Sunday, April 4, 2010

"I'm Happy" & Other Thoughts...

This week Papa took a drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway. He just get stircrazy in his apartment and after being in all winter really needed a break. We had beautiful warm weather this Thursday and Friday. I picked up Tiny on Wednesday evening after my presidency meeting and took her home with me.

Thursday morning Papa got up, fed Mimi, and then drove to the Blue Ridge. Turns out NOTHING on the Blue Ridge was open. His plan was to camp in his Jeep. About 9 in the evening he found a spot he remembered and pulled his car off the road to bed down for the night. About 1am he heard someone banging on his car window. They told him he could not park there overnight. (Now, I learned that you never argue with an Alzheimer's patient because you'll never win. The same is true about arguing with an 81 year old man.) Papa asked the man why he couldn't park there. He was told in a very firm voice, "This is federal property and you can't stay here!" Papa said, "I know it is federal property, my taxes paid for it!!" Reluctantly Papa woke up and got ready to move his car and him. As he drove further down the highway he noticed a parking lot to a camping/picnic area. In the center of the parking lot were sleeping bags and a bunch of college age kids. They had not been asked to move. Go figure...may an 81 year old is an easier target.

Friday I went into Georgetown at noon to feed Mimi lunch. We worked our way through her eating all her lunch, dessert and two beverages. As I prepared to leave, I wrapped my arms around my mom and gave her a big hug. Then I looked her right in the face and said, "I love you mom." She looked up at me with her big brown eyes filled with a little bit of tears and said, "I'm happy. I'm happy." What a tender mercy!

This last week I have been trying to shift computers. My old PC is really trying to die on me and it is definitely slower than cold tar. Michael found a great deal on laptops and bought two. We bought one of them from him to replace my old PC. This necessitates the moving of files. Loading unique software to my needs. Making sure I know how to use the newer versions of the software on this new computer, etc., etc., etc.

I have now tranferred all my data. Found that I can't load a lot of the software that I really enjoy because the versions I have are too old.

My Palm Pilot software is even too old. Claude has checked on the Internet for upgrades to the software and it seems there is a dirth of help there. Most people are in my same boat and complaining about it already. I even stopped by the AT&T store Friday to see if they had any Palm cell phones. None in stock and don't expect any for at least a month. My other option is a Blackberry. I came home and did a good sync with my old computer. Then I printed out all my files on my current Palm Pilot.

I'll miss my old PC. You get used to them and they are like and old friend. The Mahjongg game I enjoyed will not transfer, the Create A Card Gold software will not transfer, the font CD will not transfer, the PCStitch software will not transfer, etc., etc., etc. These little treasures have provided me lots of help in creating things for others, or, in the case of Mahjongg, given me a bit of a break when things needed to slow down. My Camedia software will not transfer. That was the software from my first digital camera. I like the way it would edit pictures the best so I kept it and used it even after buying a newer digital camera with new editing software. I have lots of pictures and will sorely miss this software. But I'm sure there will be other software on this computer to edit those pictures with.

I think I've got everything moved and have actually used the Word software on this new computer to create a postcard for my Stake Leadership Training this month. I'll make the change and it will be a good thing for me. I'll make new software friends on this computer and I'll enjoy them. And, at the rate things change these days, in about 2 months, this computer will be out-of-date. Yike!!

Claude spent a few days with the Marx family. They purchased a wooden playset for Hayden and Bailey. Claude was called in to help Michael put it together. He came home very tired last night. But Andie tells me Hayden and Bailey are really happy with their new playland.

I'm off to watch General Conference. Then the mini-Marx's are coming for a visit. Can't wait for them to find their Easter eggs in the Easter baskets I got them. I filled plastic eggs with the foam letters that stick on things. The letters are flourescent glittery colors. I put three and four letters in each egg that spell words. Hayden is fascinated with spelling words and will love this Easter egg hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment