Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Sweet Memory...

June 9th, today, would have been my Mother's 86th birthday.  July 6th it will be three years since she passed away. Interesting phrase 'passed away'.  I don't publicly mourn over her passing as some do on Facebook. It is a fact that we all live and, when it is time for Heavenly Father to take us home, we graduate (as Uncle Bob said about Aunt Gloria) to the next phase of our existence.  I believe this.  I have great comfort in knowing this.  It gives me peace to my soul.  So, this Blog entry is not a time of mourning but a time of celebration over a good life lived well.

I've had three nice experiences leading up to Mom's birthday.  

First, last week, I awoke during the night and had the sweetest feeling.  I felt my mother near.  I did not see her in some kind of vision.  But I could clearly picture her in my mind's eye.  I made sure I was really awake and was sure that was the case.  I remember distinctly thinking, please let this feeling last a little longer.  It just felt so good to feel Mom's love so close again.  It did last for a couple of minutes and then it was gone.  I believe these are 'tender mercies' from our Heavenly Father.  I could definitely feel the goodness of being close to her and knowing of her love.  This is the second time that has happened at night to me.  I would love to have that happen for Papa.

Second was Monday afternoon at Dr. Weckman's office.  I took Papa in for his INR test.  After we finish, Papa goes and sits in the lobby to give his back a rest.  I stay and pay the co-pay before we leave.  The lady taking the payment kept looking at me.  She said, "You look so familiar to me.  I'm sure I know you from somewhere."  She didn't really look familiar to me.  I told her I lived in Sadieville and asked if there might be a connection there. No, that wasn't it.  I said, "Have you ever had dealings with Signature Health Care on Broadway?"  Her eyes lit up and she said, "I worked there before."  I told her my Mother lived there for 6 years before she passed.  She asked my Mother's name.  I told her it was Virginia Lawrence.  She knew immediately who I was and remembered my Mother in great detail.  She left working there before Mom's death.  She did not know Mom had died.  She kept saying, "I loved your mom.  She was the sweetest lady."  That is always and forever such a nice thing to hear.  Mom had Alzheimer's.  One would think that would not give one any personality.  In Mom's case, she still seemed to retain her 'Southern' as Andie always said.  She always looked at you with big brown eyes and had a smile. She stayed kind and gentle and lots of Alzheimer patients do not.  So, the staff loved her.  This nice lady remembered her and her sweet personality, even with Alzheimer's.  Such a nice moment.  

Today I picked up Papa and took him for a drive.  I've felt concerned the flowers on Mom's grave might have blown away.  It happens.  I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to her.  Papa didn't remember it was her birthday and was really happy for the reminding and the invite to get out for a drive.  We wound our way through the countryside so he could be out and enjoy this beautiful earth.  We finally found the cemetery and sat for a moment by Mom's grave.  The flowers were still in place and still a bright pink and yellow mix.  Papa was happy with the flowers.  It was good to be there with Papa and remember Mom.

So, I've had a nice Happy Birthday Mimi experience.  Happy 86th Birthday Mom.  Hope you feel my love for you.  Sure you are more aware than I can even realize.  Love Ya Bunches!!

No comments:

Post a Comment