Thursday, November 17, 2016

Hayden's Birthday Observed...

Sometimes we fail at being grandparents. We try very, very hard to get it right but, every now and then, things just don't go as you planned. Hayden turned 12 this year and we just blew it! 

I requested ideas for him for a present for his birthday and for Christmas. He went through his hopes and dreams and sent me links to Amazon for items he wanted. I made a grid with all this information. Then, I sent it to Andie to be sure I didn't duplicate their plans or other grandparents plans. Andie said she would get back with me after talking with Michael to cover all bases. I asked three times and never got a report back. In the meantime, my poor hubby had a relapse of his cold. As luck would have it I was getting a bit of his cold by Saturday. Sunday was Hayden's birthday. Claude and I both stayed home from Church to try and get some rest and heal. In addition my sister was coming to visit with Papa and was arriving Sunday evening. With all that, we just completely forgot to even call Hayden on his birthday. Such rotten grandparents. Goodness. I remembered Monday morning and sent Claude a text from Papa's. Junie had taken Papa out for a long drive and, while he was gone, I took the opportunity to empty out a cabinet in his apartment he never opens. While doing that it hit me. Couldn't believe it. 

Monday afternoon we called our young man. I was home by then and Claude was also at the house. When Hayden answered his cell phone we both sang Happy Birthday to him. He was happy. There was lots of noise in the background. Turns out he was on the school bus headed for home. I said to him we just forgot to call on his birthday. I said, "Isn't that awful?" Hayden's matter of fact reply was, "Yes, yes it is." He wasn't upset. Just matter of fact. This is why Andie calls him Captain Literal and is one of the places where his autism manifests. Love our young man and his frankness. He also knew we were coming on Thursday for a Veteran's Celebration at his school and we would bring his birthday presents at that time. He was happy we would both be there on Thursday more than he was frustrated at our forgetfulness.

The major portion of our day would be the Veteran's Celebration. After it was completed we went to the Marx home to rest and then back to the school to picked Hayden at 3:40 and then on to pick up Bailey at her school. She stayed for Volleyball Club after school.

When we got to the house, Hayden had a YouTube video clip he wanted us to see. Bailey wanted to see it also. Hayden set it up to stream from his cell phone to the television. What a world these kids live in today. This is Bailey and one of their cats watching the video. They love these cats and the cats love them. Nice to see kids enjoying their pets.
Hayden's birthday present from his parents was a VR. It makes a 3D image out of anything you watch in it. Hayden set me up and I sat on the love seat and learned how to use this new device for me. Claude had already used one at a meeting he attended. Hayden managed to take my cell phone and get a video clip and some pictures of me using this gadget. I was grateful Andie warned me to be seated when I used this toy. Hayden was having so much fun taking pictures of my experience with my camera that he took a selfie of us. 
Then we used my cell phone and made a video for Raelyn. She has just learned to grin and wave 'Hi'. We couldn't do a video phone call because the kids were in school while Katelyn and Raelyn were home and we were home when Katelyn was at work. So the next best thing was make a video of all of us waving hi and eMail it to Katelyn to show to Raelyn later. The Mini's really enjoyed doing this. They just love having a cousin that is a baby. Claude was also in the video but the picture just shows me, Hayden and Bailey.
Andie got home from work and we opened presents. Hayden opened his Girl Scout Cookies first. They always know that first gift is the Girl Scout Cookies. We also got him a book he wanted and it turns out Bailey also got him that book. Geez!! Then he opened the big Lego kit. 
Hayden chose Red Robin as the place for us to have a Birthday Observed Dinner. We were off in two cars because Claude and I would leave to return home after dinner. The kids ate well but after eating Hayden did not feel so great. He had a pain in his stomach and he felt it was from eating too fast. He really was looking a little green around the gills. He and I went outside to get him some fresh air. It had turned cool. I was shivering. So Hayden watched my purse and sat on the bench while I went to the car and got my jacket and Claude's jacket. When I returned we both put on the jackets and snuggled on the bench in front of Red Robin. Nice time for us to chat and catch up. 

Claude and I said good-bye and had great hugs. Then we were off to Sadieville and Andie and the Mini's were off to the grocery store before heading home. I reached in my craft bag for my Kindle and realized I didn't have my charging cable that charges really quickly. Claude found another road and we headed back to Andie's. Sure enough it was still in the wall. Now we were headed to Sadieville for real. 

It was a good Birthday Observed. Hayden was happy and that is what matters the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment