Thursday, April 29, 2010

I'm A Happy Chick Maiden...

This morning I had a visit to make and wanted to get my post office stuff done on the way to my friends home. I had to write a couple letters to mail. Now I'm learning to use my new computer and every now and then I notice a feature I haven't clicked on. There are sooooooo many and sooooooo little time!! 

The feature I noticed this morning was called 'sticky notes'. Oh my did that look tempting. I clicked on the sticky note on my program list. Onto my screen popped the cutest little yellow square just like a postette. I typed one of my 'to do' list items right on that note. I was thrilled to say the least.

This little note had only two command features on it. One is an X in the upper right corner to delete the note you created. The other is a + in the upper left corner to add another 'sticky note' to your computer screen. I was in HEAVEN!!!

I quickly transferred all my 'to do' list to 'sticky notes'. I made a note for letter & notes I need to write, a note for Relief Society things I need to do, a note for things I'm working on for Papa, a note to remind me to things to do for Katelyn's Graduation Open House. Then I tossed my 'to do' list away.

Next I learned that when I create a 'sticky note' my computer puts an icon on my start bar thing across the bottom of my monitor. If I click on that 'sticky note' icon, the computer hides all the 'sticky notes'. If I click it again, it places them on top of whatever I'm working on.

Oh my, am I a happy Chick Maiden or what!!! I love lists. Now I can keep them at my finger tips on my computer and not on paper lists on my desk. This is one new feature I'm very, very, very excited about.

The other thing that I'm trying to get to work right is Skype. I was fascinated with this idea when I first heard it advertized on TV long ago. My computer comes with a webcam and speakers, etc. The other night I downloaded Skype to me computer. My dear friends, Laura and her hubby Howard, have patiently let me Skype them to see how it is working. I've got everything just right. However, it appears I need to increase my DSL speed to make the sound right. I'll get that done sooner rather than later, I hope. The funny part is that I have a ceiling fan in my craft room. When I'm sitting at my computer it looks to Laura like I have a beany propeller cap on my head or the glow from the 3 light bulbs in the fan make me look like I have a halo around my head. But I do believe Skype will be fun to play with once I get the sound right.

Claude and I attended the Bluegrass ADD dinner last night. It was at the Embassy Suites in Lexington where we went last week for the Chamber of Commerce dinner. I was concerned about dry chicken again. This time we had tough beef. They put a sauce on it that is really good though. They also had a carrot cake that was super good. It seemed to be lighter in color and weight than the usual carrot cake.

They had a guest speaker who talked about a different approach to long-term care. They are approaching it from giving the patient back their voice and power. Overall it seemed like a good thing. She mentioned putting an open kitchen in one facility so the residents could cook for themselves if they chose. While this would be great for some, clearly an Alzheimer's patient doesn't need that access after they reach a certain point. But there were some good trends they are trying to create that would be great for some long-term care facilities.

I have no complaints as to the nursing home my mom is in. They just love her to pieces and care very tenderly for her.

Tonight I have two meetings in Lexington. So I'm off to be sure I'm prepared for them and get a few other things done in the process.

1 comment:

  1. I guess this means no more notes in baskets of sand huh?

    ReplyDelete