Saturday, November 19, 2011

An Occasion for a New Dress...

Claude received an invitation to Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc.'s 25th Anniversary reception and brunch. He accepted for the two of us. I asked the appropriate attire and he said, "Business Attire". Hmmmm...Where I work (in my home) it is jeans and a sweat shirt at the current moment. I knew that was not what Claude was calling "Business Attire".

Knowing we were really representing Sadieville, I pondered over the next week or so what I might wear that would be appropriate. Then, on Wednesday, between visiting teaching appointments and visiting my mom and dad, I had an extra hour and I was already in Georgetown. My little red Buick sped to the Outlet Mall and parked in the lot in front of the Dress Barn. Just maybe I could quickly find the perfect 'whatever' to wear.

I did find a really cute black knit dress. Many years ago I had a maroon knit dress that I loved with my black boots. As I've aged, I haven't had the courage to try on a knit dress from many years. As I eyed this dress, my heart said, "This is the one."  My keen intellect said, "Maybe not."

About the time I was have this mental struggle, the sales lady came by and asked if she could help with anything. For some reason I was quite frank with her and said, "I really love this dress and I'm sure it will go over my hips but not so sure about my tummy." She very promptly said, "I think it will be fine. Why don't you try it on and see?"  With that bit O'encouragment I headed into the dressing room.

Did I say I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY liked this dress?  Did I mention I usually only buy what I see on sale? Well, my courage boosted by a very polite sales lady, I tried on this lovely article of clothing. It fit perfectly!!! Yeah!!!  The deed was done and I walked out of the store with the perfect dress for the Toyota Reception and Brunch.

I told Claude when I finally got home that evening that I treated myself to a dress shopping experience and had the dress to end all dresses for our Saturday date. I did not show him the dress until I was ready to go this morning. He had a huge grin on his face and pronounced it beautiful. That was just what I wanted to hear.

We were off to Keeneland's Entertainment Center in Lexington for the 10:30am reception.

We drove the Jeep this time. It is such a great vehicle for parking in whatever spot one can find. Imagine our surprise when we drove behind Keeneland's Entertainment Center to the parking lot and found the only parking was valet parking. I'm diligently trying to learn a few more Spanish words from my "Spanish for Gringos" textbook. I was surprised when I looked up and realized someone was coming to open my door and I was not prepared to get out yet. Claude looked very uncertain about giving the steering wheel to someone else. Can you tell, we NEVER use valet parking?  Such silliness. They took the Jeep and we entered the Entertainment Center.

The Entertainment Center is built like a horse barn. Now, unless you have lived in Kentucky, when someone says 'horse barn', you might think of a rough looking building. Not so in the Bluegrass State.  Horse barns here are amazingly beautiful buildings, some even have chandeliers hanging from the ceilings. The front patio area of this center had tarps covering the openings. These tarps had windows in them. There was a bluegrass band playing in one corner. There was an open bar and people passing around trays of elegant little hors d'oeuvres. At the far end of the patio they had a reception line to meet important Toyota people: Chairman of Toyota Motor Corporation, Fuji Cho and his wife, Chairman of Toyota Manufacturing, Kentucky, Steve St. Angelo, President of Toyota Manufacturing, Kentucky, Wil James and his wife, Corporate Advisor Toyota Manufacturing, Kentucky, Osamu Ushio and his wife.

Claude enjoyed the hors d'oeuvres, we mingled and went through the receiving line. Then the trumpeter for Keeneland entered in his official trumpeter duds and played the piece they do for the races. We were welcomed and invited to enter the Entertainment Center proper and find out assigned tables for brunch.

We were to sit at table 4. It was right in front of the stage. Claude and I both figured someone made a mistake. Seated with us was an official of Toyota and a lady I assume was his wife, the Mayor of Georgetown, Everette Varney and his wife, the Mayor of Lexington, Jim Gray and a man who must be his aide. It was a nice table for conversation and enjoying an absolutely wonderful meal. While we dined there was a slide show projected on screens around the room of events during Toyota's history in Georgetown, Kentucky. There was even a slide of them presenting the check to Sadieville for our Rosenwald School.

After the meal I suddenly felt like I was on a cruise and in the major dining room. Suddenly there were people in black pants and white shirts clapping and singing "Celebrate good times, come on" and moving around all the tables. Eventually all these singers ended up on the stage. Turns out they are the Lexington singers. They next sang "Stand By Me". 

Wil James took the stand and began the remainder of the program. He introduced the government leaders in attendance, which included Claude. Amazing!

Steve St. Angelo spoke. Martha Layne Collins spoke. She was Governor when Kentucky won the bid to have Toyota build its first plant in the United States. She even has a highway named after her in Kentucky. Checks were given to four non-profit organizations that Toyota supports and a Toyota Camry was given to Bluegrass Pride. Wil James spoke and then turned the microphone over to Fujio Cho. He actually lived in Kentucky at the beginning of Toyota being here. He is a well loved figure. He ended his talk by saying, "I'm glad to be back in 'My Old Kentucky Home'". This produced a rousing round of applause.

The Lexington Singers returned to the stand and we all stood as they sang "My Old Kentucky Home".  This song always touches my heart. I've lived in 5 states. I know they all have a state song. But I can't remember a single one of them. Kentucky has this grand tradition of standing to sing their state song at major events. They usually have a vocalist sing the verses and the audience joins in on the chorus. It is just moving to be a part of that connection. I found a tear welling up in my eye as we sang the chorus together. It was just neat today, as it always is.

We would leave and get in the line for the valet to bring our bright yellow Jeep back to us. When I went to hop in the front seat I was surprised to see a gift sitting on the front seat. Could it be that all this valet parking was so each guest could quietly receive a gift?  I opened it as Claude pointed the car to Versailles Road. It was a beautiful piece of pottery made in Louisville with the Kentucky logo of a horse head with mane blowing in the breeze.

From the gorgeous flowers, to the delicious food, to the quiet elegance of the morning, this was a most delightful affair to attend. Toyota always does things just right. It was a pleasure to go to this event in my new black knit dress on the arm of my honey.

Now, I want to add one more comment. 

In America today we are always strongly recommending 'buy American' and we should. I do not disagree with that idea. However, before anyone is quick to reject a Toyota made product because its owners are Japanese, I would submit, from my seven years of living in Kentucky right up the road from their first manufacturing plant in the United States, that Toyota is one of the best business partners a community could ask for. In their 25 years they have given back to the community $52,000,000 to organizations (like Sadieville's Rosenwald School restoration).  When their plant was shut down for production because of all the auto hubbub, they allowed their 7,000 employees to take paid vacation or provide hours of community service for which they were paid until they could restart production. They are a good neighbor. They care about their employees and treat them well.

It seems they are not going to make my Buick's after 2012. As I ponder where to turn in the auto market when I have to replace my current Buick, I must admit a Toyota product might loom in my future.  I know it is a good product in and of itself.  But more than that, I know they are good people that care about our community.

So, there you have it. I had a great morning with my hubby. Thanks Toyota for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment