Monday, April 26, 2010

Amazing Grace - The History

Today I checked some eMails I received this weekend that I had not had time to view. You know, the forwards, some that take a long time to listen to and you just need a bit of time to sit. Sometimes we just delete them saying we don't have time for that.

This was sent to me be a friend from our Maryland days, Joyce Mills. Joyce loves music and knows I love music. She sent me this link to a YouTube video that runs about 9 minutes. It is tremendously moving. It is a black man with one of those wonderfully booming voices. I love to hear a song sung this way.

He tells the history of the Negro Spirituals and how their music was written. Then he tells the story of an American Spiritual that we all know and have enjoyed listening to versions of called "Amazing Grace".

I hope Jake particularly will listen to this. I'm sure he could sing this song just as movingly.

I've put it at the end of my posts. Just scroll down to the bottom of all the writing I do and you'll find the YouTube clip, click and play. It will be a treat you will be happy you gave yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment