Friday, April 23, 2010

Yesterday I learned some new things...

Several months ago I taught a class to my Countryside Homemakers Club. This is a little club of ladies in our neighborhood. They are sponsored (if that is the right word) by the Scott County Extension office. There are many of homemakers clubs and the one I joined is right in Sadieville. My dear neighbor, JoCarol Wilson, has been asking me for a long time to join and I felt I was just toooooo busy. Then about a 1 1/2 years ago she got me a 'newsletter in the mail' membership. I thought about it and realized my life revolved around my Church work, my parents, and my family.  I realized I wanted to get to know my neighbors better and this would be a great opportunity to get to know some of them. We live in a great little neighborhood and community. I joined the club and have really enjoyed meeting with these ladies.

They meet once a month. One of the ladies is hostess and opens her home for our meeting. She provides the main course and the rest of us bring side dishes or desserts to compliment her main course. We have a business meeting, then a lesson provided by the extension service, then a game, then we enjoy lunch together.

A couple of times our meeting is a trip to somewhere fun for lunch. And we do not meet in the summer times, just during the school year.

JoCarol was supposed to teach and she and her hubby had to go out of town. She called and asked if I would teach in her place. I assured her I would love to do that. The lesson was on Osteoporosis. I went to the extension office a few weeks prior to teaching where they train the teachers in the particular subject they are going to teach. I thoroughly enjoyed this training and was very excited to teach about osteoporosis.

My lesson at the Countryside Homemakers was well received. I got to thinking, this is just good practical information, maybe I should offer to share it with the ladies at Church. One Sunday I spoke with the counselor in our ward Relief Society and told her about the lesson and suggested that, if they ever were having a meeting during the week that this topic would fit into, it might be a good lesson to have and I would be happy to teach it to them. Last night was the lesson.

Yesterday during the day I downloaded the PowerPoint presentation from the Kentucky website for Health. Then I printed all my handouts. I tweeked the PowerPoint to have the notes say the things I wanted to point out and added a definition slide and took out some slides and combined their information with others. By the afternoon I had my slideshow ready and my handouts all done. I gathered my pencils, index cards, and magnets. I was ready to teach.

Claude went to the city offices and borrowed their projector for me to use with my slideshow. This is something I've never used personally before. I've seen them used and just wanted to try it some time.

I took my new laptop to the breakfast table and set it up. Claude showed me how to set up the projector and connect it to my laptop. I practiced getting to my slideshow and flipping between slides. It is truly a simple thing but until one does it, you can be intimidated by the process. After my training, I was ready to get ready to go to the Church house and train.

I left my laptop on in case I wanted to check eMail's before I went to the Church. My power cord was in the basement so it was running on it's battery. I showered and got myself ready to go. Then I gathered all my things and finally turned off my laptop. I got everything in my car and headed to Georgetown. I dropped Papa's laundry off and then headed to the Church.

I was there in plenty of time to get set up before anyone arrived. I got my laptop set up and then the projector, connected the two and left them running. I'm thinking...the power coming from the wall to the projector and then out another cord from the projector to the computer is charging the computer....not so much!!

We started close to 7pm. I taught for about 30 minutes and then I got this warning message on my computer saying my battery was low. Because I thought the computer was charging through the projecter I did not bring my power cable. About half way through my presentation my computer shut down completely. I just finished without that projector and my slideshow.

The lesson went just fine. They ladies enjoyed the basic knowledge they gained. We had wonderful refreshments of healthy foods. I had a chance to visit with these good ladies. I'm gone so much with my calling that I know some faces but have never really had a chance to meet and visit with some of these sisters. I got to do that last night and it was just great fun.

Then I hurried home, with a stop at Wendy's for a Frosty for my guy and a Frosty for me. It was fun to learn something new and to make some new friends in the process and then to end the evening with the Big Guy Clauda.

Life was good yesterday!  Now I'll try to make a great day today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment