Saturday, November 26, 2011

Sandi Reflects...

A few months ago, I awoke with a bit of sun coming between the curtains in our bedroom. As I began to roll over the sunlight struck my wedding band. My arms had been wrapped around my pillow and my wedding band was just barely within range of that ray of light. But, for some reason, the flicker of brightness off my wedding band seemed larger than life.

It is a simple plain gold band. It is the most perfect wedding ring ever. Never having a desire for a diamond engagement ring, my wish was always for a plain gold band. That is what I wear, a plain gold band, now a bit scruffed after 41 years of marriage.

As I looked at the light reflect off my ring, a phrase pop into my head, "A band of gold as I grow old reflects a life well spent".  This phrase struck me as very powerful.  I fumbled in my nightstand for pencil and paper and wrote the phrase down. Then I continued to try and really wake up.

As I got ready for the morning I felt the urge to build on that phrase and write about my feelings. I carried the paper in my notebook as we made a trip. I did not added to it. 

Over the past few months I did jot a note or two more. Today I have finished my thoughts and will record them here on my Blogger Journal.

Sandi Reflects

A band of gold
As I grow old
Reflects a life well spent.

Little fingers on a tiny hand
Lay within my worn palm
And speak of generations bound by love.

A bookmark placed to mark the spot
Of a journey of mind and heart.

The note of a melody pitched just right
For my voice to sing as it lowers with years.

The scent of a flower,
A breeze full of memories,
Bare feet on grass or sand,
Unmindful I am singing aloud
As daily life moves on.

Needles, hooks, thread and yarn
Crafted is some gift for another.

A treasure displayed from my past,
A reminder of heritage
And hope for a legacy left for others.

Traveling or safely inside our humble home
With my eternal companion.
Moments sometimes difficult, sometimes tender,
The strength of his arm will protect, care and love.

Children to laugh with, cry with, appreciate with,
To cherish their strengths and achievements,
And be grateful they call me ‘Mother’.

Grandmonsters with energy unbounded
Fill my cup to overflowing.

Parents who lived so far away
Now to spend their last years close.

True friends near and far
But always close at heart.

The love of my Savior confirms my reason for life,
Gives me purpose and direction.

Mine is a full life, a happy life, a blessed life.
Today I feel peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment