Monday, June 1, 2015

'Special' Needs...

This weekend was Stake Conference for the Lexington North Stake.  A stake is made up of a group of congregations.  There are eight in the Lexington North Stake right now.  Stake Conference is held twice a year.  This particular one we had a visiting 'general authority'.  This is a leader in the Church.  His name is W. Craig Zwick.

Saturday evening at 7pm a meeting is held for the adults 18 years of age and older.  Just before that meeting, we received a Facebook message stating Elder L. Tom Perry (one of the Twelve Apostles) passed away.  He had thyroid cancer and passed very quickly.  Elder Perry spoke in our last General Conference of the Church held over Easter weekend.  This conference is held in Salt Lake City but broadcast all over the world via satellite.  Elder Perry looked very healthy and spoke with enthusiasm. So his passing so quickly after was a bit of a shock.  He was 92 years old and well loved.

It turn out Elder Perry and Elder Zwick were very good friends.  Elder Perry was called several years ago to serve as the Area Authority over Europe and Elder Zwick was called as his counselor.  Elder Zwick had very tender feelings as the meeting began about his friend, Elder Perry.  We were blessed to here him tell of personal experiences about Elder Perry.

One of these had to do with Elder Zwick's son.  I remember hearing Elder Perry tells us this story in one of his talks a while back.  Elder Perry always spoke in General Conference, as do all the Twelve Apostles.  He told the story of the tie he was wearing.  He stated he had a friend named Scott who always brought him a new tie before each General Conference. Scott and Elder Perry are both tall men so Scott would bring an extra long tie.  That was the tie Elder Perry would then wear during General Conference.  As Elder Zwick talked to us, he also shared this story.  It turns out Elder Zwick has a 40+ year old 'Special Needs' son.  His name is Scott.  He loves Elder Perry.  Scott is the Scott in Elder Perry's story that gives him a new tie to wear at each General Conference.  Elder Zwick said that Scott is a big fella with a good heart.  He can't read or write, but he does remember things. Change is not his friend. 

Saturday night Elder Zwick called his wife and son, Scott, and had their family prayer via telephone. Scott asked his father, Elder Zwick, if Elder Perry was in a better place.  Elder Zwick told him that was right, he was in a much better place.  Scott was okay then.  

I felt tears well up in my eyes as Elder Zwick shared that tender moment.  I haven't typed it nearly as movingly as Elder Zwick told it. But it touched my heart nonetheless in a most profound way.  

My thought at that moment was about that term 'special needs'.  Suddenly it seemed like the best phrase in the entire world to describe Scott.  I felt how 'special' Scott was.  His heart is right with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  He cares in a most profound and simple way and he has found ways to show he cares.  I felt very good about that word 'special' as a description for this marvelous man.  

My good friend, Laura, will read this. I hope she won't mind me sharing this next feeling.  I thought of her daughter Jessie.  She is also 'special'.  I just love her to pieces.  A hug from Jessie can just put life right in perspective for me.  Her joy about life is contagious.  Jessie has given me so much and to me she is 'special'.  I have told her she is like my little sister.  And I mean that.

Now, that word 'needs' I believe applies to me.  I'm the one that 'needs'.  I 'need' these 'special' people to help me understand life and appreciate it.  I 'need' to have a lot more of their caring for others.  I 'need' to have a lot more of their joy in this journey,  It is really me who is the one in 'need'.  

I am grateful for all those that are a part of my life or cross it in some positive way that are 'special' and help me in my 'need' for balance and understanding.  Such a valuable lesson to learn.  Happy I made it to stake conference so I could get this nugget of wisdom into my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment