Thursday, November 21, 2019

An Update About My Teeff...

Had an appointment on Tuesday with Dr. King who is working at repairing my gum in preparation for the implants. The beginning of August I fell and had to have three of my front teeth extracted. The gum was shattered so bone grafting was inserted in the sockets after the teeth were pulled and we have been waiting and watching to see when Dr. King might begin the implant part of this process. They took x-rays of the gums and can see by the granular-like look in the x-ray that the gum in healing quite nicely. I was told to come back the end of January and we should be ready to being the implant process. I again made sure they knew I would be happy to wait longer if needed to begin that part of the process. I really don't want this to fail. If it were a back tooth and out of sight, failure might be an option. But this is three front teeth and failure is not an option.  

Dr. King gave me the dollar amount for the final bill. This number was given to Claude and me before the teeth were extracted but it has been months. So seeing that bill again for about $4,000 and knowing I have already given them over $2,000 made me swallow hard. Then it was suggested that I speak with Dr. Hollen, our regular dentist, about her cost as she will made the crowns that go on top of the implants. UGH!!! 

As good fortune would have it, my appointment at 9am with Dr. King was followed by a 9:40am appointment for my semi-annual cleaning with Dr. Hollen. I joked with Dr. King that this should be a shorter appointment as I had three less teeth to clean right now. He appreciates the fact I have a sense of humor about all this process. 

Dr. Hollen's office charged me first for the cleaning and x-rays they had to do. That was $260. Then they showed me the cost of three crowns to make the implant bridge for the front of my mouth. That bill will be $5,000+. I swallowed hard and said, "Okay!" Goodness. We have no dental insurance. This will be all out-of-pocket. It really left me numb for a bit. 

As I got ready to leave Dr. Hollen's office, look who I found looking at me from the room across the hall. So cute.
I left the cleaning and went to Bojangles to get me a biscuit for breakfast. I had not eaten since I had dental appointments to go to. I got my soda and biscuit and found a parking spot to munch and think. My first thought was, "It is a good thing we sold the empty lot!" Then I was just thankful we would be able to do this. It is a blessing to be in a position financially to take care of this need in this way. If all goes well, you will not be able to tell I had any work done on the front of my mouth. It will look like it has always been there. I find myself again thanking my Heavenly Father for helping Claude and I prepare for retirement in a fiscally responsible way...so far. We have been able to help our little family some as well as care for our own needs. And now, to care for this crisis in my mouth. I am grateful, so very, very, grateful.

Now, a bit of humor. Claude and I have taken to saying, "Curb!" whenever we come to a curb or step so that neither of us fall. I said that to Claude and he still almost tripped the other day when we were at Buffalo Trace restocking our root beer supply for the holidays. Yike! I appreciate that we have found a humorous way to help us be careful in our walking. It does give us a chuckle each time but I truly appreciate that warning from my hubby.

My mouth will get fixed. We will swallow hard to cover the cost. We are grateful for this additional blessing of being about to cover this expense and good doctors to care for me. And that is the 'teeff' update.

Epilogue:
It never fails that you get some cute news to lift you when you have tough news. Katelyn messaged these pictures of her girls after my dental visits. Katelyn commented about these pictures with this, "Rae is saying a prayer. Asking Heavenly Father to let her see you and to listen to I am a Child of God. Emelia is being sneaky and trying to get the stuff on the desk."
I responded with this picture for Raelyn asking Katelyn to see what she thought of my new purple coat. Raelyn and I both love purple very much.
Katelyn showed the picture to Raelyn and responded, "She said she loves your purple coat!" I love the digital age when we can share so quickly. I also love that Raelyn knows to pray for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment