Friday, June 5, 2015

And Now We Have...

Monday, May 18th, I received a text from Katelyn, our oldest grandmonster.  She wanted to know if Claude and I would both be home that day.  I popped her a text back and told her we would not both be home until about 6:30pm.  My curiosity was piqued.  I was sure there was news of some kind in that text.

I went about my morning which included a stop in Walmart to buy groceries.  I was looking at eggs mind you.  Eggs!!  My cell phone rang.  I quickly answered it and it was Katelyn.  My curiosity would now be satisfied.

Katelyn and her boy friend set up housekeeping last year.  We were not happy about this choice.  Wanted her to finish college and get married.  Then she could live with Drew.  She used her agency and chose otherwise.  

Well, it seems she did two pregnancy tests on her own over the weekend and went to a doctor that morning. The doctor confirmed she was pregnant and due in January.  Katelyn wanted to be sure Claude and I knew.  She was wanting me to jump up and down and scream.  Love this sweet grandmonster's heart.  She knows our moral code and it is not to have a baby in this order.  I assured her we loved her and we would love this baby, but we didn't like the order in which it was happening.  She understands this.  Mostly because she knows we do love her very much.

Then it hit me...Claude and I will be 'GREAT' grandparents when this happens.  Maybe it's because I felt it would come after a wedding.  But being a great grandparent suddenly seemed strange and amazing.  I would need time to wrap my head around that title.  

Katelyn and I talked a good while as I looked at those eggs!!  Geez!!  

I asked her what her favorite animal was.  She said a bear followed by tigers.  I told her I would look at a crochet pattern book I had and see if there was a bear or tiger afghan in it for her baby.  She was happy. 

Then I counseled her to call Claude quickly as he was in training all day and this would be his break time.  She might could tell him then.  She did that.

When I got home I found my crochet book and found a pattern for a bear afghan.  No tigers. After taking a picture of the picture in the pattern book, I sent it to Katelyn in a text.
She loved it. 

Then I told her we didn't have to stick with the color theme in the pattern book. We could make a white background and other colors for the dots.  She immediately popped me a text asking if the background could be green.  I assured her that was fine.  Then I asked if she mean lime (neon) green.  She sent back another text saying, "Yes. LOL."  Katelyn loves that green as much as I love purple.  Then she thought for a bit and asked if the bears could be white. I told her that would be great.  I asked if she trusted me to find three complimentary colors for the dots.  She said she did.

Saturday, May 30th, I was in Lexington and able to go to Hobby Lobby.  I found the yarn for the afghan and purchased it.  I took this picture of the colors in the store.
The afghan will have a green background with white bears. There will be orange, red and blue dots on a green background.  The bow ties on the bears will be out of the variegated red, blue and orange yarn.  Katelyn got the text of the colors and if very happy with them.  She pronounced them 'awesome'.

So, I've made 4 of the motifs so far with these soon-to-be great grandmother hands.  Isn't life grand??  

No comments:

Post a Comment