Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Tidbits...

So we experienced changing the clocks because of Daylight Savings Time...again, on Sunday, November 3rd in the wee small hours of the morning. Ugh!! I had this picture pop up on my Facebook Newsfeed. I took it several years ago on the night Daylight Savings Time changed. A friend from our Maryland days, Kim Smith, posted this Time Change Song. The verses are for which ever time change we are experiencing. I thought it was cute and wanted to save it. Claude and I have changed all the clocks in the house and our cars. I still haven't changed the time on my two watches. Let's see how long it takes before I notice they are an hour off!
Monday I experienced a wake-up moment. During the weekend my car put a warning on the display that told me to change the oil in my car soon as it was down to 8%. I have never had that happen. I had checked it a little over a week ago and thought I had some time to wait before changing the oil. Guess the trip to Michigan used up those miles. I called Monday morning and asked when I could get in for an oil change. The young man asked how quickly I needed to get it done. I assured him as soon as possible and why. He said I could come in that afternoon. At 3:30pm I was at Frank Shoop's dealership to get my oil changed. Something was different. Kim was not at her desk and it was clean like she hadn't been there all day. We have lived in Sadieville for 15 years. That entire time we have used Frank Shoop for all our oil change and service needs for our cars. In February 2017 we each purchased a new car from Frank Shoop. During all that time, Kim has always been at work. I asked the young man checking me in if Kim had a day off. He assured me she was in the back working on paperwork. Then he shared the devastating news that Frank sold the dealership to Dan Cummins and Kim had been offered a position at Dan Cummins in Paris, Kentucky. Kim had turned this down and would no longer be working at Frank Shoop...soon to be Dan Cummins. Well that just takes the cake. I was blown away. 

I went to the lounge to wait for my car to be serviced. I positioned myself so that I could see Kim if she walked past me. I full well intended to find her and at least say good-bye before I left that day. I crocheted a blanket for her baby when she was born. Kim knows and cared for Papa when he was driving. When we went to Japan with Frank Shoop, I assured him he needed to give Kim a raise as she was definitely worth her weight in gold. Frank agreed to how important she was to his business. So I was looking to say good-bye to this person I consider a friend. 

Sure enough, she walked by and as soon as she finished talking to the person she was working with, I called for her. We talked. She had tears in her eyes. We hugged. I will sorely miss this sweet Lady. 

As I drove home my heart ached for her. Several of the employees who have been with Frank for 20+ years will no longer be employed there. I don't know what the new owners will be like. I hope they are as thoughtful and kind as the dealership has been under Frank Shoop. If they are not, I will need to have words with them. I will give them all my respect to be sure we start off on a good footing. But it threw me for a huge loop when this part of our Kentucky life was tossed around like this. 

Tuesday was Election Day. Claude and I went to the polls here in Sadieville at City Hall together to cast our ballots. Then we went to breakfast at Hardee's. It made for a nice morning. I watched the results a bit in the evening. All of the state offices were won by the Republican candidates for which I voted. Our governor, Matt Bevin, appears to have lost by a relatively small margin. The percentage for him and Andy Beshear was each 49%. However, Andy Beshear had about 5,000 more votes that Matt Bevin. Personally, I don't care for either of them to be governor. As far as I have heard today, Bevin is wanting them to check on the vote numbers to be sure they are accurate. Beshear gave an acceptance speech last night. Bevin gave a speech saying it wasn't over until they were sure all was accurate. Oh My!! My complaint with Bevin is that he is a smaller version of Donald Trump. There is not a great filter in what comes out of his mouth. His loss in this election will be of his own making. There are so many times he could have accomplished more with helping people to understand things had he been a bit more tactful in his approach instead of the 'my way or the highway' approach. Rudeness is just not necessary. At all!! But I feel strongly about the importance of voting for everyone, not matter their political leanings.
I was also able to take Papa out for a car ride on Tuesday. He was so very happy to be out and about. We had a good drive and then got him a little root beer and sat in my car while he played his game on my old Kindle. Good afternoon with Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment