Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Can I Even Remember What Happened Last Week???

Wednesday morning, April 14th found us picking up Papa and heading to Louisville to the Louisville Temple. We met a friend from Church there and enjoyed an initiatory session at the temple. Claude treated us to lunch at Arby's on the way home. It was a beautiful day and a delightful morning.

We left Papa at his apartment and headed to Sadieville. I had until 3pm to get a few things done (about 1 1/2 hours) before headed back into Georgetown to sing with Papa at the nursing home. Mimi was in her wheel chair this time. She was not very responsive this day.

Thursday, April 15th Claude had a meeting at the Scott County Senior Center for volunteer recognition. He even got a certificate. When he brought it home I told him we needed to start a notebook with plastic sleeves of his time as Mayor. He gathered a few articles and things he has saved. He found a spare notebook. I had the plastic sleeves. I took all these to my craft room and put them in date order. Printed out all the eMail and Facebook notes he received when he became Mayor and put it all in this notebook. Now he can just give me the bits of paper and pictures and I'll at least keep them in order so we have a history of him being Mayor of Sadieville.

I spent all day working on stake Relief Society Leadership Training things.

Friday, April 16th was another prep day for Relief Society. It was actually the final prep day. I do enjoy getting things made for these kinds of functions. Here are some of the things I got to do:
  • I printed all the programs. They had the scripture we used for our theme on the front with a picture of the praying hands. The scripture is Isaiah 64:8 and reads, "But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand." The inside front page had the words to a special musical number Claude sang for us titled "His Hands". The inside back page had the actual program. The back cover had quotes and verses we (my entire presidency) found as we searched and prepared for this leadership training. It was a really nice program. I learned in this process that I could print in 'draft' mode and save a lot of ink. One would have thought I would have learned this many, many, many years ago...but alas, I just figured it out this time. This proves the old adage, "You CAN teach and old dog new tricks!!"
  • I made previously and we distributed and mailed the invitations. The idea was a collaborative effort. The end result was cardstock hands held together with tiny satin ribbon tied in a knot. The front outside of one had was the cover and had our scripture in Isaiah on it. The inside had the information about the date, time and place for our meeting with the RSVP information at the bottom. They were such cute invites. For the return address labels I used a picture of the praying hands and my address information.
  • We were having a sharing table at the end during the refreshment time. There was a name card on an easel for each of the 7 wards and 1 branch in our stake. We wanted to have a card the sisters could write the ideas that appealed to them and then have contact information for the other units so they could call them and talk about the ideas. I made the card after our presidency talked through how we wanted it to look. I made them on postcard paper. On the one side of the card was a hand print with the title of that side of the card saying "Sharing - Hand to Hand". You flipped over the card and on the back were two pieces of typing paper the size of the card. Each piece of paper had names and contact information for the Relief Society presidencies of 4 of the units in our stake. These three pieces of paper were tied on together on one end with tiny satin ribbon.
  • For my training session with the presidents I made labels for file folders for them to put the information they received during the morning training.
  • I also made a sheet of paper for them to take notes on during the training. The title at the top of the note paper read, "NOTES, Stake Relief Society Leadership Meeting, Saturday, April 17, 2010". At the bottom of this front side of the paper I had a quote by Susan Tanner "The Lord has promised us that He will not forget us because He has 'graven [us] upon the palms of [His] hands" (Isaiah 49:16). And our promise to Him is that we will not forget Him, for we have graven Him in our hearts. On the back of the note paper I listed my 4 resources for lesson material and the scriptures found in those resources.
  • I shared a wonderful story about Emma who was a Relief Society president in Indonesia. Mary Ellen Edmunds shared this story with us on our cruise ship in Hawaii. I gave each sister a little jewelry bag that Claude provided for me. In that bag I put 1 teaspoon of rice, I punched a hole in the sealed bag and tied dark blue satin ribbon like you would find on a nice bookmark. Then I created labels with a picture of two hands open and the palms up with a map of the world painted on them and 'Emma's Hands' typed on the label. A label was placed one each bag of rice. We compared Emma's story to visiting teaching.
  • I also found little wooden hands at Michael's. I made a bunch of hand magnets with them. I painted both sides with flesh colored paint. Then I made labels with the reference only of Isaiah 64:8 (our theme scripture) and printed them on clear labels. I cut out just the reference and put it on one side of the hand. Then I tied a bow around the pointer finger of each hand (like the kind you use to help you remember something). On the back I put a bit of magnetic tape. They made really cute little magnets.
It was great fun making these items for our meeting. But my presidency each took a bit of our program and made things as well.

Lisa, my 1st counselor, had a great idea and made us name tags that were little cut out hands. Each hand had our name and the words 'I' on the little finger, 'love' on the pointer finger and 'service (for the presidents)' on the thumb. She brought down the other two middle fingers and stuck them down with our names and the position we serve in so that the hand was making sign language for "I love you". They were just adorable.

Laura, my 2nd counselor, made a slide presentation using pictures of all the Relief Society presidencies hands in our stake as well as other pictures of hands we had taken over time. I took pictures of each of the Savior's hand on the Christus statue in the Laie, Hawaii Temple visitor's center. I had pictures of my hand holding Mimi's hand and one of Papa holding Mimi's hand. While Howard, Laura's husband, played the slide show, Claude sang "His Hands" and I accompanied him on the piano. It was extremely moving. Laura also had pictures printed of each of the pictures we took of our presidencies hands and put them on construction paper for us to use was wall decorations.

Barbara, my secretary, had her granddaughter, Maggie, draw for us hands and write on them things that hands do. Maggie also drew us a big piece of paper with lots of hands on it.

On Friday I also received in the mail a package from the Distribution Center in Salt Lake City. In trying to be sure have all the items I need to cloth my mother for her burial, I realized that the white things she was going to wear are yellowed. Claude and I talked and determined we would give my mother my white clothing and buy new for me to use. That package came and now I can be sure I'm ready in the clothing department.

Now back to my update on my daily activities. Friday evening as I was getting ready to make my pimento cheese for Saturday's lunch, we got a call from Jake. He was calling in to let us know he received his birthday present. It is always nice to know that item you mailed made it to it's destination. I had a most wonderful and very long chat with my youngest child. Although at 35 it seems strange to say child. It was a great talk about fun stuff and tender feelings about some things. Just a great mix and a conversation I love having with my kids.

Saturday was the Stake Relief Society Leadership Meeting we had done all this preparation for. We arrived at the Church by 8:30am or so. Jaime Kumar our High Council advisor was there to help. We set up our tables and did our decorations as quickly as we could. Then we gave instructions to Bro. Kumar, Claude and Howard about what we were serving for our light lunch. These good men would prepare everything we brought while we taught our training sessions. Thank heaven for good priesthood support!!!

Lisa was conducting this training meeting and I was playing the piano. I started prelude about 10 minutes before the meeting was to start. Lisa started us right on time at 10am. She had prepared very well. She welcomed us and acknowledged our helpers. We had an opening hymn and prayer. Then Lisa shared our theme by reading "The Touch of the Master's Hands" from a big picture book of mine. Denise brought her violin and it was laying on the table at the front of the room as Lisa read the story/poem. When she got to the part where the master comes forward and plays the violin, Denise got up from her chair at the back of the room and came to the front, picked up her violin and played "I Stand All Amazed". Then Lisa finished the story that tells of the worth of that violin changing in the auction because it was played by a master and everyone could see it's worth.

Then Lisa introduced Lyndell Gordon, our keynote speaker. Lynn did a masterful job of teaching us about hands. Lynn had an experience as a very young child of an ax chopping her hand so she may have lost it. But a good doctor tried to save it, her mother rubbed olive oil into it daily for a very long time as it healed. Today you can't tell she had this accident and it has never stopped her from doing all the things with her hand that anyone could or would want to do. It was Lynn's right hand that was injured and she tied in how important raising that right hand to sustain and to make covenants with is. It was an extremely tender story and told with just the right words and emphasis to help us understand how important hands are.

The concluding portion of our opening session was the slideshow playing while Claude sang "His Hand". It was the perfect sealing of all the feelings in the room and set a perfect stage for us to go into our departments and train about our hands serving in our areas.

I taught about "The Principle of Presidency". We had a great discussion and it was a truly wonderful training session.

Then we all went to the Young Women's room for a light lunch to check out the sharing tables. Our priesthood had a beautiful buffet set up for us. Sisters met each other and shared ideas. Then the priesthood cleaned up the kitchen and helped us put away tables and chairs.

Then Claude and I headed back to Sadieville for our next meeting. We got to City Hall just after the meeting started. Everyone couldn't help but notice us come in a bit late. I found a seat on the front row and settled in for Cindy's talk about all the people who have volunteered over the last year. She had certificates for everyone signed by Governor Bashear. While she was speaking we all heard a little boy's voice say, "Uh Oh! Spaghettio's!"  He just kept saying it over and over. It was my cell phone. I recorded on my phone Hayden saying this a year ago and then saved it as my ring tone. I grabbed my purse and turned to explain it was my grandson. Then I headed out of the room to take my call.

There was a guest speaker at this meeting. She is doing the research to find out about people who lived in Sadieville and attended the Rosenwald School and/or Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church and who may have been part of the group that went to Nicodemus, Kansas. It was very fascinating to listen to how she methodically tried to learn about these people and the research she did.

Then Claude gave the first ever 'State of the City' address by a Mayor of Sadieville. In his own deadpan way he delivered those lines that are vintage Claude. Two of my favorites that made the front page of the Georgetown News Graphic were 1) "On the whole we can do better--the best help we can find will be at the end of our arms." and 2) "For the future we have a plan, and while it's true Custer had a plan, we know what we need, we know where we are going and we know how to get there." This meeting was followed by more light lunch foods and nice conversations with citizens, candidates and visitors.

Then Claude and I hurried back home to put away that meetings things and get ready for the last event of our Saturday...a reception at Georgetown College for the Sister City Program. Georgetown has a sister city in Tahara, Japan. Georgetown and Tahara have been sister cities for 20 years this year. It is a good friendship and many people have gone to Tahara to visit and many citizens of Tahara have been to Georgetown, KY to visit. The first thing they shared were kite festivals in each city. Now they have quilt guilds that share ideas with each other. They have a relationship between the libraries of each city. They share a relationship between the colleges of each city. And the list goes on (think Sonny and Cher).

The program was to have been finished by 9:10pm. I found that an interesting stop time. It actually ended at 10:30pm. It seems everyone took more than their alloted time to speak. Everyone exchanged gifts with everyone else. And the little lady that was the interpreter listened to everything in English and translated to Japanese or listened to it in Japanese and translated it to English. It was an enjoyable evening. There were two posters to sign as you entered. It was great fun to watch the Japanese write in Japanese and then English. The lady playing the harp while we ate refreshments was fantastic. Then a country band played for 30 minutes. The program began after that.

We sat at a table with 5 other people. One of the men said the cutest jokelike thing: "What did the snail say as it rode on the back of the turtle?"  Answer:  "Wheeeee!!"

Sunday, April 18th I had to go to Winchester, Kentucky for the Winchester Ward Conference. These are special meetings held in each ward once a year. I got up and knew in the back of my head I needed to be out of the house by 8:30 to get to Lisa's home by 9am so we could be to Winchester by 9:30am. I got up with Claude at 7am and got myself ready except for putting on my Sunday clothes. Then I headed downstairs to check eMails and things before time for me to leave. I needed to find some things Lisa asked me to bring for our Paris Ward. As I was getting those things together I looked at my watch and realized it was 8:33am. I should be on the road. I still had to dress in the Sunday clothes and load my car. I moved into hyperspeed and eventually headed down the highway as quickly as this little round body could move. I called Lisa on my cell phone and warned her I would be later than 9am getting to her home. As I approached her exit I received  a call from her on my cell phone asking if she and Barbara should go on and just meet me there. I told her I was about to take her exit. I asked for her and Barbara to choose front or back seat and I would slow down in front of her home as they hopped in my car. Bottom line -- we made it to Winchester in plenty of time.

Howard Carter, hubby of my 2nd counselor, Laura Carter, has named our Relief Society presidency the SRSPG (Stake Relief Society Play Group). We are a happy lot and truly enjoy serving together. Laura was unable to attend our leadership training on Saturday. Her mom was very ill and she needed and should have been with her. We missed seeing and being with her so much on Saturday. Imagine our surprise when Lisa, Barbara and I walked into the Winchester Ward chapel and sitting on the back side row waiting for us was Laura. It was just great. We had big hugs and enjoyed that sisterhood we feel with each other. I do love these ladies so very much.

I had a wonderful experience during the sacrament. I read my scriptures as they pass the sacrament. I have a brain that flits from one thing to the other and makes wonderful lists of things to do and has a hard time focusing on what it should focus on sometimes. So during the passing of the sacrament I read my scriptures with the thought running through my head "How does this apply or fit with the atonement?" This has served me well over the years. Reading scriptures with a question in mind often brings out points that you may already know but the meaning becomes more burned in your heart and mind. Sometimes I just really learn something I needed to know. This last Sunday I was reading in Jeremiah. I came across a verse that read something like "they would not repent". I read that and in my mind I read two things at once. See how that brain of mine goes. I read what was actually written on the page "they would not repent" but my mind also saw the words "they would not partake of the atonement". It was like a bolt to me. I quickly went to the back of my scriptures and took out my little tablet I keep there for 'ah-ha' moments and made note of the experience. I thought of my understanding and feelings about all the Savior willingly and voluntarily suffered and endured so I could repent and be forgiven. If I don't repent, then in effect I am saying "I will not partake of all that you did for me. I'll just pass that by." It was one of those moments I'll remember forever.

We had a good ward conference. After the meetings Dawna Bennett, the ward Relief Society president and I went on a ministering visit. We visited Sandra Lael. She is a very dear young mother from Mexico. She has 4 beautiful little girls. When we got to her home they were all dressed in their Sunday best sitting on the sofa each with a chocolate ice cream cone in their hand. We enjoyed our little visit with this sweet mom and her little girls.

I met Lisa and Barbara back at the church building and we headed back to Lisa's home in Lexington.

After dropping them off at Lisa's I headed to Georgetown. I first went to Papa's apartment and we set up our music program for today at the nursing home.

Then I headed to the nursing home to visit my mom. I got there as the little group were providing and worship service to the residents at the nursing home. Two of the ladies sing and they were in full performance mode as I entered the multi-purpose room. This week they had flags and they were singing praises and waving those flags as they walked among the residents. I found my mom and their pastor pulled a chair over so I could sit beside her. Mom was shaking. I think the loudness of the music and those flags waving were a little disconcerting to her mind that can't grasp what is happening but knows it is not peaceful. Don't get me wrong, the ladies were doing a great job, they have wonderful voices, and they were full of energy and spirit. I was enjoying it tremendously. But to a confused mind it just makes it more confusing.

I sat by my mom and held her hands until she began to relax a bit. She didn't look at me very much this time. She was not talkative at all. But she was more calm with me there holding her hands.

At the end of the service the ladies sing some more while the pastor goes to each resident, takes their hands and prays. It is a nice thing and very comforting to those residents, many of which never go outside that building. He came to my mother and me near the very end. He held my hand and place his hand over my mother's hands. I couldn't help but reflect on our training the day before about hands. He said a very nice prayer. I'm a great believer in the power of prayer and faith. I believe that God hears all our prayers no matter what church we belong to. I always appreciate the prayers of others and am grateful that this little pastor takes time to come to the nursing home and give his message to the residents of the nursing home. I don't agree doctrinally with all he preaches. But I appreciate our shared love of the Savior and our belief in faith and prayers.

Then it was time to get home to Sadieville. I was beat when I got home. I just curled up on the love seat and watched some TV with Claude, worked a few Sudoku puzzles and tried to slow down my pace. Eventually I did make my way downstairs to check eMail's.

Monday, April 19th was a really sluggish day. It seems the older I get I just need a catch-up day after a big event or weekend. I did manage to get things put away that I took for the leadership training. I also got some things straightened out in my Relief Society notebook. Lots of paperwork was put on hold until I finished this weekend. I also got some things done in my home.

Tuesday, April 20th I spent the morning working in my home. In the afternoon I had a new Relief Society president to orient. She lives in Lexington. So I went in with Papa and Claude to Lexington. They volunteer at the Family History Center on one side of Lexington two Tuesdays a month. I left them there and headed to the other side of Lexington to visit with this new president. It was great to visit with her and give her some materials to get started with. She is going to be great!!

On the way back to pick up Claude and Papa my car just had to turn from Man O' War onto Richmond Road. It seems to always want to go up the road and into the drive-thru for Krispy Kreme donuts when it is in that neighborhood. I purchased a dozen glazed donuts to surprise my boys with when I picked them up.

Then Claude and I took Papa home and Claude took me to dinner at Subway in Walmart. We needed to do a bit of shopping in the grocery store there so Subway was a good place to have dinner before chugging home.

Today I did my ironing. Yeah me!! Then I started this blog entry to catch that up. I stopped before I completed it to go in and sing at the nursing home with Papa. I put my purse in front of Mimi again. She usually keeps her hands clasped like a little child getting ready to say a prayer. If I put my purse with the straps on the side facing her she will often unclasp her hands and play with the straps. She did that today off and on and seemed to enjoy the change of pace. After singing with Papa I came back and sat with her again. Papa always ends his program with music on the harmonica for Jim Ford and music on the mandolin for Geraldine Cannon. During this music I put my hand in mom's. She held them and played with my fingers like they were some interesting object. Then she just held my hand. Papa finished and I usually get up and help him put away his musical instruments and music stands and take them to the car. I started to get up and Mimi would not let go of my hand. So I sat down and let her hold them a bit longer. It was very nice to have that little moment with her.

Claude picked me up. We dined at Fazoli's. We are home and I'm finishing my blog. Claude is one the hill unloading the bricks from his Jeep that he will use to begin a retaining wall on the hill for this Jeep path down the hill. It will be a lot of work and will have to be done a bite at the time.

Wow, I didn't remember everything but I remembered a lot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment