they could stop at Barnes and Noble.  Really.  Andie said, “He can’t even walk a straight line, yet he wants to go to Barnes and Noble!”

The family had tickets to see “The Lion King” that night.  Hayden rallied even more and enjoyed his evening at the theater.  I just admire this young man for the resolute way he approached and went through this experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment