Sunday, September 5, 2010

Church Chuckles...

Today we got to the end of Sacrament Meeting (Worship Service) and the counselor in our bishopric was getting ready to announce the closing hymn "I Believe In Christ". This is a much loved hymn for many members. As he started to announce that part, he must have been looking at my hubby because he said something like this, "We'll now sing the closing hymn, 'I Believe in Claude'." Then he caught himself and corrected it to "I Believe In Christ". We were all working very hard to not laugh out loud. Claude had several people come up to him after Church and say, "I believe in you Claude!"

After all our meetings we have choir practice. We got to the end of choir practice and our chorister was telling us cute stories. One of our choir members is a doctor and had been paged several times during our meetings and left one time to go over to the hospital. He is Claude's counselor and was sitting by Claude in the choir seats. Claude could tell he really needed and wanted to get going since we were done. All we needed was a closing prayer. Finally he burst out, "Need a volunteer for the prayer, I'll do it. "And he went right into a fervent and rather robust but brief prayer. It was ended with a grand 'Amen!!'  In like manner all the members of the choir said a rousing, AMEN!! We are usually a bit quieter with prayers. The sister next to me said, "I don't know what just happened then. It felt like I was at a Baptist meeting and I couldn't help myself but say a loud 'Amen' at the end." We both smiled. I do believe my Baptist friends would have enjoyed that moment with us.

It is always nice to have a sense of humor about us. I believe the good Lord expects us to have a sense of humor and enjoy this life whenever we can. Today, I bet he was smiling at us all trying to do the right thing and enjoying it together as a ward family.

No comments:

Post a Comment