Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Homemaker...Retired...

I've had several occasions lately to fill in cards for different things. I've entered my employment as 'homemaker' and 'retired'. While speaking with someone on the phone this week when canceling an appointment, they asked when I had to be at work. Hmmm...

It has given me pause.  I found myself explaining that I was retired and did not work outside my home. I am a homemaker; however, that doesn't mean I have a lot of free time.

I was struck once again, with that feeling that one can get from society, that a homemaker is not work. You have tons of free time since you would appear by the 'title' to be in your home all day, every day. Somehow what you do is not as good as a 'career' outside your home. 

I found myself balking at that idea. I found myself wanting to shout out how important being a homemaker is. The best place to shout out today would be to post something cryptic on Facebook.  I didn't do that. Thought about it, but didn't do it.  I decided to ponder my feelings a bit before blasting to the universe via my Blog.

I was blessed to be married to a man who wanted to provide so I could be home to raise our children. We went without a lot of extras so this could happen. We neither regret that or the fact our kids didn't have every toy or article of clothing that 'everyone else' had. We were a happy family. Claude and I respected each other and the contributions we each made so our family could be a family as we believe it should be.

I had a miscarriage when Jake, our youngest, was 4 years old.  It was very tough for me.  I handled it fine but it left a hole that I needed to fill.  I was not finding the right filler for that hole.  Enter that Big Guy, Clauda.  He knew they needed a part-time helper at the Bishop's Storehouse not far from our home, someone to help the secretary with her mounting work load. Claude felt like that kind of service outside our home would be what I needed to get fully back on track.

My best friend, Cindy Axtell, had three kids my kids age. Her youngest and my youngest were the same age and very good friends. Cindy agreed to watch Jake for me a couple of afternoons a week so I could help Bobbie at the Bishop's Storehouse.

It was good to be out and do something for others that was positive and useful and needed.

After all my kids were in school I went to work delivering Johnny Appleseed bags. These are bags filled with coupons that you hang on doors of homes. It required a lot of walking. The exercise was good. It could also be done while my kids were in school and I was home to pick them up.

I also helped as a teachers aide at the middle school as the kids got a little older.  Again my schedule meant I was home when my kids were. I was happy with that.

Another thing I did was teach piano lessons in my home. I couldn't teach anyone to be a concert pianist or all those nifty technical things I really didn't care for, but I could teach them to play a hymn for church or a piece of music for fun. My students and their parents knew this and I had a brisk business of kids learning to play a little piano. I even opened my own checking account so I could establish some credit history for myself. Lessons were taught in the afternoon and evening and I was at least in my home in case my kids needed me.

Eventually I began to hold full-time, out-of-my-home, jobs.  Nothing I ever intended to make a career. I was a cosmetologist, a secretary, an administrative assistant, a sales manager, a director of operations, a temporary office worker between jobs, and ended my work-outside-the-home life as an executive administrative assistant.

When it came time to 'retire', I was ready, more so than Claude. He prepared so he could retire at 55. But when the actual time came he was more concerned with what he would do with himself to stay a busy person. He was still a young man at 55 and not really ready to sit on the front porch and drink lemonade for years. Knowing my hubby, I was sure he would find something that challenged him a bit so he learned something still and kept him moving but fit his schedule instead of dictating it. My only concern for him was if he found something that was a paying type job that the teeny tiny check might throw him for a loop. We talked about all these things and trusted that Claude would do just that, find a new course of activity that challenged him and allowed him to learn at mostly his own pace.  It is interesting that Sadieville provided that opportunity for him as a city commissioner and then the Mayor. Now he sits on boards that number in the teens and has a very full life and knows lots of people in our community.

Now, back to me and retirement. Like I said, I was ready on all levels: physical, mental, and emotional.  As I look at it, I believe that having worked in our home for so many years as a full-time homemaker, I knew that would fill my time nicely. To it I wanted to add my Church service, my family, and some form of involvement with my community. I felt no need to earn a paycheck. I had years of experience knowing that 'homemaker' is a full-time job and a very fulfilling one at that. So I didn't have the worry about retiring that Claude did.

The other thing I want to make note of it service in our Church and the training it gives me.

I have only attended one day of college in my life. I went with Claude to his sociology class when he was in college. Other than that my level of education is listed as high school . I also graduated from Vera Nell's Beauty School and was a licensed cosmetologist (beautician).

The bulk of my training in how to work was done through callings at Church. I learned to teach, to speak, to prepare large meetings and banquets, to lead music and accompany choirs and congregations, and to produce newsletters. There are so many ways we serve and from each of those bits of service we take away a bit more training and skill. I attribute a lot of my 'education' to Church service.

The end of all this diatribe is that I believe I am a well-rounded individual. I have lots that I enjoy about life and living it. I'm pleased to be a 'homemaker'.

I sincerely hope that every young mother today can feel good about filling in those blanks on forms with 'homemaker'. They are doing the most important work of all. It is the stuff that makes a better world for everyone.  It is a work that molds and prepares the next generation to lead our world. Just think of the importance of last sentence for good or ill in our world today.

Yep, I'm happy and full of the best kind of pride that I'm a 'homemaker' and that I have three great kids that are now productive, honest, hardworking adults in their own right. I have a hubby and a home that we both still love to come to everyday of our lives. It is a home, not a pretty show house, but a home that you can feel love in when you walk in the front door.

That is the work of a 'homemaker' and, as my father used to say for fun, "I are one!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment