Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Then This Happened...

Today promised to be an average day.  

It started by getting to Georgetown in time to take Papa and Tiny to the veterinarian .  We are taking Papa on a little 3 day trip in May and will need to kennel Tiny.  While she had all her other shots in January, I did not have them give her the one she needs to stay in a kennel.  Now that the trip is planned, Tiny needed that shot.  She also need her nails clipped.  This vet's office knows Papa and Tiny and treat us with great care.  Tiny hates it but patiently endures whatever we have to put her through. We finished and took Tiny back to the apartment.

Then Papa and I went to Dr. Weckman's office.  Time for the next INR for Papa.  Someone pulled out right by the entrance just as we arrived so we got a primo parking spot.  I took that as a good omen.  Then this happened...  I checked us in while Papa found us a place to sit.  Then we waited.  You don't have an appointment for an INR.  It is a little prick of Papa's finger to draw a drop of blood to go on a test strip to check his blood density.  Only takes a second, the nurses do all the work, they only take the results back to Dr. Weckman so he can tell us what to do with the warfarin and when to have the next INR. 

We sat for a while and then one of the nurses came to the door and called "Lawrence".  I told Papa they were calling him.  He got up and we started toward the door only to find it was a lady named Lawrence and it was not quite Papa's turn.  Back to our seats.

One hour and ten minutes later we are still waiting patiently.  One of the nurses came for someone else and looked at me and said, "Did you check in?"  I assured her I did.  She said, "You might check again. I don't think they have you down."  

Over to the counter I go and ask if she has Papa on their list of people to see.  Nope.  She doesn't have him.  I'm thinking she got confused with the Lawrence lady and thought it was a duplicate or something. Who knows?  She put us in the queue and we were called back quickly.

The nurse that called us back told me she had been back there looking for things to fill her time between patients.  Oh my.  Well, we were kind and patient and let it just roll off of us.  

They took Papa's blood and it was 5.7.  Yike!!  It should be between 2 & 3.  The higher the number, the thinner his blood.  The highest it has been since I started recording it was 4 and that was a year ago.  I looked at Papa and said, "Don't you cut anything or fall and start to bleed internally or we are in big trouble."  

The nurse talked with Dr. Weckman.  He said to not take warfarin and return Friday for another INR.  We can do that. 

I turned to Papa after we got him in the car and said, "You have been such a good boy, I'm going to get you a chocolate shake."  He just laughed and we headed to McDonald's for the treat.  I sat and visited with Papa a bit after taking him home and changing his medicine boxes. But he was exhausted and wanted a nap.  I left him nestled in his chair.

I treated myself to lunch at Jimmy John's and plotted the remainder of my day. Claude left while I was doing all the above for a meeting tomorrow in Owensboro.  I had the rest of the day to myself.  Lunch was nice and then I was off to Sadieville. 

When I got home, I opened the garage door and pulled into the middle of garage.  No other car to share the space with tonight.  Then this happened...
As I turned off the car I looked up and notice the door from the garage into the kitchen. This is what I found.  Before my hubby left he made me a sign and put it on the door with duct tape.  He is one class act I tell you.  Such a fun treat and made my evening great!!

I changed my clothes to do some weeding.  I weeded the front yard and decided to stop.  So many things to do and I wanted to get something of each thing done.  Inside I changed the laundry and cleaned up a bit.  Then I put in one of the DVD's by Truman Madsen about the life of the Savior that I am trying to watch.  Each DVD is in two segments and each segment is 1 hour long. I was on the third DVD and the second segment of it.  I watched it and kept the laundry going.  Then I watched the evening news.  Next came a half hour on the treadmill.  Now I'm doing this blog entry and then going to finish my outline for my Institute lesson tomorrow.  

Yep, it was an ordinary kind of day in the journey that is Sandi's life.  But that sign on the door from my hubby is just a treasure I want to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment